Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Prices Still Dropping

http://money.cnn.com/2012/03/27/real...ices/index.htm

So when does the housing market finally stop the bleeding and start moving in the right direction? Locally, it appears the marketing might be ticking up, but that isn't much of a sample size.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

I thought our market was looking up, but we just got an appraisal back for a refinance and it came back as the same as when we bought it two and a half years ago, before we did major renovations. I don't understand it.
    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
      http://money.cnn.com/2012/03/27/real...ices/index.htm

So when does the housing market finally stop the bleeding and start moving in the right direction? Locally, it appears the marketing might be ticking up, but that isn't much of a sample size.
      I haven't looked at the data, but I think it's a function of aggregate income and access to credit. I would guess that demand for housing will be suppressed as long as unemployment stays high and real wages stay flat. Moreover, the prevalence of negative equity positions keeps many homeowners in their homes when they would otherwise trade up for a larger home, and if they have to move for a job, etc., the resulting short sale keeps them from buying new and turns them into renters in their new location.

I think this market presents a real opportunity for hard money lenders who are willing to lend to people who are forced to short-sell but who otherwise have excellent credit. If I had a hedge fund, I would explore this in selected markets.
      sigpic
      "Outlined against a blue, gray
      October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
      Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
        I haven't looked at the data, but I think it's a function of aggregate income and access to credit. I would guess that demand for housing will be suppressed as long as unemployment stays high and real wages stay flat. Moreover, the prevalence of negative equity positions keeps many homeowners in their homes when they would otherwise trade up for a larger home, and if they have to move for a job, etc., the resulting short sale keeps them from buying new and turns them into renters in their new location.

I think this market presents a real opportunity for hard money lenders who are willing to lend to people who are forced to short-sell but who otherwise have excellent credit. If I had a hedge fund, I would explore this in selected markets.
        My concern is that the current "supply" isn't accurate because of

1. The large number of foreclosed homes that are not currently on the market
        2. The large number of homes that are being rented instead of sold because they are upside-down

So even if the market ticks up, the dormant supply will gradually be activated, which will help keep the market flat or reduce the growth rates for a very long time. I'm no economist so someone can correct me if I'm off base here.

Comment

I've been shopping for homes in portland and I've noticed that, despite high income, I really can't afford most of the stuff I'm looking at. and so I don't see how many other people could afford it either. based on that simple analysis I think we've still got some drop in the nice homes.
          meanwhile in another market I'm selling a home in, prices seem to stabileyes then maybe picked up a bit. but it's not a typical market.

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
            My concern is that the current "supply" isn't accurate because of

1. The large number of foreclosed homes that are not currently on the market
            2. The large number of homes that are being rented instead of sold because they are upside-down

So even if the market ticks up, the dormant supply will gradually be activated, which will help keep the market flat or reduce the growth rates for a very long time. I'm no economist so someone can correct me if I'm off base here.
            I think you and Cowboy are right. Cowboy's point about people being shackled with their homes and being unable to move up is especially true. Not only can they not move up, they can't even move to a new location for a better job opportunity without short selling. It's a mess.
            Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

I think things must have picked up in St. George. I have made offers on three houses now and haven't go an acceptance on any of them.

Maybe sellers are starting to feel more confident or the banks aren't under any pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                I think you and Cowboy are right. Cowboy's point about people being shackled with their homes and being unable to move up is especially true. Not only can they not move up, they can't even move to a new location for a better job opportunity without short selling. It's a mess.
                I fit this to a T
                "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

I've got my home on the market. We've had one showing in a month, for a nice house in a very nice neighborhood. We have foreclosures on our street dragging local comps down, and will only be able to sell for a big loss. This hurts, because we thought the market was near the bottom when we bought.

We met with a property management group today, as we will probably have to rent it out. Surprisingly, rent is pretty high in my neighborhood. Supposedly a lot of folks who were foreclose upon or short sold and now have so-so credit are flooding the rental market as prospective tenants.
                  "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

We bought at a horrible time and when we plan on selling here in the next 2 years or so, we will be hosed.

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                      I thought our market was looking up, but we just got an appraisal back for a refinance and it came back as the same as when we bought it two and a half years ago, before we did major renovations. I don't understand it.
                      Yours may be a "Maryland sucks" issue more than anything else.
                      "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                        I've got my home on the market. We've had one showing in a month, for a nice house in a very nice neighborhood. We have foreclosures on our street dragging local comps down, and will only be able to sell for a big loss. This hurts, because we thought the market was near the bottom when we bought.

We met with a property management group today, as we will probably have to rent it out. Surprisingly, rent is pretty high in my neighborhood. Supposedly a lot of folks who were foreclose upon or short sold and now have so-so credit are flooding the rental market as prospective tenants.
                        Down in Las Vegas, it costs a lot more to rent than it does to buy. Many people would rather stay in a home worth $200k when they owe $500k (this isn't that uncommon down there right now) if they can get a loan modification that puts their interest rate at 2.5%, the rent is more than the modified loan payment.
                        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

We rented out our house last summer and have a property manager. We had about a dozen showings in a week and had someone signed to a lease within 10 days of listing. We were lucky enough to get them on a 3 year lease because it will take well in excess of 3 years for us to sell at an acceptable loss.

At least where we were, nice rental homes in nicer neighborhoods are in relatively short supply, so it's not too hard to find someone. The property management did all of the background checking, listing, showing, etc. which also helped the process along in finding a suitable tenant.

Comment

A couple miles up I-94 from you we have friends who it took a grand total of one week to rent their house for a 4 year lease (two medical residents) at about $150 more than their total expense (mortgage + insurance + taxes). at the end of the 4 years they plan to sell (they will no longer be underwater). This is a good time to rent your house.
                            "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
                              A couple miles up I-94 from you we have friends who it took a grand total of one week to rent their house for a 4 year lease (two medical residents) at about $150 more than their total expense (mortgage + insurance + taxes). at the end of the 4 years they plan to sell (they will no longer be underwater). This is a good time to rent your house.
                              We definitely don't get as much in rent as our mortgage payment, but it is roughly what we pay for housing here, so it's cost-neutral from that standpoint.

Comment

Working...
                              X