Table top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table top

Our dining table is a 6'x4' oval, which is usually fine, but occasionally we need more space. We like the 4' width that gives us enough space to put food in the middle without too much crowding. We looked around off and on for a couple of years, but never saw anything longer that maintained the width. Most tables we saw were at most 42" wide, and that felt too narrow for us.

Finally, I gave up and decided to just cut a 4' x 8' x 1/2" sheet of birch plywood and lay it on top of the existing table. I put a piece of 2'x2' hardboard in one corner for a template and drew several different tapers for us to compare. We decided on simple round ends like the table we already have. Not having all the spiffy tools (like a huge band saw and a table to pivot the work on) that Norm Abram has, I cut the ends with a jig saw, sanded it, and borrowed a neighbor's router with 1/2" quarter-round bit to give it a rounded edge. We stained it and added several layers of polyurethane. It was pretty cold in the garage, and the polyurethane just didn't flow well, so I'll probably have to sand it again in the summer and give it a final coat to get it smoother. Pretty simple project, maybe even dorky to some, but it's already been very handy over the holidays. We comfortably sat 10 around the table. I thought I'd share, in case anyone else was having the same seating squeeze. It was a lot cheaper than buying a large table, too.

Here are a couple of pics to illustrate.

Here's the table without the new table top. It's comfortable for 6, but a squeeze for 8, and we've had up to 10 around it, which was a challenge.

Between the table and the bigger table top, we put some cheap non-skid shelf liners. They not only protect the table, but also keep the top from sliding around.

And here's the table top itself in place. Not terribly pretty, but it serves its purpose. And it's usually covered by food and plates, anyway. The ends overlap the table by 1' on each end, and give us a lot more space. The 1/2" plywood is strong enough to handle the overlap without bending much, and it's light enough for one person to carry. When not in use, I store it standing along a wall in the garage.

Last edited by mtnbiker; 01-01-2012, 09:13 PM.
Working...
X