Utah vs. Northern Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utah vs. Northern Colorado

Two weeks to game time, and many questions to be answered..

1. How will Brian Johnson's offense play out?
    2. Will true freshman Cedrick Potausi start at left tackle?
    3. Will NC's offense cross the 50 without the benefit of a return or penalty?
    4. Will an athletic but young linebacker corp gel early in the season?
    5. Will Jordan Wynn remain upright while in the game?

While Montana State was a talented FCS team with several skilled players, the Bears of Northern Colorado are a bad, bad team. In essence this is a scrimmage that our 3rd string should beat. I see this game as nothing more than a shakedown cruise for the ready of the season.
    Last edited by Jarid in Cedar; 08-15-2012, 10:40 PM.
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Two weeks to game time, and many questions to bee answered..

1. How will Brian Johnson's offense play out?
    2. Will true freshman Cedrick Potausi start at left tackle?
    3. Will NC's offense cross the 50 without the benefit of a return or penalty?
    4. Will an athletic but young linebacker corp gel early in the season?
    5. Will Jordan Wynn remain upright while in the game?

While Montana State was a talented FCS team with several skilled players, the Bears of Northern Colorado are a bad, bad team. In essence this is a scrimmage that our 3rd string should beat. I see this game as nothing more than a shakedown cruise for the ready of the season.
    1. I've heard many say we won't open up the playbook, but I'm of the opposite mindset -- the more we show, the more opposing DCs have to worry about. I think we'll go halfway -- we'll run some exotic, yet easily prepared plays knowing we won't run them ever again. Bottom line, we can't hold Brian back just because of the competition.

2. From what I've read, I'd say it's a good possibility.

3. In the second half against the scrubs, if at all. One score is reasonable and can happen to anyone. Two would be the sign of a less-than-stellar effort. UNC is horrible.

4. Keeton (most likely) and/or Kennedy will give us a test. Talk to me after USU.

5. He'd damn well better. If we can't keep UNC off him, how can we expect likewise against USU, BYU or ASU?

Comment

Originally posted by Top Ute View Post
      1. I've heard many say we won't open up the playbook, but I'm of the opposite mindset -- the more we show, the more opposing DCs have to worry about. I think we'll go halfway -- we'll run some exotic, yet easily prepared plays knowing we won't run them ever again. Bottom line, we can't hold Brian back just because of the competition.

2. From what I've read, I'd say it's a good possibility.

3. In the second half against the scrubs, if at all. One score is reasonable and can happen to anyone. Two would be the sign of a less-than-stellar effort. UNC is horrible.

4. Keeton (most likely) and/or Kennedy will give us a test. Talk to me after USU.

5. He'd damn well better. If we can't keep UNC off him, how can we expect likewise against USU, BYU or ASU?
      After the hit Wynn took off left tackle in the second series last year against MSU, I am holding my breath.

I actually hope Potausi locks down the position. Many fans are worried about the talent at tackle, I personally think the guys we have are talented, but inexperienced. If Potausi is good enough to secure the spot ahead of Bot, I am excited to see him stabilize that spot for the next four years.
      "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Northern Colorado has won 13 games in the last 8 seasons.

Their last win over a team currently in the FBS sub-division was Texas St in 2006. Before that? Nevada in 1960.

I'm guessing this game will be something like 48-6. I think Utah uses a "normal" game-plan in the first half; gives the starters an additional series in the second half; lets the 2's play a normal-ish game-plan for the rest of the 3rd quarter; and runs down the clock in the 4th.
        "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
        "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

After the hit Wynn took off left tackle in the second series last year against MSU, I am holding my breath.

I actually hope Potausi locks down the position. Many fans are worried about the talent at tackle, I personally think the guys we have are talented, but inexperienced. If Potausi is good enough to secure the spot ahead of Bot, I am excited to see him stabilize that spot for the next four years.
          The inexperience is what is liable to get Wynn killed. Wynn will start trusting him, then he'll block the wrong guy for one play....

Comment

The biggest question that will be answered for me is this: who comes in at garbage time? Wilson or Hays?

I suspect it will be Hays. I don't think we see Wilson unless Wynn gets hurt. They will try to redshirt him.

Comment

Originally posted by U-Ute View Post
              The biggest question that will be answered for me is this: who comes in at garbage time? Wilson or Hays?

I suspect it will be Hays. I don't think we see Wilson unless Wynn gets hurt. They will try to redshirt him.
              I hope you are right. I don't want to see Wilson unless Wynn is hurt in the first 6-7 games. Even then, it sounds like Hayes is miles ahead of last year and may nail down the backup spot outright.

-Rick Majerus

Comment

I know this may anger BYU fans, but I am predicting a Utah win. I think the Utes win big against Northern Colorado.
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                  I know this may anger BYU fans, but I am predicting a Utah win. I think the Utes win big against Northern Colorado.
                  My big gnawing question is, will the Utes put up 100?
                  When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                    My big gnawing question is, will the Utes put up 100?
                    I know this will anger Utah fans, but I am predicting that Utah will definitely not put up 100 points.

sigpic

Comment

What about the Northern Colorado fans? I think after an 0-11 season last year they've suffered enough. They don't need you piling on.
                      "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                        What about the Northern Colorado fans? I think after an 0-11 season last year they've suffered enough. They don't need you piling on.
                        We gave mercy to a team from Colorado last year. Only once per calendar year

-Rick Majerus

Comment

We gave mercy to a team from Colorado last year. Only once per calendar year
                          This may anger Utah fans, but Jarid in Cedar is apparently predicting that the Utes will lose to Colorado again this season.

sigpic

Comment

This may anger Utah fans, but Jarid in Cedar is apparently predicting that the Utes will lose to Colorado again this season.
                            And it could very well happen. Colorado has played good football in Folsom Field during the Buff's last regular season game. Especially, when it looks like they have nothing left to play for. Never understood it. Sleepwalk and play below potential and expectation during the entire year and then show up for the last game of the season.
                            “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                            "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

In essence this is a scrimmage that our 3rd string should beat. I see this game as nothing more than a shakedown cruise for the ready of the season.
                              The arrogance of Ute fans is astounding!

Comment

Working...
                              X