PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hear the Fiesta bowl rep on 1320 this morning?

cougjunkie
12-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Basically he said they would take Ohio State over Utah in a second. He said that the 3 worst ratings games in BCS history were:

1. Utah vs Pitt
2. Hawaii vs Georgia
3. Boise State vs Oklahoma

Even though Boise vs Oklahoma was a great game, people didnt tune in to watch until the 4th quarter and OT. Also when asked about the economy and if the fact that Utah is closer than Ohio State played a factor because of travel he said absolutely not. He said the Fiesta Bowl is already sold out so it doesnt matter who they invite.

If the number 1 team in the nation after this week is Oklahoma, then you will see Texas vs Ohio State in the Fiesta, if the number 1 team is Alabama/Florida then you will see Texas vs Utah in the Fiesta. The bowl that loses the number 1 team has first pick.

DrumNFeather
12-02-2008, 10:20 AM
I thought it was interesting that the Fiesta Bowl really doesn't have trouble filling its stadium when other bowls really struggle.

I also thought the question of not taking ohio st in the fiesta and hoping they slip to the insight bowl was kind of interesting.

TripletDaddy
12-02-2008, 10:25 AM
Basically he said they would take Ohio State over Utah in a second. He said that the 3 worst ratings games in BCS history were:

1. Utah vs Pitt
2. Hawaii vs Georgia

Even though Boise vs Oklahoma was a great game, people didnt tune in to watch until the 4th quarter and OT. Also when asked about the economy and if the fact that Utah is closer than Ohio State played a factor because of travel he said absolutely not. He said the Fiesta Bowl is already sold out so it doesnt matter who they invite.

If the number 1 team in the nation after this week is Oklahoma, then you will see Texas vs Ohio State in the Fiesta, if the number 1 team is Alabama/Florida then you will see Texas vs Utah in the Fiesta. The bowl that loses the number 1 team has first pick.

That rep must be reading my posts, along with PK.

Nobody wants the non-BCS team in its bowl. And sorry folks, but the ratings tell us that nobody really wants to watch the non-BCS team, either. I think it is sobering to realize that people across the country really don't care much about non-BCS schools. It isn't a media bias. It is general fan apathy towards a mediocre product.

UteStar
12-02-2008, 10:26 AM
It would be interesting to see Utah and Texas play each other as this was a matchup that was supposed to happen early in the year (it was cancelled one or two years ago).

TripletDaddy
12-02-2008, 10:30 AM
It would be interesting to see Utah and Texas play each other as this was a matchup that was supposed to happen early in the year (it was cancelled one or two years ago).

I don't think would be interesting at all. It seems that such a pairing would be a bloodbath. My guess is that this is why the Fiesta Bowl rep does NOT want Utah, but would prefer Ohio State.

Interesting would be Utah v Boise State, maybe.

il Padrino Ute
12-02-2008, 10:34 AM

1. Utah vs Pitt
2. Hawaii vs Georgia

None of what he said surprised me because the BCS is about money, not football.

No non-BCS team is attractive to the people who sell ad time to sponsors or the sponsors themselves.

SeattleUte
12-02-2008, 10:36 AM

1. Utah vs Pitt
2. Hawaii vs Georgia

Witness Junkie's gall of bitterness. Sad.

DrumNFeather
12-02-2008, 10:36 AM
I don't think would be interesting at all. It seems that such a pairing would be a bloodbath. My guess is that this is why the Fiesta Bowl rep does NOT want Utah, but would prefer Ohio State.

So, is Ohio St. a more compelling opponent for Texas because it will be a bloodbath that is viewed by more? That seems to be the only advantage that the experts give Ohio st...people will pay/tune in to see them go down.

cougjunkie
12-02-2008, 10:38 AM

I am just reporting what I heard. To be honest I dont care if utah gets beat by Texas or Alabama. I do think they deserve to play a good team though.

il Padrino Ute
12-02-2008, 10:38 AM
So, is Ohio St. a more compelling opponent for Texas because it will be a bloodbath that is viewed by more? That seems to be the only advantage that the experts give Ohio st...people will pay/tune in to see them go down.

That's exactly it. I think I heard David James say something like 40% of the US population lives in the Big 10 boundaries. That is a lot of potential viewers.

il Padrino Ute
12-02-2008, 10:40 AM

Junkie is telling us exactly what the Fiesta Bowl rep said.

TripletDaddy
12-02-2008, 10:47 AM

This is absolutely a reason. The BCS is about money, not about championships.

Nobody wants Utah in its BCS bowl. This isnt a slam against Utah. Nobody would have wanted BYU, either.

il Padrino Ute
12-02-2008, 11:08 AM
This is absolutely a reason. The BCS is about money, not about championships.

Nobody wants Utah in its BCS bowl. This isnt a slam against Utah. Nobody would have wanted BYU, either.

1996 proved that nobody wants BYU in its BCS Bowl.

Jeff Lebowski
12-02-2008, 11:09 AM
Ohio State or Utah vs. my Longhorns? Ugh... Damn that dropped interception!

I guess I would prefer Utah. Ohio State sucks in big games.

TripletDaddy
12-02-2008, 11:26 AM
1996 proved that nobody wants BYU in its BCS Bowl.

Technically the Bowl Alliance, not the BCS, but your point is still correct. BYU got the shaft.

Truthfully, from a financial perspective, I can't say I blame these bcs conferences.

myboynoah
12-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Technically the Bowl Alliance, not the BCS, but your point is still correct. BYU got the shaft.

Truthfully, from a financial perspective, I can't say I blame these bcs conferences.

Yes, because it's all about the number of TV sets. Mormons need to watch more TV.

OrangeUte
12-02-2008, 12:10 PM

i think bloodbath is overstating it quite a bit. The Utes would likely lose, but I'm not convinced that it would be by more than 10 points - certainly not a blood bath. Any given Saturday, my friend... Utes being coached by Kyle gives me hope that, like Majerus in 1998, our Crimson warriors can game plan their way to a win or at least a very respectable showing against top-notch game planning. Plus, irregardless of what you want to say - the Utes defense is top notch.

RockyBalboa
12-02-2008, 01:11 PM
i think bloodbath is overstating it quite a bit. The Utes would likely lose, but I'm not convinced that it would be by more than 10 points - certainly not a blood bath. Any given Saturday, my friend... Utes being coached by Kyle gives me hope that, like Majerus in 1998, our Crimson warriors can game plan their way to a win or at least a very respectable showing against top-notch game planning. Plus, irregardless of what you want to say - the Utes defense is top notch.

I'll take the 10pts and over against these teams: Oklahoma, Florida and Texas
It would be a major bloodbath against of these 3 opponents.

Against Alabama I think they could be competitive to a point. Alabama's power rushing attack would overwhelm Utahs Front 7.

Against USC Utah wouldn't be able to move the ball and would be lucky to score 10 points.

Just my opinion of course.

BlueHair
12-02-2008, 01:54 PM
Plus, irregardless of what you want to say - the Utes defense is top notch.

Does irregardless and regardless mean the same thing?

il Padrino Ute
12-02-2008, 02:47 PM

Using irregardless in his application is probably how AA got accepted to Duke for law school.

All-American
12-02-2008, 03:33 PM
Using irregardless in his application is probably how AA got accepted to Duke for law school.

Beg your pardon?

I will make every effort to attend irrespective of the location.

il Padrino Ute
12-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Beg your pardon?

See? That's why you were accepted to Duke and if I were to send applications to law schools, I'd be lucky to get accepted to the Howard J. Turkster school of law on the campus of South-Southwest North Dakota University in Marmath, ND.

UtahDan
12-02-2008, 06:29 PM

The word he is looking for is irrespective. Irregardless is a nonsense word. It it would literally mean without without regard to.

SeattleUte
12-02-2008, 07:52 PM

3D is trolling. If Oregon State beat USC, Utah beats Texas. The Utes would be in the game because of their defense.

BlueHair
12-02-2008, 08:08 PM
The Utes would be in the game because of their defense.

Texas would score 35 without much problem. BYU scored 24 with 5 turnovers. Texas has a much better QB and offense than BYU. 50+ points would be likely. Texas doesn't have a great defense so Utah might be able to keep it close by scoring a lot of points.

OrangeUte
12-02-2008, 09:19 PM
3D is trolling. If Oregon State beat USC, Utah beats Texas. The Utes would be in the game because of their defense.

Agreed. Utah's defense doesn't get the credit it deserves on this board.

I think Utah keeps it within 10 points against anyone in the top 10, maybe even pulling off a win, and beats anyone outside of the top 10. Again, like Rocky, this is just my opinion. Any given Saturday... that's the beauty of college football. Oregon State can beat USC, Ole Miss can beat Florida, and the Utes can beat Texas/Florida/Oklahoma/Alabama... Hope springs eternal.

OrangeUte
12-02-2008, 09:20 PM
The word he is looking for is irrespective. Irregardless is a nonsense word. It it would literally mean without without regard to.

Irregardless is a nonsense word that is an accepted part of oral speech. I didn't realize that CUF had such stringent standards for posts.

OrangeUte
12-02-2008, 09:23 PM
Texas would score 35 without much problem. BYU scored 24 with 5 turnovers. Texas has a much better QB and offense than BYU. 50+ points would be likely. Texas doesn't have a great defense so Utah might be able to keep it close by scoring a lot of points.

And the Utes scored 48 and doubled the Coug's score with those 5 turnovers (or was it 6?)... speculative at best until the game is played, but I think that the Utes keep it close againts Texas. You get to McCoy you can disrupt their offense. The Utes have the ends to get to McCoy and the defensive backs to cover any group of receivers in the country. Where I get a little concerned is the size of our linebackers - power backs like Vakupuna and Unga seem to be able to pick up a few extra yards per carry because of the size of our LB's.

cougjunkie
12-02-2008, 09:44 PM
And the Utes scored 48 and doubled the Coug's score with those 5 turnovers (or was it 6?)... speculative at best until the game is played, but I think that the Utes keep it close againts Texas. You get to McCoy you can disrupt their offense. The Utes have the ends to get to McCoy and the defensive backs to cover any group of receivers in the country. Where I get a little concerned is the size of our linebackers - power backs like Vakupuna and Unga seem to be able to pick up a few extra yards per carry because of the size of our LB's.

One thing I will disagree with here is getting to Mccoy. Utah didnt get to Max Hall once. BYU also ran for over 200 yards and now it looks like Utah will be without its D-coordinator for the game with Anderson very close to accepting the Utah State job.

DrumNFeather
12-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Irregardless is a nonsense word that is an accepted part of oral speech. I didn't realize that CUF had such stringent standards for posts.

While we're at it, let's keep whole nother out of our board vocab! (It was listed in my pet peeves so the board is well aware of my proclivities on this topic!):)

BlueHair
12-02-2008, 09:59 PM

You can never be sure until the game is played. However, if Texas plays Utah and the spread is under 10, I will bet a month's pay on Texas.

BlueHair
12-02-2008, 10:05 PM
While we're at it, let's keep whole nother out of our board vocab! (It was listed in my pet peeves so the board is well aware of my proclivities on this topic!):)

Let's add then/than to the list. "I am smarter then you, but that's a whole nother subject."

RockyBalboa
12-03-2008, 07:30 AM
Agreed. Utah's defense doesn't get the credit it deserves on this board.

I think Utah keeps it within 10 points against anyone in the top 10, maybe even pulling off a win, and beats anyone outside of the top 10. Again, like Rocky, this is just my opinion. Any given Saturday... that's the beauty of college football. Oregon State can beat USC, Ole Miss can beat Florida, and the Utes can beat Texas/Florida/Oklahoma/Alabama... Hope springs eternal.

LOL...you think Utahs defense is good enough to keep offenses like Oklahoma, Florida and Texas in check?

Alrighty then.......

Look were BYU in the same position you guys were I'd want to go up against the best to and see how we measure up, but if even we can put 24 pts on you guys and Oregon State can put 28 pts on you guys,,,it only serves to purpose what kind of carnage those other offenses would leave in their wake.

If you play any of the 3 teams mentioned above I will be shocked if you keep the final score within 3 touchdowns.

Solon
12-03-2008, 09:34 AM
LOL...you think Utahs defense is good enough to keep offenses like Oklahoma, Florida and Texas in check?

I'm as much a Ute homer as anyone, but look at what Oklahoma did to TCU. The same TCU that pretty much dominated the Utes for most of their game. OK, FL, USC, and TX are a different species than anyone else this year (and yeah, I left out Alabama on purpose; until they beat Florida on Saturday, they're too slow for me).

This is a fun Utah team, and I'd love to see them play out of their heads and beat a big-time program, but predicting an upset is like predicting a lightning strike.

You've got to go with probabilities. But I can always hope for the improbable.

DrumNFeather
12-03-2008, 09:41 AM
I'm as much a Ute homer as anyone, but look at what Oklahoma did to TCU. The same TCU that pretty much dominated the Utes for most of their game. OK, FL, USC, and TX are a different species than anyone else this year (and yeah, I left out Alabama on purpose; until they beat Florida on Saturday, they're too slow for me).

This is a fun Utah team, and I'd love to see them play out of their heads and beat a big-time program, but predicting an upset is like predicting a lightning strike.

You've got to go with probabilities. But I can always hope for the improbable.

The one thing I would say about the Utes chances is that they are playing with house money. Really, they've got nothing to lose. Hawaii getting shalacked last year did not prevent the Non-BCS teams from getting back into the BCS this year, so even if Utah does lose and loses bad, so what? Someone else will be there next year.

Conversly, a team like Texas or Alabama will not get up for Utah the way they would for Ohio St...AND they have everything to lose and nothing to gain by being matched up vs. Utah in a BCS game.

I'm not saying that Utah can hang, but I'm not saying they can't either...I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Brian
12-03-2008, 09:45 AM
The one thing I would say about the Utes chances is that they are playing with house money. Really, they've got nothing to lose. Hawaii getting shalacked last year did not prevent the Non-BCS teams from getting back into the BCS this year, so even if Utah does lose and loses bad, so what? Someone else will be there next year.

Conversly, a team like Texas or Alabama will not get up for Utah the way they would for Ohio St...AND they have everything to lose and nothing to gain by being matched up vs. Utah in a BCS game.

I'm not saying that Utah can hang, but I'm not saying they can't either...I guess we'll find out soon enough.

They don't have the talent, but they certainly have the heart.
I'll never say never with this group.

PaloAltoCougar
12-03-2008, 10:02 AM

I agree with this. Based on pretty much all objective factors, Utah should get smoked by a SEC or Big 12 BCS participant, but there are some seasons when decent teams catch the breaks, show heart, and the stars align. BYU's much maligned '84 team was one of those, and Utah seems to be one as well.

Utah seems as lucky this year as it was unlucky last year. And I don't mean to disparage Utah's season this year with that observation. Sometimes you get the breaks and you take advantage of them Utah has done that extremely well.

But I'll still give the points vs. 'Bama, Florida, Texas or Oklahoma.

RockyBalboa
12-03-2008, 10:09 AM

I agree on the heart aspect. They've shown grit time and again when their backs were up against the wall. That's a hallmark of a team with solid leadership and a good Senior QB.

Against Alabama I give Utah a very good punchers chance. While Alabama has an excellent defense, and a very good rushing attack, it just feels like they've been waiting to get exposed all year long.

CJF
12-03-2008, 10:30 AM

I agree with this. I think the 2004 team would beat this team pretty handily. That team had the talent and the heart. And while I think Whittingham is a very good coach, UM was better in 2004.

It is not 2004 and this Utah team is gritty. They find ways to win and the defense is good enough to keep them in with just about everyone in the country. Sure, they might get blown out by Texas, Oklahoma, USC or Florida, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them hang close and then win it with either a BJ drive or a Sakoda kick. Not the most talented, but they do get the most out of that talent.

SeattleUte
12-03-2008, 11:48 AM
BYU fans, you have no right to assess Utah's chances in a BCS bowl. No right. Utah slaughtering your team and humiliating your beloved coach and qb means you have no right to comment on this. If I were in your position and Utah were where BYU is I wouldn't say a word. You just sound like nasty sour grapes. As Junkie said, you don't know until the game is played.

creekster
12-03-2008, 11:50 AM
BYU fans, you have no right to assess Utah's chances in a BCS bowl. No right. Utah slaughtering your team and humiliating your beloved coach and qb means you have no right to comment on this. If I were in your position and Utah were where BYU is I wouldn't say a word. You just sound like nasty sour grapes. As Junkie said, you don't know until the game is played.

I was going to go with what Junkie said until you pointed out that he had no right to comment.

Flystripper
12-03-2008, 12:08 PM
wrong thread

PaloAltoCougar
12-03-2008, 12:20 PM

With this you have achieved what Woody Allen once characterized as "the zenith in mongoloid reasoning." Applying same, if fans of a 10-2, nationally ranked football team are estopped from commenting on BCS games then, in view of Utah's abysmal basketball performance of the past few years, you are hereby muzzled from discussing basketball at whatever level, since the gap between the two schools has been far greater the past few years in basketball than it has been in football. So silence, ye fiend from the infernal pit. I'll let you know when you can emerge from your cave of basketball hibernation.

BlueHair
12-03-2008, 12:26 PM

Are you the mother of one of the Ute players?

SeattleUte
12-03-2008, 01:38 PM
With this you have achieved what Woody Allen once characterized as "the zenith in mongoloid reasoning." Applying same, if fans of a 10-2, nationally ranked football team are estopped from commenting on BCS games then, in view of Utah's abysmal basketball performance of the past few years, you are hereby muzzled from discussing basketball at whatever level, since the gap between the two schools has been far greater the past few years in basketball than it has been in football. So silence, ye fiend from the infernal pit. I'll let you know when you can emerge from your cave of basketball hibernation.

BYU basketball will hit the proverbial wall next year. Regardless, I was silent about BYU's chances in the NCAA playoffs except for maybe a taunt or two about past NCAA playoff failures. Of course similar bowl smack is not available to you all against Utah football.