X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious as to how people react

to this on this site:

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=4617527

I realize things are so deep here that this might be a yawner for CUF to discuss.

Before I clicked on your post, I knew it would be about either the Honor Code or the "true fan" concept.

Yawn.

Comment

Same. I have no problem with Popcorn Popping. It's a silly college tradition just like countless others at schools across the country. Some people get uncomfortable because this particular tradition comes from our school's religious connection. It doesn't bother me.
      "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Before I can focus on the topic at hand, I need to know...

Were there fifteen of you or sixteen?

Comment

I cringe a little when they start up with the popcorn popping, but I tolerate it. I like the positive naive energy vibe the youth of the church have going. It's endearing.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
            Before I clicked on your post, I knew it would be about either the Honor Code or the "true fan" concept.

Yawn.

Your opinion, yawn.

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
              Same. I have no problem with Popcorn Popping. It's a silly college tradition just like countless others at schools across the country. Some people get uncomfortable because this particular tradition comes from our school's religious connection. It doesn't bother me.
              It is not so much the religious connection for me, it is the child connection. Maybe naive innocence is what we should project, but it just ain't football to me. Maybe girls gymnastics.

Comment

Originally posted by beelzebabette View Post
                Before I can focus on the topic at hand, I need to know...

Were there fifteen of you or sixteen?
                There were probably about 28 or 27 counting the folks in the dining area. There was one guy older than I am and I vascillate back and forth on whether I should count him.

Comment

I think it's silly, but there's a broad spectrum of silly to steely tradition that's acceptable at a football game in my opinion. (Just don't let word get back to littlerich.)

If I were to rank things as I'd like to see them phased out of support wagon:
                  1) Cheerleader's "Go Big Blue" signs
                  2) Piping the band through the loud speakers
                  3) 3rd-4th quarter break videos, if they can't make them less embarrassing
                  4) The Nuskin, et all commercials during the commercial break--didn't I pay for a ticket to not have my game-viewing experience interrupted by too loud commercials?
                  5) Darth Vader march
                  6) Symphonic half-time shows
                  7) Popcorn Popping

Things that are probably lame but totally fine with me:
                  1) UVHBC's Cougar House recognition
                  2) Cosmo's costumes
                  3) The goofy fan contests such as "Our Fans Are Fatter than Your Fans" (aka Dreyer's Cougar Craze/Ute Blitz contest) or the race cars for the loudest section on the big screen

I'm indifferent on the Deseret Duel pimping if it brings in good revenue.

Comment

There is a segment of the people at the football game that are there partially for the experience as a BYU/UVU student and there are others that are there simply because it is something to do and everyone else is there so, why not?

Popcorn popping appeals to the people that are there for an experience not for a football game. Just my opinion.
                    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
                      Popcorn popping appeals to the people that are there for an experience not for a football game. Just my opinion.
                      Oh, I forgot Turkey in the Straw. Put that in at #8.

Comment

My opinion is in line with most. I would not participate myself, and I think it is a little silly, but it doesn't really bother me. The only thing that bothers me about it is that it makes an easy target to make fun of.

I think the Darth Vader thing is more stupid. At least Popcorn Popping is unique to the school.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                          to this on this site:

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=4617527

I realize things are so deep here that this might be a yawner for CUF to discuss.
                          Popcorn Popping is such a great tradition that it won't be long before Urban Meyer steals it.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                            My opinion is in line with most. I would not participate myself, and I think it is a little silly, but it doesn't really bother me. The only thing that bothers me about it is that it makes an easy target to make fun of.

I think the Darth Vader thing is more stupid. At least Popcorn Popping is unique to the school.
                            Basically you are right. It is the one argument I get into with my pals at USU and Utah and quite frankly most folks in the state who aren't BYU fans. BYU fans are not stereotypical.

I shouldn't let it bother me, but I hate arguing I am a BYU fan but not like what a lot of people think a BYU fan is.

Sorry Indy and Lingo, but you are a nerds. I don't want to be perceived that way. I am sure you don't want to be perceived the way I am. The tent is big enough for both.

However, you both are allowed to act like primary children during football games and I am not allowed to act like an over the top football fan. It isn't fair.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                              Basically you are right. It is the one argument I get into with my pals at USU and Utah and quite frankly most folks in the state who aren't BYU fans. BYU fans are not stereotypical.

I shouldn't let it bother me, but I hate arguing I am a BYU fan but not like what a lot of people think a BYU fan is.

Sorry Indy and Lingo, but you are a nerds. I don't want to be perceived that way. I am sure you don't want to be perceived the way I am. The tent is big enough for both.

However, you both are allowed to act like primary children during football games and I am not allowed to act like an over the top football fan. It isn't fair.

No wonder you hate Popcorn Popping if it is the #1 source of contention between you and non-BYU fans.

Comment

Working...
                              X