The whiter the skin the closer to God

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The whiter the skin the closer to God

"So here we have the LDS Church faced with potential errors in the Book of Mormons, that started off with faulty data that proved to be an embarrassment and has been pointed out by some church members and by many Native Americans as racist: the whiter the skin the closer to God."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tim-gi...b_1445534.html

I have never looked at the doctrine as whiter skin being more pure, it explains a whole lot about my kids' behavior.

Seriously, I love how the anti-Mormonism just comes out of the woodworks.

Originally posted by TexTechCoug View Post
    "So here we have the LDS Church faced with potential errors in the Book of Mormons, that started off with faulty data that proved to be an embarrassment and has been pointed out by some church members and by many Native Americans as racist: the whiter the skin the closer to God."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tim-gi...b_1445534.html

I have never looked at the doctrine as whiter skin being more pure, it explains a whole lot about my kids' behavior.

Seriously, I love how the anti-Mormonism just comes out of the woodworks.
    There's an easy way the Mormon church can deal with this: say you're sorry.

Comment

Interesting how they left out George P. Lee's child molestation.
      Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Viking View Post
        There's an easy way the Mormon church can deal with this: say you're sorry.
        You should have at least read the article. The author cites Rick Ross of the Ross Institute for the Study of Destructive Cults, Controversial Groups and Movements. The blanket statements by the author are both ridiculously biased and unfounded.

My own family spent years in Cayenta living and working with the Navajos, not exploiting them as child laborers as the author suggests. He also takes a nice jab at Larry Echohawk.

For a more interesting read on Mormons and Native Americans read here:

http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/cgi/vi...94&context=etd
        Last edited by TexTechCoug; 04-23-2012, 06:52 PM.

Comment

The family across the street must be very close to God because their skin is so white it's almost blinding.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
            The family across the street must be very close to God because their skin is so white it's almost blinding.
            My wife's skin is so white you can see her soul.
            "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

You should have at least read the article. The author cites Rick Ross of the Ross Institute for the Study of Destructive Cults, Controversial Groups and Movements. The blanket statements by the author are both ridiculously biased and unfounded.

My own family spent years in Cayenta living and working with the Navajos, not exploiting them as child laborers as the author suggests. He also takes a nice jab at Larry Echohawk.

For a more interesting read on Mormons and Native Americans read here:

http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/cgi/vi...94&context=etd
              how dare you imply that rick ross is not the most important scholar of our generation

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

"They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

This article is critical and it's history isn't nuanced, but it isn't anti-Mormon.
                  We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                    This article is critical and it's history isn't nuanced, but it isn't anti-Mormon.
                    agreed, this is one of those cases where we hung ourselves with our own rope. it appears to me that all of the quotes used are accurate and not taken out of context. Kimball really did say those things, and many a seminary teacher repeated them. while not emphasized now, they are a part of our cultural fabric.
                    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                    Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                      What would you consider anti-Mormon? I would assume an article that provides biased coverage intended to paint Mormonism in a wholy negative light could be considered anti. It may be a question of how the word "anti" is defined. I don't spend much time debating the value of the word, but I think anti fair when you question how any Native American could be a member of a religion.

As to pellegrino's assertion that the Church hanged itself, I would disagree. There may have been quotes taken in context in the article, but a more in depth review of what Church leaders said and did in regards to Native Americans is much more illustrative. Church leaders, including Brigham Young and Spencer W. Kimball, were much more caring and thoughtful than portrayed in this article. The picture painted both in this article and by those who are upset with the Church or simply embarassed by the Church neglects to evaluate the full body of the leaders actions, comments and the setting in which they occurred.

Comment

http://inamerica.blogs.cnn.com/2012/...-white-latina/
                        Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

All I know is most of the mormons I have known through the years have tried to get a tan and the most popular girls in high school and college had great tan lines.

I wonder how the author would deal with those facts.

Comment

I'm struggling to understand the relevance of this article. Are you suggesting that Kimball's remarks are coming true? Does that mean that white people are greater in the side of God? Help me out on this one.
                            Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                            God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                            Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                              All I know is most of the mormons I have known through the years have tried to get a tan and the most popular girls in high school and college had great tan lines.

I wonder how the author would deal with those facts.
                              The fun girls have no tan lines.

Comment

Working...
                              X