Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. Encyclopaedia Britannica

244 years. 2010 is the last edition.

Last print edition, or last edition ever?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Viking View Post
      244 years. 2010 is the last edition.
      Killed by the Internet.

I hope Al Gore is happy tonight. Maybe he's getting a massage.
      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Before I knew what plagiarism was, I lifted the World Book Encyclopedia's entry on Richard Nixon for my 4th grade President report. I'm not sure exactly how I ended up with Richard Nixon. The kids got to choose by alphabetical order and lucky bastards with names staring with A and B got Abraham Lincoln and George Washington. By the time it got to me, the pickings were slim (there were only 40 presidents at the time and my class had about 30 students).
        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

I'm surprised they have lasted this long.

Our main reference books for reports in grade school in the 80s were my mom's old World Book Encyclopedias from the 60s. Nothing like doing a report on the solar system using a book that was published before we landed on the moon.

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
            I'm surprised they have lasted this long.

Our main reference books for reports in grade school in the 80s were my mom's old World Book Encyclopedias from the 60s. Nothing like doing a report on the solar system using a book that was published before we landed on the moon.
            Too intellectual. We had Golden Book Encyclopedias that were purchased volume by volume at Safeway. "This month, Safeway shoppers, L-M!!!"

Comment

We were too poor for the E.B. and had the cheap world book's instead.

When I was 11, I read the entire A-Z during a single summer. I loved the write-ups on countries, in particular.

Comment

I used to read the World Books all the time. Interesting when old editions came to the di. Who buys them. Interesting Encarta is no longer online and was the premeir online encyclopedia. I guess Wikipedia did them in. I guess the World Book is still printing.

Comment

When I was 11, I read the entire A-Z during a single summer. I loved the write-ups on countries, in particular.
                  I never read novels as a kid (or as an adult), but I would spend hours upon hours with my face buried in World Books. Every time I heard a name, event, or "thing" I was unaware of, I would look it up immediately. I went through a phase where I was obsessed with the origin of every fruit. I loved World Books.

Comment

Borges is weeping in heaven.
                    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Leroy died? When? How? I hope the police are questioning Bugs.

Comment

I loved those books!
                        what I am is what I am and I does what I does.

Comment

I used to spend lazy summer days in the old World Book... particularly the Atlas studying the topography of the Moon.

Wow. Now that I type that out, that kind of explains a lot.
                          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                            I used to spend lazy summer days in the old World Book... particularly the Atlas studying the topography of the Moon.

Wow. Now that I type that out, that kind of explains a lot.
                            Same here. Interesting what cultural touchstones define different generations. Was this a Mormon thing?

Comment

I got called "Encyclopedia Brown" in 4th and 5th grade because my teachers would often send me to the library to read by myself. Apparently, a bored Mac distracts other people who are still working on their assignments.
                              "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Working...
                              X