Why I am supporting Obama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I am supporting Obama

Let me say that I firmly believe the economy is, and should be, the driving force behind deciding whom to support in the presidential election...and it is for me as well. Nothing else even comes close in my mind as to which issue to prioritize when choosing a candidate.

With that said, even though they adamanty claim different, I honestly cannot see where the Republicans have done a better job of dealing with economic issues than the Democrats. So...since there is no difference economically in my mind, I will move on to what I consider the second most important issue; social policies. The Democrats are much more in line with my beliefs in that regard so I'm going with Obama.
    “According to the teachings of Buddhism, the worst thing that you can do to your karma is to say to someone else that their faith is bad”

Originally posted by Swimmer View Post
    Let me say that I firmly believe the economy is, and should be, the driving force behind deciding whom to support in the presidential election...and it is for me as well. Nothing else even comes close in my mind as to which issue to prioritize when choosing a candidate.

With that said, even though they adamanty claim different, I honestly cannot see where the Republicans have done a better job of dealing with economic issues than the Democrats. So...since there is no difference economically in my mind, I will move on to what I consider the second most important issue; social policies. The Democrats are much more in line with my beliefs in that regard so I'm going with Obama.

IMHO, the economy works best when there is divided government. So I would be fine if Obama got elected as long as I was assured a house and senate that was republican.

One problem I have with Obama though is he seems to lack respect for divided government. He really uses the power he has to affect the economy through beaurocrats. It has been a eye opener to me to find how many laws are written with carte blanche given to the beaurocrats to set up the rules and regulations within the law.

Our company couldn't even tell us how Dodd/Frank will impact us. The reason is because they have to wait for the beaurocrats to decide how to interpret it.

Comment

I don't at all agree with your rational on the economy. Maybe if you are comparing Bush/Obama, but not Romney/Obama. The more I read and listen to Obama and his administration, the more I believe that he is absolutely clueless on fiscal issues. He uses political rhetoric to the extreme when pushing for his policies, with no regard for the bigger picture fiscal issue at hand.

The Buffett Rule is a good example. He seems to like to demonize millionaires for the fact that they pay a lower ETR than the average Joe Citizen, but he fails to mention that it was under the Clinton administration that the capital gains tax rates were reduced to a level lower than ordinary income tax rates and it just so happens that under Clinton the economy flourished and we balanced the budget (certainly not 100% correlation here but there has to be some). Obama's rhetoric is simply (paraphrasing his tweets) "No secretary should pay a higher tax rate than their millionaire boss", which sounds good to the simpleton but in the larger scheme there is an arguably good economic reason for lower tax rates on investment income.

FTR, I'm fine with higher taxes on the rich and a progressive tax structure, but for the economy reason is more important than rhetoric, however for political gain rhetoric is more important than reason...and Obama knows this, unfortunately.
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Question for you...if there is a law similar to the buffet rule, it would have to be implemented at some date. Suppose this date is January 1, 2013. What do you think the stock markets will look like in December as investors prepare for a 100% increase in their tax rate? Another question, how will municipal binds do when investors are placed with the 100% increase on their tax rate? Will the investors send their money to other opportunities.

I'm not a big finance guy, but these questions pose significant issues in my mind. I believe Obama is playing politics here...he knows this can't pass because of how devastating it would be, so he milks it to rip on Romney.
        "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

"So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
          Obama's rhetoric is simply (paraphrasing his tweets) "No secretary should pay a higher tax rate than their millionaire boss", which sounds good to the simpleton but in the larger scheme there is an arguably good economic reason for lower tax rates on investment income.
          What is that reason? We just finished our taxes, and ended up paying about 20% on less than $100k, which is significantly more than than Mitt pays on his investment income. Why is it that public school teachers should pay a higher tax rate than Mitt Romney?

Comment

Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
            What is that reason? We just finished our taxes, and ended up paying about 20% on less than $100k, which is significantly more than than Mitt pays on his investment income. Why is it that public school teachers should pay a higher tax rate than Mitt Romney?
            Because of people like Mitt, the city had enough money to build the school so you could have a job there.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorcoug View Post
              Question for you...if there is a law similar to the buffet rule, it would have to be implemented at some date. Suppose this date is January 1, 2013. What do you think the stock markets will look like in December as investors prepare for a 100% increase in their tax rate? Another question, how will municipal binds do when investors are placed with the 100% increase on their tax rate? Will the investors send their money to other opportunities.

I'm not a big finance guy, but these questions pose significant issues in my mind. I believe Obama is playing politics here...he knows this can't pass because of how devastating it would be, so he milks it to rip on Romney.

I took crap for stating this, but it is a fact. A lot of people with investable money are sitting on a bigger than usual portion of cash, because they don't trust the Obama administration.

Now people can bitch and moan about that attitude, but it is their money. Of course Obama could get re-elected and then take that money from them and give it to people who will spend it.

Comment

Because of people like Mitt, the city had enough money to build the school so you could have a job there.
                WTF does that have to do with paying a lower rate?

Comment

There are so many good reasons, but RF you wouldn't understand them. You would just argue them.

However, I will give you some advice that will help you get down near Mitt's rate. Donate the same percentage of your income to charity that Mitt does.

Comment

WTF does that have to do with paying a lower rate?
                    When one calculates the expected value of the ROI, they would utilize 15% as their tax rate. With the new proposal, that expected value would have to decrease by 15% strictly because of this rule. If an investor is debating between two different investing options, this could be the issue that pushes an investor to an alternative option. This would make it more difficult for municipalities to raise funds for capital investment.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                      There are so many good reasons, but RF you wouldn't understand them. You would just argue them.

However, I will give you some advice that will help you get down near Mitt's rate. Donate the same percentage of your income to charity that Mitt does.
                      Condescension doesn't become you, 71.

Comment

When one calculates the expected value of the ROI, they would utilize 15% as their tax rate. With the new proposal, that expected value would have to decrease by 15% strictly because of this rule. If an investor is debating between two different investing options, this could be the issue that pushes an investor to an alternative option. This would make it more difficult for municipalities to raise funds for capital investment.
                        And likewise, if prospective teachers knew that their rate would be 15% vs the rate they would get in other sectors, some highly qualified potential teachers might commit their talent to education rather than some other sector, and THAT might be a net benefit to society. But it wouldn't be fair. Let investors go to 'alternative options.' As with any change, it might hurt for a bit, but eventually smart entrepreneur-types will learn how to thrive under the FAIR system, those unable to adapt will die out as nature intended, and the world will be a better place.

Comment

Condescension doesn't become you, 71.
                          and blowing smoke up people butt's doesn't become you. Your example is like Obama and others put out information. It is misleading to anyone who doesn't think it through.

First off the $100,000 in income. Is that before all allowable deductions including exemptions for you, your wife and child?

Second, if that number is $100,000, you didn't pay 20% federal income tax. You paid lower than that.

You know I like you RF, but that doesn't mean I am going to let you throw shit out there and get away with it. You treat me the same way and that is fine with me.

Comment

RF 71
                            "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                            "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                            "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

David Frum talks about why it's good policy here.

The best reason, IMO, is simply that capital gains are entirely different than ordinary income. One is derived from the transfer of ownership of assets and the other is from the daily operations of the asset. I think a better question or starting point would be for someone to make the case as to why these two different types of income should be taxed the same....not differently.
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                              X