With some new blood on the board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With some new blood on the board

and this being a Cougar site with Utes on it, I note the phrase ALUF (active LDS Ute Fan) being used.

I think it is a good idea as football season draws nigh to note the difference between the Active LDS Ute fan and the "Active LDS Ute fan."

The Active LDS Ute fan is not a problem for me, nor do he or she bother me in any way whatsoever. They are what the phrase says, they are active LDS and Ute fans. I personally see no contradiction there.

On the other hand, the "Active LDS Ute fan" is actually a bum buddy of the BYU "mullah" although neither will admit it.

When BYU has an honor code problem, you can hear the "ALUF" making statement such as, "as an active LDS person, I think.........." and then they go on to tell what should be happening at BYU because they are active LDS. Man you are a Ute fan. Who gives a crap what you think should be happening at BYU. I couldn't care less that as "an active LDS Ute fan" you are embarassed for the church. You can openly cheer and scream for a team that allows Sunday play, that allows players to have premarital sex, that allows players to drink over a school that doesn't and yet you are going to preach about how things should be done at your rival. That is hypocricy.

I would just ask that knowing the difference, when referring to the active LDS Ute fan you don't mix them up with the "active LDS Ute fan."

Can I get an executive summary of the previous post?
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post

Even a summary would go over your head.

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
        ALUF = Cool. Example; 8BallRollin or MormonRedDeath.
        "ALUF" = Not cool. Example; Il Padrino Ute or UteStar.

Comment

Hmm, so many choices.

Personally, I don't care what happens at BYU. But I sometimes wonder if my brother isn't right when he says the church should sell the institution.

You have an honor code, wonderful. But I wonder if BYU fans shouldn't start thinking like Air Force and Navy fans. Whatever challenges BYU has because of its honor code, the military academies treble because, well, they're military academies. If an athlete can't handle BYU's honor code, they surely couldn't hack it at a military academy. So get over yourselves already.
          Col. Klink: "Staff officers are so clever."
          Gen. Burkhalter: "Klink, I am a staff officer."
          Col. Klink: "I didn't mean you sir, you're not clever."

Comment

Originally posted by USS Utah View Post
            Personally, I don't care what happens at BYU. But I sometimes wonder if my brother isn't right when he says the church should sell the institution.

You have an honor code, wonderful. But I wonder if BYU fans shouldn't start thinking like Air Force and Navy fans. Whatever challenges BYU has because of its honor code, the military academies treble because, well, they're military academies. If an athlete can't handle BYU's honor code, they surely couldn't hack it at a military academy. So get over yourselves already.
            You lost me. Are you saying BYU should become part of the military?

Comment

I'll try to speak english this time.

No, I'm not saying BYU should become part of the military. I'm saying BYU doesn't have anything on the military academies.

If sports is really priority number 5 as Bronco suggested recently, then BYU should consider itself like unto the academies.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                and this being a Cougar site with Utes on it, I note the phrase ALUF (active LDS Ute Fan) being used.

I think it is a good idea as football season draws nigh to note the difference between the Active LDS Ute fan and the "Active LDS Ute fan."

The Active LDS Ute fan is not a problem for me, nor do he or she bother me in any way whatsoever. They are what the phrase says, they are active LDS and Ute fans. I personally see no contradiction there.

On the other hand, the "Active LDS Ute fan" is actually a bum buddy of the BYU "mullah" although neither will admit it.

When BYU has an honor code problem, you can hear the "ALUF" making statement such as, "as an active LDS person, I think.........." and then they go on to tell what should be happening at BYU because they are active LDS. Man you are a Ute fan. Who gives a crap what you think should be happening at BYU. I couldn't care less that as "an active LDS Ute fan" you are embarassed for the church. You can openly cheer and scream for a team that allows Sunday play, that allows players to have premarital sex, that allows players to drink over a school that doesn't and yet you are going to preach about how things should be done at your rival. That is hypocricy.

I would just ask that knowing the difference, when referring to the active LDS Ute fan you don't mix them up with the "active LDS Ute fan."
                This is not a cougar site with Utes on it. Its a split site between the two. Give us our fair billing.
                "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

I'll try to speak english this time.

No, I'm not saying BYU should become part of the military. I'm saying BYU doesn't have anything on the military academies.

If sports is really priority number 5 as Bronco suggested recently, then BYU should consider itself like unto the academies.
                  I think BYU and the academies are pretty similar already. I don't know what BYU considers itself and I don't see how that is relevent, but the limitations BYU places upon itself in the name of having a purpose for its graduates strikes me as very similar to the service academy approach.

Are you saying BYU doesn't consider itself similar to the academies in some way? Because I am still not following you real well, perhaps a concrete example might help me to understand.
                  Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                  -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                  -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
                    This is not a cougar site with Utes on it. Its a split site between the two. Give us our fair billing.
                    I freely admit that sentence was trolling.

Comment

Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
                      Personally....I don't really care. All I want is for Mormon Red Death to post as much, and as often as possible.

I never know what he says mind you...for some reason, I can't take my eyes off his avatar. So...the more we hear from MRD...the better.
                      "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.

Comment

Are you saying BYU doesn't consider itself similar to the academies in some way? Because I am still not following you real well, perhaps a concrete example might help me to understand.
                        The administration may consider BYU similar to the academies, I don't know. But I'm talking more about the fans. When was the last time you heard an Air Forcs fan talking about possibily winning a national championship?

Comment

The administration may consider BYU similar to the academies, I don't know. But I'm talking more about the fans. When was the last time you heard an Air Forcs fan talking about possibily winning a national championship?
                          If folks in the media can occassionally throw out BYU as a dark horse to playing in some BCS MNC game, why shouldn't BYU fans discuss it? Are you bothered that BYU puts an emphasis on winning?

As far as the AFA fans I think the answer would be mid October 2002 or perhaps early November 1985.
                          Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                          -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                          -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

I sometimes wonder if my brother isn't right when he says the church should sell the institution.
                            I think Alan Ashton's already fractured his fortune enough that he couldn't afford it.

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                              If folks in the media can occassionally throw out BYU as a dark horse to playing in some BCS MNC game, why shouldn't BYU fans discuss it? Are you bothered that BYU puts an emphasis on winning?

As far as the AFA fans I think the answer would be mid October 2002 or perhaps early November 1985.
                              If that ever happens, you wake me up and I will in fact start worrying.

Comment

Working...
                              X