Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $1,000,000 Doesn't Go As Far As It Used To

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/07/us/mic...html?hpt=hp_c2

If Obama would stop the class warfare against the rich with the higher tax rates, maybe she could finally come off of welfare.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

This will be the rallying cry for conservatives and the cite for making children go hungry as they cut food assistance.
    A Mormon president could make a perfectly patriotic, competent, inspiring leader. But not Mitt Romney. He is a husked void. --David Javerbaum

Comment

The state can actually go after her for wrongfully received benefits. Usually, the amounts are so small that they rarely do.
      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by The Rambam View Post
        This will be the rallying cry for conservatives and the cite for making children go hungry as they cut food assistance.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

After taking a lump sum and paying taxes, the unemployed woman said she ended up with just more than $500,000.

Asked if she had the right to the public assistance money, Clayton answered, "I kind of do. I have no income, and I have bills to pay. I have two houses."
          Zorn said the state House has passed bills on the matter. One would require a state agency to conduct an assets test if a citizen wins more than $1,000 in lottery earnings. "That will trigger whether or not the people are eligible to receive public assistance."

The legislature has not approved any final measures.

Clayton told WDIV she had wanted to continue using a food-assistance card until it is cut off. "It's hard. I am struggling."
          CUF should take up a collection to help this poor victim of the government out.
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by The Rambam View Post
            Do you think anyone goes hungry in this country as a consequence of the lack of availability of social safety net programs?
            Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
            -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
            -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

I think this story highlights a fundamental problem with many of the nation's lower-to-middle income homes: they simply don't know how to utilize their money. She gets $500,000 after taxes and in the space of several months allegedly still doesn't have enough money for food because she locked her money up in a house and left herself completely illiquid.
              Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                I think this story highlights a fundamental problem with many of the nation's lower-to-middle income homes: they simply don't know how to utilize their money. She gets $500,000 after taxes and in the space of several months allegedly still doesn't have enough money for food because she locked her money up in a house and left herself completely illiquid.
                2 houses.

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                  I read a George Will column this sunday where he said something along the lines: "it is impossible for the government to redistribute the nurturing normally required to equip folks with the skills neccesary to compete in the real world."

I am not sure cyclical poverty can be fixed. There will always be a need for social spending on a basic subsistence lifestyle for a certain portion of society. I don't think fair has anything to do with it but it will always be neccesary. In some ways I find that the economic islands that many inner cities are becoming are not a whole lot different than what the Limey's tried to accomplish with Australia and Georgia.

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                  -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                    Do you think anyone goes hungry in this country as a consequence of the lack of availability of social safety net programs?
                    The mentally ill.
                    "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

"So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

Comment

Originally posted by doctorcoug View Post
                      The mentally ill.
                      Good then they can die of starvation and decrease the surplus population!

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                        I read a George Will column this sunday where he said something along the lines: "it is impossible for the government to redistribute the nurturing normally required to equip folks with the skills neccesary to compete in the real world."

I am not sure cyclical poverty can be fixed. There will always be a need for social spending on a basic subsistence lifestyle for a certain portion of society. I don't think fair has anything to do with it but it will always be neccesary. In some ways I find that the economic islands that many inner cities are becoming are not a whole lot different than what the Limey's tried to accomplish with Australia and Georgia.
                        Poverty comes from lack of education and basic social habits. Time and again people in poverty win big lottery jackpots only to be bankrupt in a matter of years. One guy in Houston a while back won a couple hundred thousand dollars. In a matter of weeks he had blown through most of it as he purchased cars/vans for the church to which he belonged, threw a big party, and other non-investment type expenditures. I have no answer really to curing poverty. I'm not sure there is a cure, like napper said above.

I was once very poor, as a college student, but I never felt poor because I was in grad school and had great opportuniites on the horizon. I also understood money, investing, taxes, etc. and felt equipped to handle all of that and more. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to grow up poor in a social environment where there is little hope of ever being anything other than poor. For some groups it has been implanted in their social environment that you will just be poor adn that cycle is too hard to break. A kid who grows up on food stamps likely won't learn important social-economic principles at a young age that are necessary to support him/herself later in life.

Several years ago there was a poll on CB asking what would happen if the worlds resources were all divided up equally among all people. The majority of votes went to the answer that read something like "the rich would be rich again and the poor would be poor again within 5 years" and the consensus was that this was the reason why Obama's policies of spreading the wealth would never work. While I semi-agree with that conclusion, I think the poll better illustrates that real capital and equity is not money, but an understanding of the social-economic principles of the world. Based on this I think there are two obvious options: (1) educate people better, especially inner-city kids or (2) change the social-economic principles.
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by doctorcoug View Post
                          The mentally ill.
                          Don't the mentally ill have it better now than they ever have, though?

Not saying there's no room for improvement, but they're not an afterthought either.
                          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                            Don't the mentally ill have it better now than they ever have, though?

Not saying there's no room for improvement, but they're not an afterthought either.
                            I dunno... Skid Row looks just as depressing today as it did when we first moved to Los Angeles.

Comment

Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                              I dunno... Skid Row looks just as depressing today as it did when we first moved to Los Angeles.
                              He had a heart of stone..........just barely out of school, came from the edge of town fought like a switchblade so no-one could take him down, yeah!

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Working...
                              X