Potential BYU recruits...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential BYU recruits...........

Since it is Saturday night and I am bored, I thought I would compile a list of potential BYU recruits and some information on each of them as well as my prediction on where they will end up.

First the players that have previously comitted with their scout and Rivals rankings:

1. Jake Heaps, 5 star, number 1 overall QB per scout, 4 star and number 8 qb per rivals.

2. Zac Stout, 5 star and number 5 overall MLB per Scout, 4 star and number 4 MLB per Rivals.

3. Ross Apo, 3 star and number 55 WR per scout, 4 star and number 36 rated receiver per rivals.

4. Bronson Kaufusi, 4 star and number 10 rated D-end per Scout, 4 star and number 19 D-end per Rivals

5. Graham Rowley, 4 star and number 7 guard per scout, 3 star and number 29 D-tackle per Rivals.

6. Tuni Kanuch, 3 star and number 56 rated D-tackle per Scout, 3 star and number 36 guard per Rivals.

7. Joey Owens, 3 star and number 59 OLB per scout, 3 star and number 41 OLB per Rivals.

8. Jordan Black, 3 star and number 61 OT per Scout, not yet rated by Rivals.

9. Algernon Brown, 3 star and number 94 running back per Scout, 3 star and number 43 running back per Rivals.

10. AJ Moore, not yet rated by either publication, running back.

11. Collin Keoshian, not yet rated by either publication, linebacker.

12. Travis Tuioloma, not yet rated by either publication, D-tackle.

Now for the potential recruits:

1. Ricky Heimuli- 4 star and number 6 D-tackle per Scout, 4 star and number 6D-tackle per Rivals. Cousin Latu plays for Utah, Cousin Anthony plays for BYU, currently has 25 offers, among them Oklahoma, USC, Michigan, LSU, BYU and Utah. Last year at the US Army combine he was the defensive MVP against the best players in the country. I know he likes BYU as well as Utah but my guess is that he ends up out of state at either UCLA with Norm or USC.

2. Blair Tushaus- 3 star center per Scout, not yet rated per Rivals. Current offers include Air Force, Nevada, BYU, New Mexico State, San Diego State and UNLV. 6'2.5 275 pound center from Arizona. I actually if he does not receive an offer from ASU or UofA he is BYUs to lose.

3. Toloa'i Ho Ching- 3 star linebacker per scout, 3 star linebacker per Rivals. Current offers: BYU, Utah, Wisconsin, and Wyoming. BYU waited to offer until they saw that he could cover in their scheme he proved that at Jr. Day and they offered him. Most thought he would commit right away but rumor has it he is enamored with the Pac-10. If UCLA doesnt offer this weekend on his unofficial visit, expect him to commit to BYU shortly. I will say 75% chance he ends up at BYU.

4. Kona Schwenke- 3 star D-end per Scout, 4 star D-end per Rivals. 6'5 215 pound D-end out of Hawaii. Current offers: BYU, Colorado, Oregon State, Colorado State, San Diego State, UNLV, Hawaii. I think he is BYUs to lose, to be honest what I have seen on his film I have not been blown away. He has great athleticism but needs a lot of work on his technique, a bit of a project with tons of upside. 80% he ends up at BYU.

5. Jase Butorac- 3 star OT per scout, not rated yet per Rivals. His only D-1 offer right now is BYU. Non-lds but he plays with Jake Heaps at Skyline and protects his blindside. Most expected him to commit over the weekend. I still think he will end up at BYU. 90% chance he ends up at BYU.

6. Kyle Benson- 3 star linebacker per Scout, Not yet rated per Rivals. Current offers: BYU, Utah, Arizona, Oregon, Colorado, Colorado State, New Mexico. This kid is 6'2 212 pounds and ran a 4.48 at the Nike combine. I honestly have no idea where BYU stands with him. I will say 50% chance of him going ot BYU.

7. Justin Utopo- 3 star D-end/D-tackle on Scout, 6'3 260 pounds, current offers: BYU, Utah, SMU, UNLV. BYU came on really late, but I think they will end up stealing him, if they hold his schollie. They are already very D-line heavy in this class and I could see them pulling some offers if they get another D-line commit before him. 65% chance of him going to BYU.

8. Cameron Roberson- 3 star running back on Scout, 3 star on Rivals. Current offers: BYU, Minnesota, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Oregon, UCLA, Wyoming. BYU is not in his top three and I think the big boys swoop in and snag him as a late replacement if they dont get a 4 or 5 star they are after. 10% chance he ends up at BYU.

9. Keanon Lowe- 3 star WR/DB per Scout, 4 star WR/DB per Rivals. 5'10 190 pounds and ran a 4.45 40. This kids stock is rising very quickly, current offers: Stanford, Oregon State, Oregon, BYU, Washington, Stanford, Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State. Only reason BYU even has a slim chance is because he is Jaime Hills nephew, however they dont seem real close. I dont think BYU has much of a chance to land him. 25% chance he ends up at BYU.

10. Alani Fua- 3 star D-end per Scout, 3 star per Rivals. current offers; BYU, Ohio State, Arizona State, Oregon State, Washington, Hawii. This kids Highlight video is unreal, has a very quick first step and ran a 4.56 electronic 40. He would be a huge get for BYU and is teammates with current BYU commit Zac Stout. However his brother Sione spurned BYU for Stanford, so I am not sure how likely the chances are of landing him. So I will put it at 45%.

11. Joshua Quezada- 3 star running back per Scout, 3 star per Rivals. Current offers: BYU, Stanford, Oregon State, Washington, Fresno State, Hawii, New Mexico State. I think he ends up in the Pac-10, especially with BYU already having commits from 2 other running backs. 10% chance of landing him.

12. Sefa Tanoa'i- 3 star per Scout, not rated per Rivals. Current offers: BYU. I watched this kid last year make one of the best highschool catches I have ever seen. He will end up committing to BYU I am 90% sure of that, however I know his highschool basketball coach and his chances of qualifying are not good.

13. VJ Fehoko- 4 star MLB number 4 overall per Scout, 4 star MLB number 5 rated MLB per Rivals. Current Offers: BYU (questionable I was told BYU had nto offered yet), Cal, Colorado, Oregon, Tennessee, Notre Dame, Texas Tech, UCLA, Washington, West Virginia, Hawaii. Big time recruit, I know Jake Heaps has been recruiting him hard and that they are very good friends, he just did 31 reps of 225 at the PIAA combine. He is unreal and his highlight tape is as good as anybodies including Manti Te'os from last year. Due to my skepticism of BYU landing the top Polys and the fact that I heard he has note even been offered yet by BYU for whatever reason, I think Fehoko ends up at SC or UCLA. 30% chance.

14. Drew Phillips- not rated by Scout or Rivals yet. Running back from Alabama, current offers: BYU, Wyoming, SMU. I think he commits to BYU shortly, he had a great time at Jr. Day and Heaps and company were all over him. He wanted to make his visit to Wyo before committing, so we know after one day in Laramie he will be back to BYU. 85% chance he ends up at BYU.

There are others like the Juergens Twins, Kouri Jones, etc, but the ones above are the big ones. By far the best LDS class ever in my opinion, last year was good and so was the year before but this one tops them all I think.
    Last edited by cougjunkie; 06-06-2009, 07:49 PM.
    *Banned*

How many signees can BYU take on this year? all 25 or are they going to be against the 85 schollie wall?
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Tuni Kanuch is ranked as a d-tackle and a guard. Is that guessing where he'll end up at the next level by scout and rivals, respectively?

Also, I've heard that Utah has not offered Ho'Ching. Questions about his size and fit within the Utah D, apparently.
      "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
      "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
        Tuni Kanuch is ranked as a d-tackle and a guard. Is that guessing where he'll end up at the next level by scout and rivals, respectively?

Also, I've heard that Utah has not offered Ho'Ching. Questions about his size and fit within the Utah D, apparently.
        Yeah that is based on both of sites projections on what position they think he will play. Not sure about Ho Ching I just took the listed offers off the Scout and Rivals page which can be wrong.
        *Banned*

Comment

FWIW - I talked to someone who was down at Jr. Day yesterday and after speaking with Coach Kaufusi, said that BYU is not interested in nor will they be offering VJ Fehoko. They feel he's a tweener and wouldn't have anywhere he could fit in BYU's system.

Also the only reason why Kona Schwenke hasn't committed yet is because he has yet to actually meet face to face with Bronco, but he and Kaufusi are the ONLY coaches that Kona takes time out of his way to call on his own every week. He will be at the Padded camp at BYU and at the Poly Camp.

Comment

Utah coaches told Kona Schwenke that they would offer him if he publicly stated that Utah is in his top 3 schools, why this is the case...I don't know. I would imagine they'd offer him regardless.

Also you're right about Ho'Ching...Utah has not offered him yet. Verbally yes,,,but not officially.

Utah coaches called Tuni Kanuch last week and asked him if he was firm in his commitment to BYU and he told them that he was.

Comment

Originally posted by RockyBalboa View Post
              Utah coaches told Kona Schwenke that they would offer him if he publicly stated that Utah is in his top 3 schools, why this is the case...I don't know. I would imagine they'd offer him regardless.
              Could this be a priorities issue, i.e. you state that you're interested in us, and we'll put the time and effort into convincing you to come here?
              "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
              "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Could this be a priorities issue, i.e. you state that you're interested in us, and we'll put the time and effort into convincing you to come here?
                I have no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                  5. Graham Rowley, 4 star and number 7 guard per scout, 3 star and number 29 D-tackle per Rivals.
                  GR Inconsequential Trivia:

His dad is quite the surfer

His High School used to be coached by Norm Chow. That pipeline was cut decades ago though.

His school is in a weak league division, which makes his highlights look very good. I hope he's not a bust.

Comment

Nice rundown... one comment, Zac Stout is 4 star on Scout, not 5...

Comment

Since it is Saturday night and I am bored, I thought I would compile a list of potential BYU recruits and some information on each of them as well as my prediction on where they will end up.

First the players that have previously comitted with their scout and Rivals rankings:

1. Jake Heaps, 5 star, number 1 overall QB per scout, 4 star and number 8 qb per rivals.

2. Zac Stout, 5 star and number 5 overall MLB per Scout, 4 star and number 4 MLB per Rivals.

3. Ross Apo, 3 star and number 55 WR per scout, 4 star and number 36 rated receiver per rivals.

4. Bronson Kaufusi, 4 star and number 10 rated D-end per Scout, 4 star and number 19 D-end per Rivals

6. Tuni Kanuch, 3 star and number 56 rated D-tackle per Scout, 3 star and number 36 guard per Rivals.

7. Joey Owens, 3 star and number 59 OLB per scout, 3 star and number 41 OLB per Rivals.

9. Algernon Brown, 3 star and number 94 running back per Scout, 3 star and number 43 running back per Rivals.

1. Ricky Heimuli- 4 star and number 6 D-tackle per Scout, 4 star and number 6D-tackle per Rivals. Cousin Latu plays for Utah, Cousin Anthony plays for BYU, currently has 25 offers, among them Oklahoma, USC, Michigan, LSU, BYU and Utah. Last year at the US Army combine he was the defensive MVP against the best players in the country. I know he likes BYU as well as Utah but my guess is that he ends up out of state at either UCLA with Norm or USC.

2. Blair Tushaus- 3 star center per Scout, not yet rated per Rivals. Current offers include Air Force, Nevada, BYU, New Mexico State, San Diego State and UNLV. 6'2.5 275 pound center from Arizona. I actually if he does not receive an offer from ASU or UofA he is BYUs to lose.

3. Toloa'i Ho Ching- 3 star linebacker per scout, 3 star linebacker per Rivals. Current offers: BYU, Utah, Wisconsin, and Wyoming. BYU waited to offer until they saw that he could cover in their scheme he proved that at Jr. Day and they offered him. Most thought he would commit right away but rumor has it he is enamored with the Pac-10. If UCLA doesnt offer this weekend on his unofficial visit, expect him to commit to BYU shortly. I will say 75% chance he ends up at BYU.

4. Kona Schwenke- 3 star D-end per Scout, 4 star D-end per Rivals. 6'5 215 pound D-end out of Hawaii. Current offers: BYU, Colorado, Oregon State, Colorado State, San Diego State, UNLV, Hawaii. I think he is BYUs to lose, to be honest what I have seen on his film I have not been blown away. He has great athleticism but needs a lot of work on his technique, a bit of a project with tons of upside. 80% he ends up at BYU.

5. Jase Butorac- 3 star OT per scout, not rated yet per Rivals. His only D-1 offer right now is BYU. Non-lds but he plays with Jake Heaps at Skyline and protects his blindside. Most expected him to commit over the weekend. I still think he will end up at BYU. 90% chance he ends up at BYU.

6. Kyle Benson- 3 star linebacker per Scout, Not yet rated per Rivals. Current offers: BYU, Utah, Arizona, Oregon, Colorado, Colorado State, New Mexico. This kid is 6'2 212 pounds and ran a 4.48 at the Nike combine. I honestly have no idea where BYU stands with him. I will say 50% chance of him going ot BYU.

7. Justin Utopo- 3 star D-end/D-tackle on Scout, 6'3 260 pounds, current offers: BYU, Utah, SMU, UNLV. BYU came on really late, but I think they will end up stealing him, if they hold his schollie. They are already very D-line heavy in this class and I could see them pulling some offers if they get another D-line commit before him. 65% chance of him going to BYU.

8. Cameron Roberson- 3 star running back on Scout, 3 star on Rivals. Current offers: BYU, Minnesota, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Oregon, UCLA, Wyoming. BYU is not in his top three and I think the big boys swoop in and snag him as a late replacement if they dont get a 4 or 5 star they are after. 10% chance he ends up at BYU.

9. Keanon Lowe- 3 star WR/DB per Scout, 4 star WR/DB per Rivals. 5'10 190 pounds and ran a 4.45 40. This kids stock is rising very quickly, current offers: Stanford, Oregon State, Oregon, BYU, Washington, Stanford, Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State. Only reason BYU even has a slim chance is because he is Jaime Hills nephew, however they dont seem real close. I dont think BYU has much of a chance to land him. 25% chance he ends up at BYU.

10. Alani Fua- 3 star D-end per Scout, 3 star per Rivals. current offers; BYU, Ohio State, Arizona State, Oregon State, Washington, Hawii. This kids Highlight video is unreal, has a very quick first step and ran a 4.56 electronic 40. He would be a huge get for BYU and is teammates with current BYU commit Zac Stout. However his brother Sione spurned BYU for Stanford, so I am not sure how likely the chances are of landing him. So I will put it at 45%.

11. Joshua Quezada- 3 star running back per Scout, 3 star per Rivals. Current offers: BYU, Stanford, Oregon State, Washington, Fresno State, Hawii, New Mexico State. I think he ends up in the Pac-10, especially with BYU already having commits from 2 other running backs. 10% chance of landing him.

12. Sefa Tanoa'i- 3 star per Scout, not rated per Rivals. Current offers: BYU. I watched this kid last year make one of the best highschool catches I have ever seen. He will end up committing to BYU I am 90% sure of that, however I know his highschool basketball coach and his chances of qualifying are not good.

13. VJ Fehoko- 4 star MLB number 4 overall per Scout, 4 star MLB number 5 rated MLB per Rivals. Current Offers: BYU (questionable I was told BYU had nto offered yet), Cal, Colorado, Oregon, Tennessee, Notre Dame, Texas Tech, UCLA, Washington, West Virginia, Hawaii. Big time recruit, I know Jake Heaps has been recruiting him hard and that they are very good friends, he just did 31 reps of 225 at the PIAA combine. He is unreal and his highlight tape is as good as anybodies including Manti Te'os from last year. Due to my skepticism of BYU landing the top Polys and the fact that I heard he has note even been offered yet by BYU for whatever reason, I think Fehoko ends up at SC or UCLA. 30% chance.

14. Drew Phillips- not rated by Scout or Rivals yet. Running back from Alabama, current offers: BYU, Wyoming, SMU. I think he commits to BYU shortly, he had a great time at Jr. Day and Heaps and company were all over him. He wanted to make his visit to Wyo before committing, so we know after one day in Laramie he will be back to BYU. 85% chance he ends up at BYU.

There are others like the Juergens Twins, Kouri Jones, etc, but the ones above are the big ones. By far the best LDS class ever in my opinion, last year was good and so was the year before but this one tops them all I think.
                      You have anything on Brandon Bourbon? I read on Scout that he likes Stanford, Vandy, and BYU right now, and that Heaps has been working on him. I imagine he'll likely end up at Mizzou, but just curious if you've heard anything on him.

Comment

Here are some highlight videos of a few recruits as well as my evaluation of them (be aware that these are highlight videos and they are meant to showcase strengths and not weaknesses.)

1. Drew Phillips:

Strengths: Hits the hole hard, runs very hard, tough for one guy to bring him down, shows good elusiveness in the open field.

Weaknesses: he seems to bounce almost everything to the outside he gets the corner most of the time in highschool but at the next level he wont get that, doesnt have great breakway speed. Also has a very upright running style a lot like Luke Staley which means he could be prone to injury.

[YOUTUBE]KlNDzvjiBIo[/YOUTUBE]

2. Alani Fua:

Strengths: Unbelievable burst at the snap of the ball, when his initial pass rush gets stuffed he shows good awareness by still following the qb and getting his hands up to try and disrupt the play, also has a good motor.

Weaknesses: Needs to put on weight, almost all of his sacks came when he was untouched, not a lot of tape showing him getting off of blocks so I wonder how well he does with that.

[YOUTUBE]UO-jNcyy7jo[/YOUTUBE]

3. Tola'i Ho Ching

Strengths: Fearless, ferocious hitter, He is just an absolute playmaker, uses his hands very well to shed blockers, good open field tackler.

Weaknesses: Pass rushed 95% of the time, questionable on whether he can cover in space.

[YOUTUBE]ZWp1qrS22_c[/YOUTUBE]

More to come later...........
                        *Banned*

Comment

So what was the result of JR day? One reason of the press conference was to get others to commit during JR day.

Comment

There's some cloak and dagger going on and a few players secretly committed but apparently don't want the cat out of the bag yet so they can continue to play the recruiting game for whatever reason(s).
                            Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                              There's some cloak and dagger going on and a few players secretly committed but apparently don't want the cat out of the bag yet so they can continue to play the recruiting game for whatever reason(s).
                              gotcha

Comment

Working...
                              X