Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the WAC officially dead yet? Why not resurrect the WAC and do it on BYU's terms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the WAC officially dead yet? Why not resurrect the WAC and do it on BYU's terms?

There's a clear need for a stable conference of Western programs, especially since the AQ/non-AQ status bullcrap looks to be coming to an end. I don't see any reason why BYU couldn't leverage a deal to get the BYUTV rights they couldn't get with the MWC if they present a more stable option to the current MWC which Hair Thompson has failed to give them.

I can't remember the exact details of the formation of the MWC, but it seems to me that BYU basically took the lead in the exodus of several teams from the WAC to form the MWC. Why not do the same again, but this time be sure not to allow any loophole in the TV deal. Boise State cannot honestly think that remaining in the Big East is feasible long term. I don't see why BYU can't kill the MWC by joining with Boise State and forming a stronger western conference. The following conference would be very formidable and I would think be very attractive to ESPN.

Western Athletic Conference

Western Division
    Boise State
    Fresno State
    San Diego State
    UNLV
    Nevada
    Hawaii

Eastern Division
    BYU
    Utah State
    Air Force
    Colorado State
    Wyoming
    New Mexico

Or, if 12 teams is a little watered down for your taste, stick with 8:

Boise State
    Fresno State
    San Diego State
    Nevada
    BYU
    Utah State
    Air Force
    Wyoming

As a college football fan, the current MWC without BYU or Boise State simply does not interest me. The proposed conference would be solid and I would think would be the best long-term solution for all involved.
    Last edited by UtahUte1978; 06-16-2012, 11:11 AM.

You'll have to repeat that I had something crazy in my ear.
    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Nope.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
          Nope.

I agree. The BigEast will be much better.
          "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post

I agree. The BigEast will be much better.
            I will say this: Big East WOULD be slightly better than that crap.

Comment

I will say this: Big East WOULD be slightly better than that crap.
              Dude, even LiveCoug is starting to come around. I've got to get ahold of Flystripper and let him know.

BigEast fans, party of 3, your table is ready!
              "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                Dude, even LiveCoug is starting to come around. I've got to get ahold of Flystripper and let him know.

BigEast fans, party of 3, your table is ready!
                Hmm... Where is the "indy is better than both" table?

Comment

Nope.
                  I don't understand why some BYU fans are so dismissive of taking the best from the West and making one solid conference, on BYU's terms. That's a hell of a better conference than the Big East. There's plenty of room for two big-time conferences in the West, but the current fractionation between BYU, the WAC, and the MWC won't let it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahUte1978 View Post
                    I don't understand why some BYU fans are so dismissive of taking the best from the West and making one solid conference, on BYU's terms. That's a hell of a better conference than the Big East. There's plenty of room for two big-time conferences in the West, but the current fractionation between BYU, the WAC, and the MWC won't let it happen.
                    Stop it.

Comment

No table, but help yourself to the scraps in the dumpster out back.

- Ty Cobb

Comment

The BYU fans in my family were cautiously excited about going independent. It took just one season of having nothing to cheer for in November and they've had enough. BYU's storied tradition of putting conference championships in the trophy case is quickly being killed by independence and fan support will dwindle. I don't see how you can possibly think independence is a long-term solution. Independence was thought to make it easier to join the Big-12. If it's failing in that regard, I don't see why you stick with it. I understand The Brethren want TV exposure. Is this what it really comes down to?
                        Last edited by UtahUte1978; 06-15-2012, 02:48 PM.

Comment

The BYU fans in my family were cautiously excited about going independent. It took just one season of having nothing to cheer for in November and they've had enough. BYU's storied tradition of putting conference championships in the trophy case is quickly being killed by independence and fan support will dwindle. I don't see how you can possibly think independence is a long-term solution. Independence was thought to make it easier to join the Big-12. If it's failing in that regard, I don't see why you stick with it.
                          I don't like independence either. It's just significantly better than the crap you proposed.

Comment

That would be a nice WAC, except for the fact that there's no way in hell it's going to happen. I'm guessing the WAC is waiting for Boise State to make a decision so they can stay as an olympic sports only conference but they've made no moves since SJSU and Utah State left.

Comment

The BYU fans in my family were cautiously excited about going independent. It took just one season of having nothing to cheer for in November and they've had enough. BYU's storied tradition of putting conference championships in the trophy case is quickly being killed by independence and fan support will dwindle. I don't see how you can possibly think independence is a long-term solution. Independence was thought to make it easier to join the Big-12. If it's failing in that regard, I don't see why you stick with it. I understand The Brethren want TV exposure. Is this what it really comes down to?
                              Quikly being killed? There's been one indy season.
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                              X