• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death Sentence for Home Invasion Killer

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/27/justic...html?hpt=hp_t1
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

That is some pretty horrific stuff to do...

The man convicted of being Komisarjevsky's accomplice, Steven Hayes, was sentenced to death in 2010. Juries convicted the pair on charges that they beat and tied up Dr. William Petit Jr., raped and strangled his wife, molested one of their daughters and set the house on fire before trying to flee

Petit is the sole survivor of the attack that killed his wife and two daughters
    Does this provide any mitigating leniency in your mind?

Komisarjevsky's attorneys had asked for leniency, arguing that he had no prior history of violence, was abused as a child and had been committed to a mental hospital for depression.
    Last edited by Sullyute; 01-27-2012, 11:58 AM. Reason: add extra quote
    "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

Good. I was living and working about 15 miles away when that happened. It was absolutely horrific.

I am usually agains the death penalty, but I hope they will put that dog down before too long. The crime was that heinous.

Comment

Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
        That is some pretty horrific stuff to do...
        I agree.

I'll admit that I have some doubts about the death penalty - as far as wanting to be sure that the guy is truly guilty, etc. It is frustrating how much it costs due to all of the appeals - and the fact that nothing happens quickly once you get to that point (with reason, I suppose).

But in those instances that criminals are caught in the act with evidence that cannot be refuted and there truly is no reasonable doubt as to what they've done, I don't have a problem with it.

And I don't buy the "I didn't dump out gas or start the fire" line, either. Once you've invaded someone's home and tied them up, you get to accept some responsibility for whatever idiocy your accomplice comes up with. Stop him or suffer the consequences.

Comment

I'm becoming pretty liberal in my social views, but I have no issue at all with death penalty in a case like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
            Does this provide any mitigating leniency in your mind?
            I think that at a certain point you have to accept some responsibility for your actions. So you were abused as a child. OK. So were a whole lot of other people who managed to not burn down a home with a woman and her two daughters in it.

I'm not sure what depression has to do with it. Depression in adolescents tends to come out looking like anger, so I could see that. He isn't an adolescent. If he was truly depressed he'd be trying to kill himself and not someone else.

And I'm not sure I care about no prior history. I'm mean, I'm glad he had never participated in killing someone prior to that incident. But what does he want, some kind of ribbon?

Maybe I would cool off some with time - but the reality is that I think there are some things that you can't come back from. Once you cross certain lines there is no redemption for you in this life - you've hurt people too badly to ever be trusted again.

Comment

Working...
            X