When does the pain stop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When does the pain stop?

I did my first marathon today. How long should I expect to hurt? TIA.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Congrats on the marathon. Pain? Idk, but congrats all the same.

Comment

I did all mine in my mid-20s so I'd have to say about 12 hours give or take a few.

Comment

When you say marathon, do you mean, like MARATHON marathon?

If so, congrats. Thats incredible.

My first I was pretty sore for 2 or 3 days afterward. Mainly while getting up from the floor or low chairs.

Comment

I doubt I could run a mile, so wow, that is amazing! Congrats!
          "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post

If so, congrats. Thats incredible.

My first I was pretty sore for 2 or 3 days afterward. Mainly while getting up from the floor or low chairs.
            I am an accidental marathoner. At about 11 pm on Friday night I got a phone call saying that they needed a sweeper for the local marathon on Saturday. The wife and I agreed to do it (thinking we would alternate). I started after everyone had taken off and followed along. At each aid station I would stop and tell the volunteers that they were done and could go home. At 13 miles I felt pretty good so I told my wife that I could keep going (she was busy helping with the marathon). I ended up doing the whole thing. Obviously it was a slow pace, but it was still 26.2 miles. I feel pretty good today other than a sore spot on my right foot. And my lower back is a little sore.

My family was pretty excited when I crossed the finish line. Now my daughter made me promise to run with her next year. (Yikes. What have I done?)
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

"Dude, what you are doing tomorrow? Can you do me a huge favor and run a marathon for me? It would really be a big help."

"Sure, no problem."

That is pretty impressive. 26.2 is 26.2, regardless of pace.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                I am an accidental marathoner. At about 11 pm on Friday night I got a phone call saying that they needed a sweeper for the local marathon on Saturday.
                What, are you kidding me?? You ran your first marathon on a spur-of-the-moment whim? That's unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
                  What, are you kidding me?? You ran your first marathon on a spur-of-the-moment whim? That's unbelievable!
                  Exactly. Color me impressed.

Also, how do I sign up for a sweeper gig? I'd like an excuse to run as slow as I do.

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                    I think when he said 'marathon' he actually meant a leisurely stroll around the park. Just so I understand the terms correctly, what is the difference between a marathon and a MARATHON marathon?

Comment

You are incredible!!! Wow. Congratulations. You should definitely run the marathon again with your daughter next year. I am not an expert on marathons, since I have only run one so far, but it was fairly recently, so I remember the pain well. Believe it or not, the pain subsides pretty quickly, at least when moving around. I didn’t even hurt at all during the daytime after the actual day of the marathon. I did ache pretty badly whenever I was in bed for the next 3 nights or so.

Comment

Nice job Jeff. What a great story.

Comment

I am an accidental marathoner. At about 11 pm on Friday night I got a phone call saying that they needed a sweeper for the local marathon on Saturday. The wife and I agreed to do it (thinking we would alternate). I started after everyone had taken off and followed along. At each aid station I would stop and tell the volunteers that they were done and could go home. At 13 miles I felt pretty good so I told my wife that I could keep going (she was busy helping with the marathon). I ended up doing the whole thing. Obviously it was a slow pace, but it was still 26.2 miles. I feel pretty good today other than a sore spot on my right foot. And my lower back is a little sore.

My family was pretty excited when I crossed the finish line. Now my daughter made me promise to run with her next year. (Yikes. What have I done?)

This really is extraordinary, and rather funny. I'm sure you've been running some, but I'm curious how much you run in a typical week, and your typical distance. What's the longest you've run before. You should join us at Tahoe as our sweeper, just for a few miles.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                            This really is extraordinary, and rather funny. I'm sure you've been running some, but I'm curious how much you run in a typical week, and your typical distance. What's the longest you've run before. You should join us at Tahoe as our sweeper, just for a few miles.
                            I run five miles two (occasionally three) times a week. On the other days I bike for 20-30 miles. Prior to yesterday, my longest run was 10 miles. But I have done some long hikes (18 miles or so in a day).

The irony is that I have never had much of a desire to do a marathon. But I have to admit that it was a pretty cool experience. I think it would be fun to do it again and I shouldn't have any problem beating my current time.

Comment

I run five miles two (occasionally three) times a week. On the other days I bike for 20-30 miles. Prior to yesterday, my longest run was 10 miles. But I have done some long hikes (18 miles or so in a day).

The irony is that I have never had much of a desire to do a marathon. But I have to admit that it was a pretty cool experience. I think it would be fun to do it again and I shouldn't have any problem beating my current time.
                              Wow. While you're obviously in good shape with a nice workout regimen, that seems awfully light preparation for a marathon. That you completed it, and are not currently wearing a toe tag, is really quite impressive. Nice work.

Comment

Working...
                              X