PDA

View Full Version : 1320 reporting that Utah State and Gary Anderson have reached an agreement.........

cougjunkie
12-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Looks like Anderson will be named the new coach of the Aggies shortly. Great hire for Utah State, not good for the utes.

I dont see anyone on utahs current staff being able to step in as D-coordinator so look for them to pull someone in from the outside. The biggest loss for Utah however will be in the recruiting department.

myboynoah
12-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Why would anyone that close to the situation in the state of Utah take that job?

DrumNFeather
12-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Why would anyone that close to the situation in the state of Utah take that job?

He is probably the only one that can step right in and eet some quality recruits to come up to logan.

Tough to see him leave the Utes...it'll be interesting to see who goes with him and if Kyle has the sand to name Sitake as the DC.

myboynoah
12-02-2008, 09:51 PM
He is probably the only one that can step right in and eet some quality recruits to come up to logan.

Tough to see him leave the Utes...it'll be interesting to see who goes with him and if Kyle has the sand to name Sitake as the DC.

He must be one hell of a salesman.

Surfah
12-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Man, tough loss for the Utes. Great get for the Aggies. I really don't want to play Utah State anymore. I hope Bronco doesn't get his wish for a yearly deal.

BlueHair
12-02-2008, 10:07 PM
Man, tough loss for the Utes. Great get for the Aggies. I really don't want to play Utah State anymore. I hope Bronco doesn't get his wish for a yearly deal.

Is that sarcasm? Utah State could have God coaching them and they would still suck.

DrumNFeather
12-02-2008, 10:08 PM
He must be one hell of a salesman.

Utah St. knows that the only guy that can "sell" Utah St. is a local guy...Andersen can do that. I would also think that he has a list of "fringe" type players that Utah would go after if a certain number of recruits didn't commit to Utah. Perhaps that will help.

Surfah
12-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Half serious. I don't think there is any benefit to us playing them anyway. It's a horrible series and BYU gets nothing out of it but a W. GA is a good coach and can game plan well. Just because it's been lopsided of late doesn't mean we haven't had a few close calls. I remember the 2nd half comeback by Engy I think a few years back where we squeaked by them.

DrumNFeather
12-02-2008, 10:20 PM
Half serious. I don't think there is any benefit to us playing them anyway. It's a horrible series and BYU gets nothing out of it but a W. GA is a good coach and can game plan well. Just because it's been lopsided of late doesn't mean we haven't had a few close calls. I remember the 2nd half comeback by Engy I think a few years back where we squeaked by them.

If nothing else, USU should want to free itself from BYU/Utah for a while and schedule some winnable games.

Brian
12-03-2008, 06:36 AM
Dang, that really, really sucks.
I guess that means KW is not going to UW (not that I had any questions he might....)

DrumNFeather
12-03-2008, 06:47 AM
The Desnews is reporting that an offer to Andersen is being hammered out by USU, but that he has also been contacted by SDSU and UNM. It also noted that Utah will make him a serious offer to stay once the other offers come in. Should be interesting.

The article notes that USU is going to start commiting significant resources to its football program, including coaching salaries.

Brian
12-03-2008, 07:20 AM
The Desnews is reporting that an offer to Andersen is being hammered out by USU, but that he has also been contacted by SDSU and UNM. It also noted that Utah will make him a serious offer to stay once the other offers come in. Should be interesting.

The article notes that USU is going to start commiting significant resources to its football program, including coaching salaries.

That's good news, there is hope he'll stay... ?

RockyBalboa
12-03-2008, 07:25 AM

In this instance the answer is pretty easy in terms of Coach Anderson and it boils down to 1 word: Family.

He still has 2 sons playing High School Football here in Utah, and I've heard he isn't too wild about uprooting them and leaving the state, so getting a Head Coaching instate just a couple hours up north is a good way to be a Head Coach and keep his family happy.

For selfish reasons as a BYU fan, I'm hoping he takes the job. :)

Jeff Lebowski
12-03-2008, 08:09 AM
In this instance the answer is pretty easy in terms of Coach Anderson and it boils down to 1 word: Family.

He still has 2 sons playing High School Football here in Utah, and I've heard he isn't too wild about uprooting them and leaving the state, so getting a Head Coaching instate just a couple hours up north is a good way to be a Head Coach and keep his family happy.

For selfish reasons as a BYU fan, I'm hoping he takes the job. :)

Where do his kids play?

DrumNFeather
12-03-2008, 09:06 AM
Where do his kids play?

Juan Diego.

OrangeUte
12-03-2008, 09:09 AM

When I read the title of this thread, I immediately wondered as well if Sitake would be promoted.

Gary Anderson is a great coach, and I hope he does well at Utah State.

cougjunkie
12-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Kevin Graham on 1280 reported about 5 minutes ago that Anderson is on his way up to Logan for a 3rd time, this time with his wife. The offer is close to 1 million per. Also he does not want to uproot his family so in fact for the first year (until his oldest graduates from Juan Diego) he plans on commuting.

smokymountainrain
12-03-2008, 10:43 AM
The offer is close to 1 million per.

That seems really high for USU. Does either Bronco or Whittingham make that much?

cougjunkie
12-03-2008, 10:47 AM
That seems really high for USU. Does either Bronco or Whittingham make that much?

I guess USU had some donors pony up some serious cash for either the return of John L. Smith or Gary Anderson.

LiveCoug
12-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Didn't Anderson already have a head job stint at SUU for a year? How did that go?

smokymountainrain
12-03-2008, 11:09 AM
I guess USU had some donors pony up some serious cash for either the return of John L. Smith or Gary Anderson.

Makes sense. I just checked Smith's coaching record - I didn't realize he wasn't even that good at USU. He was good at Idaho and good at Louisville, but at MSU and USU, he was pretty mediocre.

UteStar
12-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Good for Anderson if it works out for him. I actually think that USU could be decent...there really is no reason why they can't be in that 2nd tier of teams in the WAC. If he gets Utah State to be 7-5 or 6-6 year after year, they will build him a statue.

This year at USU, they should have had 2 more wins if not for some real bad breaks.

Donuthole
12-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Didn't Anderson already have a head job stint at SUU for a year? How did that go?

About as well as I expect his Utah State tenure to go.

il Padrino Ute
12-03-2008, 12:51 PM

He went 4-7. The 4 wins that year equaled the previous 3 year win total.

He then resigned and came back to the Utes after Meyer took most every assistant with him and Sanford went to UNLV.

Flystripper
12-03-2008, 12:57 PM
USU is better than their record indicates. The cupboard is not completely bare for Anderson. If Boise State ( a former JC) can build a program Utah state can as well.

mpfunk
12-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Utah St will not be successful even if Anderson is a great head coach. Name a state the size of Utah that supports 3 DIA football programs? Utah St football died when Utah and BYU kept them out of the WAC.

UteStar
12-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Utah St will not be successful even if Anderson is a great head coach. Name a state the size of Utah that supports 3 DIA football programs? Utah St football died when Utah and BYU kept them out of the WAC.

No offense Funk, but that is silly. A program can get up on its feet with the right coach and the right recruiting.

The past 10 years have been brutal, but Utah State won 5-7 games seven times in the past 16 years. Not great obviously, but it can be done. If the Utah State athletic department is willing to drop some money in to the program, they can be a solid team. Will they win 10 games in a season, most likely not...can they be a 'successful' team of winning 6 or 7 games, yes, I don't see why they cant do that in the WAC.

Flystripper
12-03-2008, 01:58 PM

Boise State has not built their program with Idaho players.There is no doubt that he will have to recruit out of state.

Hot Lunch
12-04-2008, 12:21 AM
He then resigned and came back to the Utes after Meyer took most every assistant with him and Sanford went to UNLV.

He actually coached under Meyer the year they went to the Fiesta Bowl. He returned when Tuiasasopo went to coach the D line at Arizona.

Anderson is a great hire for Utah St. Unfortunately and I hope I am wrong for Coach Anderson's sake because I have a ton of respect for him I don't think anyone can really win at Utah St. anymore.

DrumNFeather
12-04-2008, 07:03 AM

Oklahoma comes to mind...I would think that it is similar in size and scope with Utah.