Odd bedfellows - Romney / Paul dynamic is going to be key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd bedfellows - Romney / Paul dynamic is going to be key

I am interested to see this develop. Let's begin with the premise that Paul is unlikely to make a third party bid - his son's future might depend on him not doing it, and his son has come out very strongly saying it's a bad idea.

That said Paul will now be looking at Santorum to one side of him and Romney to the other.

Santorum is like an inversion of Paul - big spender and keen to be in on pretty much every overseas fracas he can get. Rampant interventionist nation builder and a social engineer at home.

Meanwhile, Romney has fiscal bonafides that have attracted major libertarian donors like Scott McNealy, the Silicon Valley icon and founder of Sun Microsystems who is adamantly in Romney's camp. Romney also advocates a more careful foreign policy than Santorum.

If Paul is looking at a lesser of two evils and knows that he can't win - and he does know that - he would be smart to train his fire on Santorum.

No guarantees that he will - he's got just enough crazy in him that he might open guns in both directions - but I think the factors cited above will tilt him toward the attack on Santorum - which will give him a platform to wage war against what he views as the very worst tendencies of the GOP.

In an interesting way it actually creates an opportunity for Paul to do more with this campaign than he ever envisioned and to do what he really wants - exposure for his priority issues, a platform for his argument and to mainline more of his own views into the Republican base. Santorum's presence gives him someone to train fire on while maintaining his campaign but without damaging the presumptive nominee.

Stay tuned - I'm gonna see if we can get Nadine Wimmer on this storyline.
    Last edited by oxcoug; 01-04-2012, 06:58 PM.
    Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Paul seems to go strong after people who've pissed him off, namely Newt Gingrich. It's really the only time he's gone after anyone and he did it in a big way. For the most part he doesn't seem to realize that there are other people also running for president.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
      Paul seems to go strong after people who've pissed him off, namely Newt Gingrich. It's really the only time he's gone after anyone and he did it in a big way. For the most part he doesn't seem to realize that there are other people also running for president.
      I don't know that Paul has ever really considered himself presidential material. I think he's trying to bolster libertarian values in a wayward Republican party.
      Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
      God forgives many things for an act of mercy
      Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Didn't he do okay with Evangelicals? I would think if he's trying to peel off some votes from a candidate, Santorum voters would be much more peelable.
        Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
          I don't know that Paul has ever really considered himself presidential material. I think he's trying to bolster libertarian values in a wayward Republican party.
          Yeah this is def the case - just a few days ago Paul was asked if he actually sees himself in the White House and he said "not really."

He wants to make the case - and Santorum is actually the perfect contrast / punching bag for him to make it. Going after Santorum for him can be like the libertarian version Bernstein Bears - "let this be a lesson to you, this is what you should not do...."

I think that Paul maintaining a strong position in the race is going to be key to Romney beating down Santorum without getting too dirty (he'll have to get at least a little dirty).
          Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

Comment

Originally posted by oxcoug View Post
            I am interested to see this develop. Let's begin with the premise that Paul is unlikely to make a third party bid - his son's future might depend on him not doing it, and his son has come out very strongly saying it's a bad idea.

That said Paul will now be looking at Santorum to one side of him and Romney to the other.

Santorum is like an inversion of Paul - big spender and keen to be in on pretty much every overseas fracas he can get. Rampant interventionist nation builder and a social engineer at home.

Meanwhile, Romney has fiscal bonafides that have attracted major libertarian donors like Scott McNealy, the Silicon Valley icon and founder of Sun Microsystems who is adamantly in Romney's camp. Romney also advocates a more careful foreign policy than Santorum.

If Paul is looking at a lesser of two evils and knows that the can't win he would be smart to train his fire on Santorum.

No guarantees that he will - he's got just enough crazy in him that he might open guns in both directions - but I think the factors cited above will tilt him toward the attack on Santorum - which will give him a platform to wage war against what he views as the very worst tendencies of the GOP.

In an interesting way it actually creates an opportunity for Paul to do more with this campaign than he ever envisioned and to do what he really wants - exposure for his priority issues, a platform for his argument and to mainline more of his own views into the Republican base. Santorum's presence gives him someone to train fire on while maintaining his campaign but without damaging the presumptive nominee.

Stay tuned - I'm gonna see if we can get Nadine Wimmer on this storyline.
            Even more interesting to me is the kamikaze race Gingrich is apparently going to run against Romney. Gingrich. Always known for class.

Comment

Good post Ox. Romney. is going to need all the help he can get in the next debate with attacks coming from all sides

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                Good post Ox. Romney. is going to need all the help he can get in the next debate with attacks coming from all sides
                A second one to watch - now that he's apparently back - is Perry. How will he handle himself?

Are he and his people wanting Romney to hammer Santorum so that Perry can make a comeback in South Carolina? Is he sitting out the debates?
                Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

Comment

A second one to watch - now that he's apparently back - is Perry. How will he handle himself?

Are he and his people wanting Romney to hammer Santorum so that Perry can make a comeback in South Carolina? Is he sitting out the debates?
                  That's really his only chance. Romney should love Perry right now. Anything that keeps the evangelical vote from consolodating is good for him.

Comment

Yeah this is def the case - just a few days ago Paul was asked if he actually sees himself in the White House and he said "not really."
                    http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0112/71068.html

As for seeing himself in the Oval Office, Paul told “Today” that when he said “not really” earlier this week, his quote had been “taken a bit out of context.”

“I think the quote you’re using was taken a little bit out of context because obviously I’m running on issues, which are very important, but the best way to promote your issues is to win elections,” he said.

Yeah, Romney would be a good running mate for Paul. Do you think he would be happy being the VP?
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Romney should promise Sec of the Treasury to Paul. In exchange he has to attack Gingrich and Santorum. Lol
                      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

Yeah, Romney would be a good running mate for Paul. Do you think he would be happy being the VP?
                        So you've given up on getting rid of Perry?
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                          So you've given up on getting rid of Perry?
                          No, Paul will promise him the secretary of education post only to order him to shut down the department of education and fire himself.
                          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

- Paul might say "taken out of context" - he means "oops, that didn't sound good to my millions of raging supporters."

RP doesn't stand a chance either in a primary or a national but... I think you know this very well.
                            Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

Comment

- Paul might say "taken out of context" - he means "oops, that didn't sound good to my millions of raging supporters."

RP doesn't stand a chance either in a primary or a national but... I think you know this very well.
                              My wife overheard him say it while I was watching Nightline and was pretty turned off by it. It was a really dumb thing to say.

Comment

Working...
                              X