• Show
Clear All

• Utah HS Can't Be Called Cougars

This is embarrassing.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...161402778.html
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Don't you think that the given justification is probably just a pretext? Seems more likely that there are a couple of Utes on the board, and that they didn't like the implications of the mascot and color scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
      Don't you think that the given justification is probably just a pretext? Seems more likely that there are a couple of Utes on the board, and that they didn't like the implications of the mascot and color scheme.
      I hope so.
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

Hmmmm, maybe they should make Kearns High School change their mascot from Cougars.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
          I hope so.
          I checked and it's in the board records. They said they were flooded with emails and were concerned about a mascot that might "cause division or dissent." As far as I can tell, they never even mentioned the sexual connotation of cougar.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
            Hmmmm, maybe they should make Kearns High School change their mascot from Cougars.
            Union High School as well.

Comment

Wow, pretty embarrassing move from my hometown. The chargers? I can personally affirm of the strong presence of both types of cougars in Draper and think its the only option for a mascot frankly.

Comment

who cares about offending middle-aged women?
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Holy Shit @ the concept drawing of the school.

WTF is it that the Draperites are getting fancy looking schools like that while the rest of the state gets buildings that look like a mix of low-end shopping malls and minimum security prisons?

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                    who cares about offending middle-aged women?
                    Anybody that comes in regular contact with the mothers of teenagers? I think offending perimenopausal women is one of those mistakes you only make once.

Comment

My elementary and middle school mascot was the Cougar.
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
                        Holy Shit @ the concept drawing of the school.

WTF is it that the Draperites are getting fancy looking schools like that while the rest of the state gets buildings that look like a mix of low-end shopping malls and minimum security prisons?
                        I'll bet it ends up looking just as lame as the rest of the schools. Also, it doesn't appear to be located as near to Corner Canyon as the picture makes it look.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I went to an elementary school in Norman where the mascot was the Cowboys. They said they chose the name for its alliterative value only, which might have been convincing were the colors not orange and white. By the time I was in high school both the mascot and the colors had been changed.

Comment

My elementary school was the Hooters. Oh yeah!

Hooray for the Hidden Valley Hooters. No wonder they changed it eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                              My elementary school was the Hooters. Oh yeah!

Hooray for the Hidden Valley Hooters. No wonder they changed it eventually.
                              Weren't they worried about offending flat-chested women?
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                              X