"Women Only" cycling events

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Women Only" cycling events

What's up with that? I was perusing the ride calendar the other day, and noticed there were "women only" organized rides.

Is this something that is an added attraction for female cyclists? I wonder why they have them? I don't think I've ever seen a "male only" ride event.

Anyone have an idea why they even have these kinds of rides?

Maybe there should be a new cycling event: "The Testies 200"...help raise funds for testicular cancer....male only riders.
    "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.

They want to get together and compare notes on all the male cyclists in town.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
      They want to get together and compare notes on all the male cyclists in town.
      That's what I pretty much figured! Sneaky women...
      "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.

Comment

My guess is the same reason they have woman only health clubs or woman only areas in other health clubs. 90% of the woman in the world don't want to be seen in lyra, 5% (the super hotties) feel that lyra covers to much of their body while working out and the final 5% are so big lyra is the only thing they can get on. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
          My guess is the same reason they have woman only health clubs or woman only areas in other health clubs. 90% of the woman in the world don't want to be seen in lyra, 5% (the super hotties) feel that lyra covers to much of their body while working out and the final 5% are so big lyra is the only thing they can get on. Just my opinion.
          that's exactly what it is. I said something to that effect originally, but took it all out because it was no fun. The "irongirl" triathlons, for example, have been incredibly successful because the novices can compete without having to worry about men seeing them in their swimwear.

I think you're right. It's either that or the guy cyclists, in a stroke of genius, realized that if they host a girls-only race, then instead of racing they can kick their feet up and enjoy the scenery.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
            I think you're right. It's either that or the guy cyclists, in a stroke of genius, realized that if they host a girls-only race, then instead of racing they can kick their feet up and enjoy the scenery.
            I can see Arch hosting one of these.

Comment

I did one last year (the Little Red Riding Hood in Wellsville). After it was over, I swore I'd never do another women-only organized ride again until I was fast enough to get out ahead of all but the most serious riders and stay in front of them. Probably the things that drove me crazy are the things they like--a ride they don't have to take as seriously as their husbands (my biggest pet peeve was coming away from a rest stop and trying to pass girls riding five abreast without getting hit by a car coming the other direction), fewer people interested in working together to make it through the wind, and (some) poor biking ettiquette. I learned to ride with some guys that raced competitively, and I was more used to a serious approach to be more efficient.

(Disclaimer: I'm going to do my best to not drive you all crazy in Tahoe, but I haven't ridden with those guys for quite a while.)

Comment

Originally posted by beelzebabette View Post
                I did one last year (the Little Red Riding Hood in Wellsville). After it was over, I swore I'd never do another women-only organized ride again until I was fast enough to get out ahead of all but the most serious riders and stay in front of them. Probably the things that drove me crazy are the things they like--a ride they don't have to take as seriously as their husbands (my biggest pet peeve was coming away from a rest stop and trying to pass s riding five abreast without getting hit by a car coming the other direction), fewer people interested in working together to make it through the wind, and (some) poor biking ettiquette. I learned to ride with some guys that raced competitively, and I was more used to a serious approach to be more efficient.

(Disclaimer: I'm going to do my best to not drive you all crazy in Tahoe, but I haven't ridden with those guys for quite a while.)
                so you are a ringer? great, if FM coug doesn't show up I have no one to ride witrh
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...
                X