Business is Business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business is Business

"Instead, what his [Romney's] career has given him is the businessman’s concept of self — that what he does is not who he is. This is what enables the slumlord to be a charitable man. This is what enables the corporate raider to endow his university. Business is business. It’s what you do. It is not who you are. Lying isn’t a sin. It’s a business plan."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...UMT_story.html

I think I see this a lot. I recently heard a statement that rang true: behind every great fortune is a great crime. They then become philanthropists.
    A Mormon president could make a perfectly patriotic, competent, inspiring leader. But not Mitt Romney. He is a husked void. --David Javerbaum

Originally posted by The Rambam View Post
    "Instead, what his [Romney's] career has given him is the businessman’s concept of self — that what he does is not who he is. This is what enables the slumlord to be a charitable man. This is what enables the corporate raider to endow his university. Business is business. It’s what you do. It is not who you are. Lying isn’t a sin. It’s a business plan."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...UMT_story.html

I think I see this a lot. I recently heard a statement that rang true: behind every great fortune is a great crime. They then become philanthropists.
    Are you serious or trolling. I could buy it if the word you used was "some" instead of "every".

It is quite amazing how often people look at other people and have some excuse as to why they aren't as successful financially as others. Happens even in the church often. Yet, often these people say you shouldn't measure success and happiness in terms of money and I agree. Still some go off making up excuses as to why some don't have the success they say isn't that important.

Comment

I'm sure you could have found a better editorial to make whatever point you're trying to make here.
      Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
        Are you serious or trolling. I could buy it if the word you used was "some" instead of "every".

It is quite amazing how often people look at other people and have some excuse as to why they aren't as successful financially as others. Happens even in the church often. Yet, often these people say you shouldn't measure success and happiness in terms of money and I agree. Still some go off making up excuses as to why some don't have the success they say isn't that important.
        My excuse is that I forfeit the blessings that come from righteousness.
        Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
          My excuse is that I forfeit the blessings that come from righteousness.
          LOL. There was a time I believed this. My brother who has done extremely well, strongly believes that. The thing he worries about most is if he has done enough good to be worthy of the money and "things" he has.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post

As Elder Packer said once: The exceptions prove the rule, lets deal with the rule first, then worry about the exceptions.

It isn't about you or me. The questions are three-fold:

1. Is there a crime behind the accumulation of great wealth?

2. Does business teach a bifurcation of morality between what you do in business and what you do in your personal sphere?

3. Is there a crime behind Ronmey's fortune and does he bifurcate his morality into business and personal spheres?

I'd answer, 1. Almost always, yes. 2. Absolutely yes. And, 3. Yes and probably.

If anyone wants to discuss these issues, I'm game.
            A Mormon president could make a perfectly patriotic, competent, inspiring leader. But not Mitt Romney. He is a husked void. --David Javerbaum

Comment

Business is business and business must grow, regardless of crummies in tummies you know.
              When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

As Elder Packer said once: The exceptions prove the rule, lets deal with the rule first, then worry about the exceptions.

2. Does business teach a bifurcation of morality between what you do in business and what you do in your personal sphere?

3. Is there a crime behind Ronmey's fortune and does he bifurcate his morality into business and personal spheres?

I'll bite. Why is the accumulation of great wealth a crime?

And I assume you mean "sin", not "crime". There is certainly no law against it.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

1. No.
                  2. No. Business ethics are taught in every reputable MBA program and if you took a business ethics class you would learn that adherence to high standards of ethics is good business. Financial success is not necessarily the result of unethical behavior.
                  3. I don't think so. Show me his crimes.
                  Last edited by Flystripper; 04-17-2012, 03:06 PM.
                  Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    I'll bite. Why is the accumulation of great wealth a crime?

And I assume you mean "sin", not "crime". There is certainly no law against it.
                    I thought the BoM was pretty specific that the accumulation of wealth was most definitely not a crime, as long as someone first seeks to obtain the kingdom and then he/she will use that wealth for the benefit of others. So, I disagree with Rambam.
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I think that behind the greatest fortunes made in American history there is often an insipient antitrust offense if not a crime. Other than that, I don't agree. Of course anitrust laws that prohibit monopolies (as opposed to price fixing for example), which is what I'm referring to here, are by their very existence controversial, and only implicated in extreme situations.
                      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                        1. No.
                        2. No. Business ethics are taught in every reputable MBA program and if you took a business ethics class you would learn that adherence to high standards of ethics is good business. Financial success is not necessarily the result of unethical behavior.
                        3. I don't think so. Show me his crimes.
                        Agree. Also note where this is going: "Lying isn’t a sin. It’s a business plan".

So the successful businessman is a dishonest liar.

And the successful career politician is a honest public servant.

Will the media be as willing to throw Buffet, Jobs, and Gates under the bus and question their integrity? After all, they are/were successful businessmen.
                        “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                        "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

I disagree with all 3 of your statements. Maybe I still don't get what you are getting at. Morality in business and other parts of ones life. Whose morality, yours?

I know there are some crooks and unsavory characters who make a lot of money. However, my eperience by large majority is counter to that. They give a lot to charities. They provide jobs to many. As a matter of fact one of them kept his business open in 2010 and 2011 just so he wouldn't have to can a lot of people. He ended up puttin about 2 million of his own money instead of just laying a bunch of people off.

Again, I just don't know what you are getting at, but what you have said is just dead wrong based on my experience.

Comment

1. No.
                            2. No. Ethical behavior is held-up as good for business and my personal experience confirms this is true.
                            3. No and I highly doubt it.
                            One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
                            SU

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                              I'm sure you could have found a better editorial to make whatever point you're trying to make here.
                              Just spitballing here but perhaps Mr. Cohen had his ancestors' temple work surreptitiously done?
                              "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Working...
                              X