One small step for mankind: Convinced the 'rents to quit FOX "News" tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One small step for mankind: Convinced the 'rents to quit FOX "News" tonight

I was over FOX a long time ago. It's played an important role in American public discourse by opening the infotainment game to right of center discussion. But it's days of monetizing "news" with a parade of boobed-out platinum sylphs via Family Oxcoug are over.

The final straw - for my parents any way - was Murdoch's sickeningly brazen attempt to manipulate the Republican Primary into something longer and more competitive (i.e. more profitable) with his bullshit Twitter endorsement of Santorum.

He Tweeted that Santorum is the "only candidate with a genuine big vision" for the US - never mind what that means (nothing) - Murdoch is a amoral bastard, always has been. I don't believe he agrees w/ Rick Santorum about ANYTHING and he certainly doesn't believe Santorum can win a general election.

But he knows very well that a dogfight of a primary means buckets of $ for his network.

Anyway.... Hannity is in the 60th percentile of human intelligence. He's never had an original thought. O'Reilly is a hack who pervs on teenage girls. I'd get as much out of watching a nightly panel moderated by taekwondave. I could go on, but... my parents are done w/ FOX.

Now on to finding them news alternatives for them- I'm recommending Hugh Hewitt... any other sources for intelligent conservatism?
    Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Originally posted by oxcoug View Post
    I was over FOX a long time ago. It's played an important role in American public discourse by opening the infotainment game to right of center discussion. But it's days of monetizing "news" with a parade of boobed-out platinum sylphs via Family Oxcoug are over.

The final straw - for my parents any way - was Murdoch's sickeningly brazen attempt to manipulate the Republican Primary into something longer and more competitive (i.e. more profitable) with his bullshit Twitter endorsement of Santorum.

He Tweeted that Santorum is the "only candidate with a genuine big vision" for the US - never mind what that means (nothing) - Murdoch is a amoral bastard, always has been. I don't believe he agrees w/ Rick Santorum about ANYTHING and he certainly doesn't believe Santorum can win a general election.

But he knows very well that a dogfight of a primary means buckets of $ for his network.

Anyway.... Hannity is in the 60th percentile of human intelligence. He's never had an original thought. O'Reilly is a hack who pervs on teenage girls. I'd get as much out of watching a nightly panel moderated by taekwondave. I could go on, but... my parents are done w/ FOX.

Now on to finding them news alternatives for them- I'm recommending Hugh Hewitt... any other sources for intelligent conservatism?
    Dennis Prager and Michael Medved are thoughtful, tough-minded conservatives who are eager to hear the other point of view. They're like Hewitt but Jewish in worldview, as opposed to Hugh's Catholic-evangelicalism. Also, Power Line and Instapundit are excellent. And...the Wall Street Journal editorial page is not to be missed. I think you already know about all of these, but just in case....
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Douthat and Brooks, both with the NYT (though your parents should watch Brooks on PBS news) are both great conservatives. I also like David Frum, though he can come across as a bit shillish when it comes to some of the social conservative stuff, which he seems to defends out of a sense of obligation more than convictions (at least that is how it comes across to me). The NPR show Left Right and Center (where I learned about Frum) currently features Tony Blankley as their conservative, and I think he does a better job of representing his POV than Robert Scheer does representing the Left.

If your parents are abandoning Fox news, the PBS news hour is the best news program on television. Brooks represents the Right better than Shields represents the Left, so your conservative parents should enjoy watching Brooks mop up the studio with Shields. Plus, who needs more than an hour of news each day? PBS News Hour is perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
        Douthat and Brooks, both with the NYT (though your parents should watch Brooks on PBS news) are both great conservatives. I also like David Frum, though he can come across as a bit shillish when it comes to some of the social conservative stuff, which he seems to defends out of a sense of obligation more than convictions (at least that is how it comes across to me). The NPR show Left Right and Center (where I learned about Frum) currently features Tony Blankley as their conservative, and I think he does a better job of representing his POV than Robert Scheer does representing the Left.

If your parents are abandoning Fox news, the PBS news hour is the best news program on television. Brooks represents the Right better than Shields represents the Left, so your conservative parents should enjoy watching Brooks mop up the studio with Shields. Plus, who needs more than an hour of news each day? PBS News Hour is perfect.

Good tip on the PBS News Hour. I'll nudge them that way.
        Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

Comment

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
          Dennis Prager and Michael Medved are thoughtful, tough-minded conservatives who are eager to hear the other point of view. They're like Hewitt but Jewish in worldview, as opposed to Hugh's Catholic-evangelicalism. Also, Power Line and Instapundit are excellent. And...the Wall Street Journal editorial page is not to be missed. I think you already know about all of these, but just in case....
          I haven't listened to Medved in a long time, but he was always one of my favorites. Very calm, rational and very knowledgeable.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
            I haven't listened to Medved in a long time, but he was always one of my favorites. Very calm, rational and very knowledgeable.
            Do Medved and Prager have radio shows? My dad needs something to listen to during the day so he can also drop Rush Limbaugh.

I guess podcasts are always an option but he's painfully inept with online content.
            Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

Comment

I don't want to paint with too broad a brush or make inaccurate assumptions about your family, but is there any chance that they are exceptionally butthurt over the endorsement b/c it hurts Romney in Iowa?

I could never stomach FoxNews, but I'm glad they're losing viewers. Maybe they can become more than a political tabloid if their viewers demand more than catchphrases and polemics (wait...I guess that is politics in a nutshell!!!).
              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Special Report with Bret Baier is the best straightforward political analysis program on television, imo. Just make sure they turn it off afterward.

Comment

Originally posted by oxcoug View Post
                  Do Medved and Prager have radio shows? My dad needs something to listen to during the day so he can also drop Rush Limbaugh.

I guess podcasts are always an option but he's painfully inept with online content.
                  They both have radio shows.

http://www.michaelmedved.com/
                  http://www.dennisprager.com/

Comment

I don't know if I would want Murdock's endorsement anyway. He is pretty tainted nowdays.

I am afraid you aren't gong to find many of the talk show folks or media guru's backing Romney. They all want a good long contest to jizz up their ratings.

Some of them of actually giddish over Newts pledge to tear Romney a new one in the upcoming debates.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                      I don't know if I would want Murdock's endorsement anyway. He is pretty tainted nowdays.

I am afraid you aren't gong to find many of the talk show folks or media guru's backing Romney. They all want a good long contest to jizz up their ratings.

Some of them of actually giddish over Newts pledge to tear Romney a new one in the upcoming debates.
                      BYU71,

Do you know what jizz means? I don't think it means what you think it means.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                        BYU71,

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                          BYU71,

Hey it worked for Bill Clinton!
                          "To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail."
                          —Abraham Maslow

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                            giddish over Newts pledge to tear Romney a new one in the upcoming debates.
                            Oi gevalt. I can only think this means they are getting giddy and speaking Yiddish at the same time, which can't be good for anyone.

What with the jizzing as well this has the makings of a real brokeh!
                            Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

Comment

Originally posted by WashingtonCoug View Post
                              Hey it worked for Bill Clinton!
                              The only thing he jizzed up was a chubby intern and a purple dress.

Comment

Working...
                              X