Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas high school's new $60 million football stadium

Wow: Allen H.S. unveils $60 million football stadium

That picture is deceiving. looks like way more than 18,000 seats.

The community voted to pay for it so what's the problem?

Allen raised the money for its new stadium as part of a $119.4 million bond package in May of 2009 that passed with an impressive 63.66 percent of the vote.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      That picture is deceiving. looks like way more than 18,000 seats.

The community voted to pay for it so what's the problem?
      I don't know if you are serious, but one problem is that 36% of the people did not want to pay for it and the other 67% are morons.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob View Post
        I don't know if you are serious, but one problem is that 36% of the people did not want to pay for it and the other 67% are morons.
        Impressive math. I hadn't thought about it that way before.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

this schools priorities seem a little out of whack, maybe they should revisit the Penn State situation?

Or how about a sliding scale of funding:

100% of 2013 class graduates = $60 million

90% of 2013 class graduates = $30 million

80% = $15

less than 80% = have a Bake Sale

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob
            local schools would have much positive effect on educating kids.
            Apparently not in Allen, TX...
            Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
            - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
            - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

I was thinking that myself until I saw this:

And while Allen is blooming with malls and chain restaurants, the median household income grew to $100,843 in 2009
              And from another article:

The school's class of 2010 boasted an average SAT score of 1080
              I guess if you've got it, flaunt it.

Comment

My kids attend this school. One thing to mention is that there is just one High School for a community of 80K+. So AHS is big, 5K+ students.

It's also an excellent school in a great district. One of the reasons why I built a house here 20+ years ago. The advantages is that there are numerous academic clubs and a full slate of AP courses offered. This disadvantage is that one has to be very, very good (gifted?) to play on the football team.

Is a $60M, 18K capacity stadium warranted? I voted yes. I don't think the community's priorities are out of whack either. Yes, we like our football but education has always been first priority for the majority of families. It's possible to excel at academics and football at the same time.
                “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                  My kids attend this school. One thing to mention is that there is just one High School for a community of 80K+. So AHS is big, 5K+ students.

It's also an excellent school in a great district. One of the reasons why I built a house here 20+ years ago. The advantages is that there are numerous academic clubs and a full slate of AP courses offered. This disadvantage is that one has to be very, very good (gifted?) to play on the football team.

Is a $60M, 18K capacity stadium warranted? I voted yes. I don't think the community's priorities are out of whack either. Yes, we like our football but education has always been first priority for the majority of families. It's possible to excel at academics and football at the same time.
                  I’ll backtrack on my earlier comments based on that information, and the simple fact that I can’t fully fathom how important high school football is to Texans. And who am I to say what they spend their $ on.

Comment

Even I can add to 100.
                    "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                    -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post

Football is paying for all of our son's college education expenses at a rather expensive liberal arts private school. I have nothing but good to say about North Texas football and would have voted 'yes' as well. BTW, did you vote 'no' on that $60M performing arts center they also built? Now that was a waste of money.

Personally I am looking forward to attending the high school playoff games that will be played there. Also, I recall some talk about semi-pro teams paying there. I love watching watching the Americans play hockey over in Allen.
                      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Forget the cost of the football stadium. 800 students in the marching band?
                        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                          Forget the cost of the football stadium. 800 students in the marching band?
                          Yes, the size of the marching band is ridiculous. They kind of just consume the field and try to move a little without trying to run into each other.
                          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                            Yes, the size of the marching band is ridiculous. They kind of just consume the field and try to move a little without trying to run into each other.
                            I guess there are no cuts.
                            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Solon View Post

Even I can add to 100.
                              This can all be explained by voter fraud.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                              X