BYU's Wide Receiver Recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BYU's Wide Receiver Recruiting

Again,,I apologize for copying a post I made on Cougarboard.

These are the athletes we've signed at WR over the past few years and what we have to look forward to:

Marcus Mathews: A 6'5 200 WR from Oregon with good speed for his size. He's about to return from his mission and will redshirt in 2009 and be a Redshirt Freshman in 2010.
    http://byu.scout.com/a.z?s=338&p=8&c=1&nid=2392602

Jordan Smith: A 6'4 200 WR from Spanish Fork...another big WR but with very good speed to boot. He redshirted his Freshman year and then left for a mission. He returns from his mission this Winter and will be available for the 2010 Season
    http://byu.scout.com/a.z?s=338&p=8&c=1&nid=2635805

Jake Murphy: A 6'5 215 WR from American Fork...an all around solid athlete that signed in 08' and then left on his mission and has been out for almost a year now. I've heard he's already around 230-240. In my opinion there's no way this kid stays at WR and is likely moved to one of several positions: TE/DL/LB...he's athletic enough to play any of those positions.
    http://byu.scout.com/a.z?s=338&p=8&c=1&nid=3008907

Brett Thompson: A 6'3 210 WR from the same High School Austin Collie came from. He signed in the 09' class and is in my opinion one of our Top 5 guys we signed for that class. He plans on playing one year then leaving on his mission. He's VERY good...watch his film and you'll get excited. I won't be surprised to see him get some legit Reps behind the Jacobsen/Chambers/Ashworth trio.
    http://byu.scout.com/a.z?s=338&p=8&c=1&nid=3229714

Mitch Mathews: A 6'5 200 LB WR from Oregon and brother of Marcus. He's leaving straight on a mission out of High School.
    http://byu.scout.com/a.z?s=338&p=8&c=1&nid=3104097

Cody Hoffman: A 6'4 200 from a small school in far Northern California. He was a last minute find for this years class and the coaches are excited about him. He's another solid athlete that could also switch positions. Under the radar to be sure. Not LDS..plans on playing 4 straight, but is a prime redshirt candidate this season.
    http://byu.scout.com/a.z?s=338&p=8&c=1&nid=4157085

Add these guys to Ross Apo's commitment today and I think he's more talented than any of these kids save Brett Thompson...I think Thompson is close to, if not at his level.

The obvious trend you've noticed is that BYU is going for Tall Wide Receivers.

This is in addition to the guys we have now in Chambers & Jacobsen...both Sophomores and Ashworth a Junior. Sadly Spencer Hafoka who has a lot of potential might not play again,,,but time will tell.

I like the recruiting at this position a lot.

I have been told several times that the coaches think Jordan Smith may be the best of the bunch. He ran a 4.4 his freshman year, has good hands, great return ability, and great size.
    *Banned*

Comment

When do we recruit some good corners?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
        You might not believe me,,,but I'd be a lot more worried about our LB'ers and the paper thin depth at D-line this year than our Secondary.

We've got some good athletes at corner now.....it's up to them to figure out Coach Hill's complicated system and get it down.

I'm still bullish on Brandon Bradley..I think he's going to have a fine year.

We have 2 JC Guys coming,,,,Lee Aguirre and Brian Logan. Aguirre in particular comes in with a very good rep garnering 17 INT's in 2 years.

Garrett Nicholson is a redshirt freshman that to be honest is a kid I wish played RB,,,but he could be a good one at Corner as well.

Robbie Buckner has been home from his mission since December I believe...and he's one of the fastest kids on the team and actually played corner in High School unlike Brandon Howard.

I like our 2 deep at Corner this year.

Comment

Didn't you get the memo, Rocky? BYU can't recruit athletes.
          "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

FWIW, I'm really excited about the Ashworth/Jacobsen/Chambers group.
            I'm like LeBron James.
            -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
              Perhaps one of those WRs gets turned into a CB ala Sean Smith or more recently Richard Wilson going from TE to LB (at least that was the rumor).
              "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Originally posted by RockyBalboa View Post
                You might not believe me,,,but I'd be a lot more worried about our LB'ers and the paper thin depth at D-line this year than our Secondary.

We've got some good athletes at corner now.....it's up to them to figure out Coach Hill's complicated system and get it down.

I'm still bullish on Brandon Bradley..I think he's going to have a fine year.

We have 2 JC Guys coming,,,,Lee Aguirre and Brian Logan. Aguirre in particular comes in with a very good rep garnering 17 INT's in 2 years.

Garrett Nicholson is a redshirt freshman that to be honest is a kid I wish played RB,,,but he could be a good one at Corner as well.

Robbie Buckner has been home from his mission since December I believe...and he's one of the fastest kids on the team and actually played corner in High School unlike Brandon Howard.

I like our 2 deep at Corner this year.
                Agreed. I like our situation at safety as well.

Comment

I should also add about Brian Logan...he's already in Provo and has been for a few weeks, he's taking some summer classes even though he's not required too.

He wanted to get here and work out with his teammates.

He's a shorter guy at about 5'8....but VERY stocky and a ferocious hitter.

Comment

Working...
                  X