Football in Japan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Football in Japan

I'm sitting here watching what appears to be a couple of Japanese teams playing football on TV. American football, not soccer football. Crazy. I wonder if any Japanese kids have ever played college football in the U.S.

EDIT: OK, I figured out what it is. It's X-League: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-League
    Visca Catalunya Lliure

Didn't BYU play a game against a team of Japanese all stars a number of years back? Crushed them, if I recall correctly.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
      I'm sitting here watching what appears to be a couple of Japanese teams playing football on TV. American football, not soccer football. Crazy. I wonder if any Japanese kids have ever played college football in the U.S.

EDIT: OK, I figured out what it is. It's X-League: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-League
      I may be wrong, but I think when pro teams have went over to Japan for a pre-season game, each team had a player from Japan suit up and get some time. Mainly running down kicks on special teams. I think I remember this happening though.

Not sure if anyone has played college ball that came directly from Japan. Dat Nguyen was the first NFL player that was 100% Asian. Sorry if I didn't say that politically correct.
      "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

It seems like Asians would have a very distinct physical disadvantage in American Football, just based on size.
        "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
          It seems like Asians would have a very distinct physical disadvantage in American Football, just based on size.
          I think there are a few sumo wrestlers who would make very good nose guards and nose tackles. I always thought E.Honda from Street Fighter II would make a great left tackle, with his quick yet powerful hands.
          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
            I may be wrong, but I think when pro teams have went over to Japan for a pre-season game, each team had a player from Japan suit up and get some time. Mainly running down kicks on special teams. I think I remember this happening though.

Not sure if anyone has played college ball that came directly from Japan. Dat Nguyen was the first NFL player that was 100% Asian. Sorry if I didn't say that politically correct.
            I think the PC term is Oriental.
            *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
              I think there are a few sumo wrestlers who would make very good nose guards and nose tackles. I always thought E.Honda from Street Fighter II would make a great left tackle, with his quick yet powerful hands.
              The exception that proves the rule?
              "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post

My HS played a game against a Japanese All Star team every year alternating between Oregon and Japan for the site. It's been going on since the late 80's.

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
                  Didn't BYU play a game against a team of Japanese all stars a number of years back? Crushed them, if I recall correctly.
                  Yes, it was in 1977. I happened to be on my mission at the time and we were tasked to provide translators for them. And they did crush them. by the second qtr they had people playing out of postion (There all wac dt was playing qb) and just taking it easy. I think they outweighed the Japanese team by 60lbs a man.

BYU also came over the next year and played either a bowl game or the last game of the year. (I was home by then)

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post

You are right. The 49ers I believe played in one of these games, I remember watching.

Comment

Working...
                    X