PDA

View Full Version : Fiesta Bowl match-ups

scottie
11-30-2008, 02:42 PM
Assuming OU beats Missouri, are these the consensus potential Fiesta Bowl match-ups?:

Texas v. Ohio St.
Texas v. Utah

The Rambam
11-30-2008, 03:41 PM
Assuming OU beats Missouri, are these the consensus potential Fiesta Bowl match-ups?:

Texas v. Ohio St.
Texas v. Utah

If Utah were to blow out Texas in the Fiesta and Oklahoma squeaked by Florida (who had beaten Alabama in the SEC Championship game) in an ugly 14-17 National Championship game, Utah would get a lot of 1st place votes in the polls.

Texas beat Oklahoma on a neutral field. Utah beat Texas on a neutral field. A one loss Oklahoma won barely and ugly against a one loss Florida. Utah is the only undefeated team in BCS.

TCU will beat Boise if they play.

TripletDaddy
11-30-2008, 03:43 PM
If Utah were to blow out Texas in the Fiesta and Oklahoma squeaked by Florida (who had beaten Alabama in the SEC Championship game) in an ugly 14-17 National Championship game, Utah would get a lot of 1st place votes in the polls.

Texas beat Oklahoma on a neutral field. Utah beat Texas on a neutral field. A one loss Oklahoma won barely and ugly against a one loss Florida. Utah is the only undefeated team in BCS.

TCU will beat Boise if they play.

In which polls? The Coaches are obligated to vote the BCS winner as the #1 team.

SeattleUte
11-30-2008, 03:48 PM
Playing Texas would be my freaking ultimate fantasy. I'd be there. I guarantee it. It won't happen because life doesn't get that perfect. Yes, if Utah beat Texas we could go to our graves claiming we were no. 1 in 2008-09.

Babs
11-30-2008, 03:49 PM
In which polls? The Coaches are obligated to vote the BCS winner as the #1 team.

That's right. Utah could conceivably win the AP title, but it would take a lot of self destruction from the top six.

Babs
11-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Yes, if Utah beat Texas

I'd put the Utes' odds at about 15%. Texas is not Oklahoma. The Longhorns have won four bowls in a row.

Jeff Lebowski
11-30-2008, 04:17 PM
Playing Texas would be my freaking ultimate fantasy. I'd be there. I guarantee it. It won't happen because life doesn't get that perfect. Yes, if Utah beat Texas we could go to our graves claiming we were no. 1 in 2008-09.

Texas would kill Utah in football. Kill them.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
11-30-2008, 04:20 PM
If Utah were to blow out Texas in the Fiesta

You lost me after you opened your post with this.

SeattleUte
11-30-2008, 04:25 PM
Should we not want Texas because we're scared? No guts no glory, is what I say. I saw the Utes in the Final Four lead wire to wire what had been all year long the concsensus no. 1 team in the country, loaded with future NBA stars. So I don't care what anyone thinks the Utes' chances would be. This is called, as my friend 3D says, sucking out the marrow of life. I'd rather be Utah playing Texas than BYU or Oregon playing whomever in their little bowls. But your quip was funny, Lebowski.

Jeff Lebowski
11-30-2008, 04:36 PM
But your quip was funny, Lebowski.

I wonder how many people remember that famous post of yours years ago on CB? I think you lead the league in the memorable quote category.

il Padrino Ute
11-30-2008, 04:49 PM
Should we not want Texas because we're scared? No guts no glory, is what I say. I saw the Utes in the Final Four lead wire to wire what had been all year long the concsensus no. 1 team in the country, loaded with future NBA stars. So I don't care what anyone thinks the Utes' chances would be. This is called, as my friend 3D says, sucking out the marrow of life. I'd rather be Utah playing Texas than BYU or Oregon playing whomever in their little bowls. But your quip was funny, Lebowski.

I'm with you. Give the Utes a shot at a team that is supposed to be better than they are. Let's see it happen.

Mormon Red Death
11-30-2008, 05:35 PM

I dont want texas because I want to go to the sugar bowl (easier for me to get to)

RockyBalboa
11-30-2008, 05:57 PM
Oklahoma, Texas, Florida and USC are all very bad matchups for Utah.

Having said that if I were a Utah fan I'd want to play one of them just to see how they measure up.

DrumNFeather
11-30-2008, 05:59 PM
Wasn't this one of the years the Utes were supposed to have a home & home with Texas anyway? The schedule could come full circle.