Four Team Playoff being discussed - Likely games 1996-2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four Team Playoff being discussed - Likely games 1996-2011

Thought I'd start a thread about the 4-team (or plus one) playoff being discussed by conference commissioners (see link below). In my view, this has some legs and could become a reality in 2015. As the link mentions, I think it very well could be four teams with major conference winners compromising three of those teams. The other selection could be another conference winner or highly ranked team (wildcard like Alabama this past season). I also think the format will be that the first round will be played at home stadiums based on a ranking system. The championship will be played in a bowl or NFL stadium that wins the bid. In short, the four playoff teams will be selected and the others will go to existing bowl games.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...will-look-like

To get an idea of what the future might hold for a 4-team playoff, I went back the past 16 seasons and paired up the teams that would have likely made the cut. An * denotes wildcard selection. Actual national champions in bold.

Edit: I must have a love of all things cheese because I put Wisconsin in there a lot. Looked again at the final BCS standings and made some corrections.

Last edited by Paperback Writer; 03-30-2012, 10:19 AM. Reason: Match-up corrects.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
    Thought I'd start a thread about the 4-team (or plus one) playoff being discussed by conference commissioners (see link below). In my view, this has some legs and could become a reality in 2015. As the link mentions, I think it very well could be four teams with major conference winners compromising three of those teams. The other selection could be another conference winner or highly ranked team (wildcard like Alabama this past season). I also think the format will be that the first round will be played at home stadiums based on a ranking system. The championship will be played in a bowl or NFL stadium that wins the bid. In short, the four playoff teams will be selected and the others will go to existing bowl games.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...will-look-like

To get an idea of what the future might hold for a 4-team playoff, I went back the past 16 seasons and paired up the teams that would have likely made the cut. An * denotes wildcard selection. Actual national champions in bold.
    In 2009, Cincinnati and TCU were 3-4 in the final regular season BCS standings.

Comment

96 BYU team left out again...
      "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
        96 BYU team left out again...
        Well at least he didn't miss any undefeated team in 2004 or 2008 in his ranking.
        "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

Stanford was 3 and Oregon 4 in the final BCS last year. Not sure how Wisconsin got in there, they were 7 or 8 I believe.

Edit: sorry Standord 4 Oregon 5, Wisconsin 10. Um just being in the BIg doesn't qualify you.
          Last edited by HuskyFreeNorthwest; 03-30-2012, 07:14 AM.
          Get confident, stupid
          -landpoke

Comment

Just shows it has to be bigger than 4. This doesn't eliminate much if any controversy.
            At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
            -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
              Just shows it has to be bigger than 4. This doesn't eliminate much if any controversy.
              Yeah I agree, I still think there will still be a lot of questions after every season.

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                Every time you double the number of teams, it only adds another week/round. 4 teams = 2 weeks, 8 teams = 3 weeks, 16 = 4 weeks. I think 16 teams would be a great number and the tournament could run in consecutive weeks from early/mid December to early January. Other bowls could run concurrently. I realize this makes too much sense though, and as such, has little to no possibility of being entertained.
                Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

Any selection system will not be perfect and the system or rankings to be used have yet to be determined. I'm just going off what was reported in that three of the four spots will be conference champions (and possibly all four). I think three is more likely. Last season would have been an interesting predicament. SEC winner LSU and Big 12 winner Oklahoma St. are definitely in. Alabama being #2 in the BCS would earn the wildcard. That means the last spot has to come from a major conference champion - Boise St. would only get an invite from a wildcard as would Stanford (and others). That would leave Oregon and Wisconsin as the most likely candidates. And I would agree with HFN that Oregon has the higher BCS ranking (if that is to be used) and the stronger claim over Wisconsin.

I also think I got 2009 wrong (and possibly other seasons). Cincinnati (or TCU) should get the nod over Boise St. But Florida still gets a spot since there is only one wildcard and the 5 major conferences (ACC, PAC-12. Big 12, Big Ten, SEC) will keep it that way.

As far as Utah's undefeasted seasons in 2008 and 2004. In 2008, Texas would have earned the wildcard and that would have eliminated both Alabama and Utah. USC was the next highest rated conference champion. A similar situation occurs in 2004. Texas again gets the wildcard over California and Utah.

As far as 1996 BYU, there's no little chance a one-loss BYU gets ranked ahead of a one-loss Ohio St. or Florida.

I think a 4-team playoff is better than the current system but it's not perfect and no playoff system ever will be. I don't think we'll ever see an 8-team or 16-team playoff. The bowls will always exist and a 4-team playoff will be taking arguably the best four teams out of the bowl picture. The Rose Bowl is fighting the hardest on this as they would want to keep a #1 USC vs #4 Ohio St. in the Rose Bowl rather than seeing that game take place in the Coliseum (even worse would be a #1 UCLA vs #4 Ohio St./Michigan that would take place in the Rose Bowl a week before the actual Rose Bowl is played). In short, I don't think the Bowls will allow taking more than four teams out of their pool. I think there's a strong chance that this will happen in 2015. There's too much money being left on the table and I think a 4-team playoff can happen without angering the various Bowl committess too much.
                  “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                  "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Another article. The powers that be are finally seeing how much $$$ they are leaving on the table by not having a playoff.
                    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Working...
                    X