I'm finally a runner!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm finally a runner!

I've been running here and there since college, but whenever anyone asks me if I'm a runner, I always respond, "Well, I like to run, but I wouldn't call myself a runner." When I first started actually regularly training and caring about how fast I ran, I was around 10 minute miles. I figured at the time that once I can easily run in the 9's, then I'll feel good about things. Then, when I could do that, I thought, "real runners run at least in the 8's". After I could do this pretty easily, I still didn't feel like a real runner. I remember wondering at Ragnar last year if I could finish a 10K in the 40's and thinking probably not without increasing the frequency of my runs, which I wasn't willing to do. Well, I ran a 10K the week before the half I was training for last fall. Hilly course and I ran it at a fairly easy effort as my real goal was a good time on the half, but I finished at 51-something, so I started thinking maybe I could get down to the 40's.

Well, I'm happy to report my Utah Summer Games 10K time of 43:36. Fast downhill course and no way I could do that on a flat one, I'll never place in my age group until everyone else in the age group dies off, but dammit, I'm a runner!
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Congrats. That's a great time. My personal goal is to run one more sub-20 5K before I die. I expect to take up swimming and never run again if that happens.

Comment

Originally posted by beelzebabette View Post
      Congrats. That's a great time. My personal goal is to run one more sub-20 5K before I die. I expect to take up swimming and never run again if that happens.
      LOL! That's funny! "Well, I mostly swim, but I run a 19:44 5k."

Comment

Working...
      X