I feel really good after a run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel really good after a run

Healthy and relaxed. Same with a bike ride. But nothing makes me feel better than swimming. The rest of the day I feel like I am super fit. I love it!

That is not to say I enjoy the actual exercise than running or biking, just the after effects.

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
    Healthy and relaxed. Same with a bike ride. But nothing makes me feel better than swimming. The rest of the day I feel like I am super fit. I love it!

That is not to say I enjoy the actual exercise than running or biking, just the after effects.
    I am going to get in the pool for hte first time this year at lunch. Looking forward to it. Lets see if I have enough in me to do an olympic tri in 3 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
      I am going to get in the pool for hte first time this year at lunch. Looking forward to it. Lets see if I have enough in me to do an olympic tri in 3 weeks.

Good luck Piney. That is 1 mile swim, right? That is the distance I swam this morning; my second time in the pool this year. Pecs are a little sore, but overall I feel great.

Comment

Agreed with a single caveat: Lungs, mind & most of the body feel fantastic, but do you ever find yourself finishing up a swim with a searing pain in the shoulder that lingers for a few days. I've had a couple of surgeries to tighten up the ligament capsule there, and it feels rock solid so I doubt it's an injury but rather a bad stroke or just a typical training experience. Any triathletes (or other recreational swimmers) experience this?

Comment

Originally posted by beelzebabette View Post
          Agreed with a single caveat: Lungs, mind & most of the body feel fantastic, but do you ever find yourself finishing up a swim with a searing pain in the shoulder that lingers for a few days. I've had a couple of surgeries to tighten up the ligament capsule there, and it feels rock solid so I doubt it's an injury but rather a bad stroke or just a typical training experience. Any triathletes (or other recreational swimmers) experience this?

Sorry, I can't help you. The only pain I feel after swimming is the pecs but it is just a soreness, not a searing pain. I have never had shoulder problems, but have always been a natural swimmer.

Comment

More often than not I finish up a swim feeling rather bloated from all the water I drank as I went. Things are getting better with time, but I just rarely swam freestyle before a month or so ago. I've gotten so I can keep my head down and breath out of one side, but struggle alternating and end up drinking more than I'd like.

If I can burp at some point towards the end of my swim, I end the swim feeling much better than when I don't.

One of these days I'm going to figure out how to do those flip turns on the wall, but for now I'm afraid of the amount of water I might drink trying it out.

As a side note - I've been looking at some swimming jammers and see that the most prominent materials they are made from are polyester and lycra. Any pros or cons of one versus the other?

By the way - I agree that I feel really good after a swim too. I like following up my run or bike with even 10-15 minutes of swimming, and I come out actually feeling better than when I just run or bike. Not sure what it is.

Comment

Never had that and it doesn't sound good. Nope not at all. Searing pain that last for a few days, can't be good. Why have you had a few surgeries? Did you swim a lot when you were younger?

Comment

Good luck Piney. That is 1 mile swim, right? That is the distance I swam this morning; my second time in the pool this year. Pecs are a little sore, but overall I feel great.
                Yeah, it is a mile and it is an open water swim up at 7600 ft. It is a great tri. http://highsierratri.org/junelake.html

Comment

Never had that and it doesn't sound good. Nope not at all. Searing pain that last for a few days, can't be good. Why have you had a few surgeries? Did you swim a lot when you were younger?
                  Didn't swim that much--just your average kid that went swimming a handful of times eachsummer. First surgery was (I guess) the experimental thermal release. I was one of the fortunate ones (apparently) and it didn't eat away at the ligament. This was after falling on it playing volleyball followed by a year in the MTC dishroom (repetitive motion) that left my arm hanging loose from the socket. It held pretty well for nine years until Turkey Bowl 2004 followed several months later by a canoeing trip where my stroke pulled and stretched the ligaments out pretty good. I tried physical therapy, and the PT said it was only making it worse and sent me
                  off to a surgeon. So ten years later, similar surgery but sewing pleats in to tighten it up. (I think he called it lateral release, but this is how he dumbed it down for me.) I haven't had any other problems like rotator cuff or anything else. I do the recommended exercises still and seems rock solid, like I say.

As for the pain itself, it first started diving down to swim underwater in the ocean on vacation. (I'd been doing it for several days without problem previously.) Similar pain goofing off in the pool a couple of weeks ago. Searing in the top front part of the shoulder, unlike what I've had in the past towards the middle of the joint--pain more driven by the inflammation. You have me a little curious now. I've just treated it as a sign I'd had a good enough workout for the day. Thinking about it, I'm vaguely remembering something similar a few months back helping my brother remodel & breaking up the floor tile with a sledgehammer & chisel, but I can't figure how the two activities would relate.

Sorry. I know that's overly detailed, but I don't know what's relevant to your question.

Comment

I usually end up spending the day trying to knock the water out of my ears. Otherwise, I like swimming.
                    What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
                    -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                      As a side note - I've been looking at some swimming jammers and see that the most prominent materials they are made from are polyester and lycra. Any pros or cons of one versus the other?
                      I tried my pair of jammers for the first time today. I have these: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cm...articleid=1659

Worked fine. they do ride a bit low, but that is the style with all of them. At least I didn't feel like they were going to fall off so that is a bonus. Good deal for 15.

Also for anyone that is going to do an openwater swim in the future, I have a good deal on Xterra wetsuits; essentially 50% off a 400 dollar suit if anyone is interested contact me for the coupon codes .

Comment

I tried my pair of jammers for the first time today. I have these: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cm...articleid=1659

I use a Tyr jammer. My first few weeks training last year I was using my surf trunks. When I switched to jammers, I was shocked at the drag that the trunks created. You won't catch me in a speedo, but I will never train again without the jammers.

Comment

Ladies, I hope you all go to this website http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cm...articleid=1466 and check out "The BT Men's Leg Shaving Shootout." He even discusses how hard shaving the knees is.

EDIT: The waxing portion begins around the twenty-minute mark if you don't have time for the whole video. My favorite comment was, "If you're gonna wax your legs to avoid the pain that's associated with hair growing in and road rash, it's a zero-sum game, guys."
                          Last edited by beelzebabette; 06-16-2009, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Ladies, I hope you all go to this website http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cm...articleid=1466 and check out "The BT Men's Leg Shaving Shootout." He even discusses how hard shaving the knees is.

EDIT: The waxing portion begins around the twenty-minute mark if you don't have time for the whole video. My favorite comment was, "If you're gonna wax your legs to avoid the pain that's associated with hair growing in and road rash, it's a zero-sum game, guys."
                            I don't know what the big deal is about shaving. It doesn't hurt that bad when it grows back (and, yes, I've gone full monty - several times).

Waxing sucks, though.
                            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

I get nauseous and dizzy from the flip turns. I love the workouts but the dizziness makes it an easy choice between running and swimming.

Comment

Working...
                              X