• 5 Star Players and BYU

Came to BYU:
    Ols*n
    Heaps
    Mohetau

Went elsewhere:
    Te'o
    Ngata

That's what I can think of in recent memory. Any I'm missing? I think Scott Young was a 5 star as well, but out of JUCO.

It's official, God hates us.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
    Came to BYU:
    Ols*n
    Heaps
    Mohetau

Went elsewhere:
    Te'o
    Ngata

That's what I can think of in recent memory. Any I'm missing? I think Scott Young was a 5 star as well, but out of JUCO.

LOL

Maybe our players should start Tebowing....
    Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
    - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
    - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

Came to BYU:
      Ols*n
      Heaps
      Mohetau

Went elsewhere:
      Te'o
      Ngata

Juco 5 stars don't count but yeah...not a great picture
      Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Came to BYU:
        Ols*n
        Heaps
        Mohetau

Went elsewhere:
        Te'o
        Ngata

Wouldn't "went elsewhere" include everybody else? Or is that category just for the ones that strongly considered BYU?

Also, Heaps was a 5-star only on Scout, and Mangum is ranked higher on 2 of the others than Heaps was.

Comment

Originally posted by woot View Post
          Wouldn't "went elsewhere" include everybody else? Or is that category just for the ones that strongly considered BYU?
          Yeah, just the ones that were strongly considering coming here. I could think of Ngata (who committed) and Te'o (who most believed was headed here). Not sure if I'm missing any.

Also, Heaps was a 5-star only on Scout, and Mangum is ranked higher on 2 of the others than Heaps was.
          Really? I know Heaps was a 4-star on Rivals, but he was also their top-rated pro-style QB. What is Mangum rated?

Comment

Came to BYU:
            Ols*n
            Heaps
            Mohetau

Went elsewhere:
            Te'o
            Ngata

Can BYU really take credit (or blame) for losing Haloti Ngata? He was a verbal to Nebraska before decommitting and eventually signing with Oregon. I know he considered BYU when he reopened his recruitment but did he ever verbal?

This is an important discussion point. Losing Ngata is part of the Husker narrative of Nebraska's fall from football glory. Is he also part of BYU's narrative of glory that never was?
            “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
            "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Originally posted by woot View Post

What, no comment on God in all of this?
              "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                Can BYU really take credit (or blame) for losing Haloti Ngata? He was a verbal to Nebraska before decommitting and eventually signing with Oregon. I know he considered BYU when he reopened his recruitment but did he ever verbal?

This is an important discussion point. Losing Ngata is part of the Husker narrative of Nebraska's fall from football glory. Is he also part of BYU's narrative of glory that never was?
                Did Ngata DANCE at Nebraska? Did he? Well? Like what he said even matters! Who cares what a kid SAYS? When he does the dance it is a done deal.
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...y-for-BYU.html

Comment

Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
                    What, no comment on God in all of this?
                    He hates us. See above. The good 5 star players pray and he tells them to go elsewhere. The flop 5 star players pray and he tells them to come here.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                      Did Ngata DANCE at Nebraska? Did he? Well? Like what he said even matters! Who cares what a kid SAYS? When he does the dance it is a done deal.
                      Excellent point. Nebraska has yet to rectify their inability throw a decent Polynesian party. This despite having such All-Americans as Dominic Raiola and Toniu Fonoti. No wonder their Polynesian pipeline has dried up. Nebraska can't throw a decent party to even get anyone to dance.
                      “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                      "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Yeah, just the ones that were strongly considering coming here. I could think of Ngata (who committed) and Te'o (who most believed was headed here). Not sure if I'm missing any.

Really? I know Heaps was a 4-star on Rivals, but he was also their top-rated pro-style QB. What is Mangum rated?
                        I think Mangum is rated higher overall than Heaps on Rivals and ESPN. Mangum is the #2 QB right now. Heaps was #1 QB on rivals, but is ranked lower on the top 100 than heaps. For some reason, Rivals database is down right now for some reason or I would get the exact #'s.
                        "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by The Notorious J.I.C. View Post
                          I think Mangum is rated higher overall than Heaps on Rivals and ESPN. Mangum is the #2 QB right now. Heaps was #1 QB on rivals, but is ranked lower on the top 100 than heaps. For some reason, Rivals database is down right now for some reason or I would get the exact #'s.
                          Looks like he's #2 QB and #42 overall -- that's pretty nice. But his 40 time in their database is slower than Heaps'?

Comment

Looks like he's #2 QB and #42 overall -- that's pretty nice. But his 40 time in their database is slower than Heaps'?
                            I'd be shocked if that were true. I watched the elite camps earlier this year and he appeared to be very quick. He is a drop back passer like Jake which I think should (oh please Lord let it) dispel any rumors that Doman plans on always coaching a spread option attack long term.
                            "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
                              I'd be shocked if that were true. I watched the elite camps earlier this year and he appeared to be very quick. He is a drop back passer like Jake which I think should (oh please Lord let it) dispel any rumors that Doman plans on always coaching a spread option attack long term.
                              I don't know that I would be shocked. I watched Jake quite a few times in HS and he always moved fine.

[YOUTUBE]1zcVRfzETMQ[/YOUTUBE]

At about the minute mark he takes off on a designed run. Obviously it's against HS and he doesn't have the same burst as a guy like Riley, but I don't remember him being half as plodding in HS as he seemed as BYU.

Comment

Working...
                              X