Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Utah going after the Winter Olympics once again......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utah going after the Winter Olympics once again......

Governor Herbert is making a push for Utah to bring back the Winter Olympics in either 2022 or 2026.
    *Banned*

Maybe I can get on one of the many infrastructure jobs that are sure to come!
    I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

They need to be more careful about paying off IOC officials and selecting prostitutes who can keep their damn mouths shut this time around.
      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
        They need to be more careful about paying off IOC officials and selecting prostitutes who can keep their damn mouths shut this time around.
        That closes out a valuable line of service.
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
          Governor Herbert is making a push for Utah to bring back the Winter Olympics in either 2022 or 2026.
          At least Mitt will have a job if he loses the election...
          "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
            At least Mitt will have a job if he loses the election...
            He can volunteer to help direct traffic at crowded events.
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

As cool as that would be, I just can't see it happening. A city hosting an olympics only 20 years apart? It has happened before (St. Moritz in '28 and '48), but times are different now. Innsbruck hosted twice in 12 years ('64 and '76) but that was only because Denver backed out in '76 and Innsbruck stepped up as a quick replacement.

I'd say Denver and Reno/Tahoe have a better shot to be the US candidate. I definitely think Utah will host again at some point, but maybe not until 2042 (that seems so weird to type....) at the earliest.

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                As cool as that would be, I just can't see it happening. A city hosting an olympics only 20 years apart? It has happened before (St. Moritz in '28 and '48), but times are different now. Innsbruck hosted twice in 12 years ('64 and '76) but that was only because Denver backed out in '76 and Innsbruck stepped up as a quick replacement.

I'd say Denver and Reno/Tahoe have a better shot to be the US candidate. I definitely think Utah will host again at some point, but maybe not until 2042 (that seems so weird to type....) at the earliest.
                I thought there was some movement a while back to have a handful of cities rotate the winter games due to the costs of updating facilities etc...specific to the winter games. Did that ever happen?
                "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
                  I thought there was some movement a while back to have a handful of cities rotate the winter games due to the costs of updating facilities etc...specific to the winter games. Did that ever happen?
                  Never heard that. It makes some amount of sense. There really aren't a ton of cities in the world that are close to world class winter sports and large enough to host an international event of this nature.

I find it kind of sad that we will have 2 winter olympics in a row where the host city doesn't even get snow. We all know how crappy Vancouver is, and now Sochi (even though it is in Russia!) has an average high temperature of 55 degrees in February. There are freaking palm trees in Sochi. That isn't right.

Comment

Herbert is a legit name for a governor. I had no idea Utah had such a good gubernatorial name leading the way. Go SLC Olympics of some future year!
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

Comment

You are right. Times are different now. We are in the midst of the great recession.

Having viable infrastructure already in place and a way to pull off the games without exobitant expense may well be a big factor.

Reno/Tahoe? I sure hope if it goes there they call it the Lake Tahoe games and do as little as possible in Reno. Reno is a dump and would be embarrassing.

Comment

Never heard that. It makes some amount of sense. There really aren't a ton of cities in the world that are close to world class winter sports and large enough to host an international event of this nature.

I find it kind of sad that we will have 2 winter olympics in a row where the host city doesn't even get snow. We all know how crappy Vancouver is, and now Sochi (even though it is in Russia!) has an average high temperature of 55 degrees in February. There are freaking palm trees in Sochi. That isn't right.
                        I gather there is also some concern with Sochi regarding civil unrest and/or terrorism?

It's a terrible choice. Who the hell thought that was a good idea? If you have palm trees, you should not be eligible. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
                          Reno/Tahoe? I sure hope if it goes there they call it the Lake Tahoe games and do as little as possible in Reno. Reno is a dump and would be embarrassing.
                          Reno's not that bad. But its tiny.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                            Several of the resorts around Tahoe were considering shutting down this season due to lack of snow. Not sure if it happened.
                            "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                              Tiny? About the same metro population as Nagano and Sochi...

Before Nagano, Olympic host cities were REALLY tiny. Lake Placid, Squaw Valley, St. Moritz......

Comment

Working...
                              X