X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utah Snow Drivers in Bountiful

[YOUTUBE]xrJuigh2aCc[/YOUTUBE]
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

That's insane
    "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
    "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
    "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

Nice of those guys to just videotape the whole thing instead of going to the end of the street and telling people to stay off the road. That's the type of road that the police just need to shut down.

At least they would yell at people when they had a sliding car heading straight at them. Glad nobody was killed.

Comment

Half of those cars are bombing down the road while it is snowing. Brilliant. That one pickup truck looked like it was going around 35mph. Crazy.

The road itself looks fairly benign. Not steep. I wonder why it is such a hazard.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          Half of those cars are bombing down the road while it is snowing. Brilliant. That one pickup truck looked like it was going around 35mph. Crazy.

The road itself looks fairly benign. Not steep. I wonder why it is such a hazard.
          There was a lot of rain and slush early in the day yesterday and then the temperature dropped and everything froze and lighter snow fell on top of it. Bad combination.

That's the kind of road that only awesome snow tires or chains can save you from. 4WD means nothing on a road like that.

Comment

I think people forget that 4wd doesn't really mean jack when you are trying to brake.

I now have to de-ice or driveway before church or else we will probably crash at the bottom of it. I told my wife that we might be better off staying at home instead of risking the driveway. She didn't buy it.

sigpic

Comment

I think people forget that 4wd doesn't really mean jack when you are trying to brake.

I now have to de-ice or driveway before church or else we will probably crash at the bottom of it. I told my wife that we might be better off staying at home instead of risking the driveway. She didn't buy it.
              Yeah, I thought of that. The problem is that my dish isn't working yet either and when I get out to de-ice that my motivation will become clear.

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                Nice of those guys to just videotape the whole thing instead of going to the end of the street and telling people to stay off the road. That's the type of road that the police just need to shut down.

At least they would yell at people when they had a sliding car heading straight at them. Glad nobody was killed.
                According to the comments police were at the top of the hill stopping people who would then just go down a side street to get around them.

Comment

Thats nothing

[YOUTUBE]rhZCyQ3emQg[/YOUTUBE]

How do you embed????
                  Last edited by UtahDan; 01-22-2012, 09:24 AM.

Comment

The road in that video looks pretty dang steep. I don't know exactly where that road is without googling, but some of those roads coming down from the Bountiful temple are insanely steep.
                    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                      The road in that video looks pretty dang steep. I don't know exactly where that road is without googling, but some of those roads coming down from the Bountiful temple are insanely steep.
                      Yeah, it looks steep to me.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Looks steep to me too. But there is a lot of overconfidence on display there. Where I live now people are too timid in the snow. But I definitely recall in Utah there being a slice of the population who think the laws of physics don't apply to SUVs and pickups.

The other thing we get here that you rarely see in Utah is a sheet of ice. By itself, on top of snow or even under the snow. There is simply is nothing you can do on ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          Yeah, it looks steep to me.
                          that's one of the flatter parts of 400n. it is very, very steep. it doesn't take much for it to be pretty scary on the way down, and if you start sliding there's not really anywhere to go but into a curb. i'm not sure why anyone would go down from the temple that way. there are other less steep options.

what i don't understand is how people who presumably have experience driving in the snow still think the right thing to do is stand on the brakes and lose complete control.
                          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by camleish View Post
                            what i don't understand is how people who presumably have experience driving in the snow still think the right thing to do is stand on the brakes and lose complete control.
                            Right, with one of the cars doing a 360 you can hear what sounds like a teenage girl screaming so maybe it's her first time in the snow.

I did an accidental 360 spin down a hill up like that in a pickup truck when I was 16. Very lucky that the road was empty and I recovered and just kept going.

I went home and my dad and I loaded up the back of the truck with weight and he reminded me about turning into the spin, tapping the brake, etc. Most cars these days have anti-lock brakes, so it was interesting how so many of those drivers lost control completely.

Makes me nervous about my kids driving in a few years.

Comment

Really? What am I missing? It looks almost flat to me. If it were steep wouldn't people keep sliding to the bottom? Everyone lost control and also came to a stop on the same stretch. The problem seemed to be the speed and then turning and braking on ice.

I agree about many roads in bountiful basically being downhill slaloms.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X