Utah in the General Election with Newt as the Nominee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utah in the General Election with Newt as the Nominee

As it now looks like there is a very real chance that the Republicans will nominate Newt, I was thinking yesterday about what Utah would do in the general election if that happens. I don't think for a minute that Obama would actually win the state, but you would have an interesting situation. Many Utahns would take the loss of Romney very personally, feeling that this is a rejection of their religion by the nation's Republicans. Then there are the moral issues. Of course, we have a great capability to forgive those on our own "team" when they do things things that would otherwise provoke strong condemnation. But I think there are many in Utah that will not easily vote for a man of Newt's failings, especially after what he has done to a favored son.

Here are Utah's results over the last few Presidential elections.

R: 62%
    D: 34%
    Other: 4%

R: 72%
    D: 26%
    Other: 2%

R: 67%
    D: 26%
    Other: 7% (mostly Nader, some Buchanan)

R: 54%
    D: 33%
    Other: 12% (Mostly Perot)

R: 43%
    D: 25%
    Other: 32% (27% for Perot, 4% for Bo Gritz)

R: 53%
    D: 46%
    Other: 1%

I was a bit surprised to be reminded that Utah was competitive as recently as 1988, though the last time Utah voted for the Dems was in 1964.

I think if Newt wins you could see a 1992-like result, where a third party picks up a large amount of votes, especially if someone like Paul runs. There is also a chance that this could reverse Utah's 40 year trend of becoming more and more Republican. I don't really know how this would work though, as there are a whole lot of folks like IPU who wouldn't be very happy with the Republicans, but aren't about to go over to the Dems.

Newt will singlehandedly kill the current republican house majority, just as he did in 1996.

Comment

I would love to see Utah turn blue if Newt is the nominee.

And this year Utah has 6 electoral votes. Boom b****es!

Comment

A ham sandwich could carry Utah if there was an (R) next to it on the ballot.
        "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
        "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
        "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
          I would love to see Utah turn blue if Newt is the nominee.

And this year Utah has 6 electoral votes. Boom b****es!
          I could see Newt getting the nomination, getting exposed for the weasel he is and sunk by a surging economy and having Utah be the only Red state on the map on election day. That would be embarrassing.
          "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
          "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
          "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

National politics in Utah are such a bore. Two things are certain:

The republican will win the state.
            The state's electoral votes won't matter.

Hooray. Rock the vote.
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DU Ute View Post
              I could see Newt getting the nomination, getting exposed for the weasel he is and sunk by a surging economy and having Utah be the only Red state on the map on election day. That would be embarrassing.
              Absolutely. Think about Obama's team licking their chops about the huge variety of highly effective anti-Gingrich ads they could run.

I would expect a Reagan-Mondale 1984 type blowout if Newt is the nominee, Newt would maybe pick up Texas, Oklahoma, Utah and that's about it.

That said, although Mitt blew his chance for an early-round knockout punch in South Carolina I still think his chance at the nomination is excellent.

Comment

Working...
              X