• Show
Clear All

• Top 5 coaches in college football?

1)Peterson
    2)Saban
    3)Meyer
    4)Miles
    5)?

In no particular order: Stoops, Miles, Saban, Meyer, Patterson.

Petersen, Beamer, and Mack Brown are right up there.
    "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
    "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
      In no particular order: Stoops, Miles, Saban, Meyer, Patterson.

Petersen, Beamer, and Mack Brown are right up there.
      I think Peterson gets more out of less than anyone on that list.

I think Saban, Miles,Stoops, Meyer would all look pretty pedestrian with the recruits that Peterson gets to Boise.

You've made me reconsider:

1) Peterson
      2) Patterson
      3) Saban
      4) Meyer
      5) Miles

Peterson and Patterson would do everything that Saban, Meyer or Miles do if they were in the same situations.

Comment

Peterson, Chip Kelly, Miles, Beamer, Stoops, Patterson, Saban, Petrino, Meyer, Mack Brown. That's ten. If I have to cut it to five, I probably put Peterson, Kelly, Miles, Saban and Petrino there.
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
          Peterson, Chip Kelly, Miles, Beamer, Stoops, Patterson, Saban, Petrino, Meyer, Mack Brown. That's ten. If I have to cut it to five, I probably put Peterson, Kelly, Miles, Saban and Petrino there.
          Chip Kelly top 5 ... LOL

Comment

You guys realize just last year Les Miles was on the hot seat right? That he was hated in Baton Rouge for his stupid clock management and substitution patterns?

People were trying to run him out of town. Talent can make even bad coaches look good. See Gary Crowton in 2001.
            *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by Top Ute View Post
              Chip Kelly top 5 ... LOL
              Good point, all he does is recruits well, plays an attacking, up-temp, aggressive, style and wins football games, played in a Nat'l Championship and won his conference championship every year at school where it they have seldom had spectacular success prior to his being the HC.

2 conference championships in 14 years prior to him and three in three years since.

56-32 in the five years prior to him and 32-6 since he took over.

Good point, he doesn't deserve a mention. He's mediocre at best.
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                Good point, all he does is recruits well, plays an attacking, up-temp, aggressive, style and wins football games, played in a Nat'l Championship and won his conference championship every year at school where it they have seldom had spectacular success prior to his being the HC.

2 conference championships in 14 years prior to him and three in three years since.

56-32 in the five years prior to him and 32-6 since he took over.

Good point, he doesn't deserve a mention. He's mediocre at best.
                You put him in company with coaches that have conquered lands outside of their own fiefdom. When Chip wins a Rose Bowl, get back with me.

Comment

You put him in company with coaches that have conquered lands outside of their own fiefdom. When Chip wins a Rose Bowl, get back with me.
                  The question was who are the top 5 coaches in college football? If I were hiring right now and I had my pick, Chip Kelly would be considered in my top 5. You don't have to agree, in fact, the simple fact that you don't agree makes me feel better about his inclusion in my list. Thanks for playing.
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

Comment

I don't get why everyone loves Mack Brown. The guy gets any recruit from Texas he wants, yet he still manages to lose to Oklahoma. I'm not saying he's a moron, just not a top coach IMO.

With all due respect to our Texas delegation, I think UT could do better.
                    "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                    -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

Originally posted by Solon View Post
                      I don't get why everyone loves Mack Brown. The guy gets any recruit from Texas he wants, yet he still manages to lose to Oklahoma. I'm not saying he's a moron, just not a top coach IMO.

I actually agree, I've been disappointed with his coaching in the past 3-4 years.

Most probably disagree, but I find Bob Stoops overrated. They can be strong in the Big 12 and beat Texas quite a bit, but Stoops is a terrible motivator (great recruiter), and they don't show up to some games when they could easily be National Championship contenders (which is why I'm saying he's overrated, the expectation is national championships)

Comment

In 24 years before he arrived, Texas was ranked 13 times. In the 14 years that he has been there they've finished the season ranked 13 times.

In the immediate 10 year period before he arrived, they finished the season ranked 4 times. In his first ten years there, they finished the season ranked 10 times.

He gets any recruit he wants from Texas because he's the coach.
                        I'm like LeBron James.
                        -mpfunk

Comment

I'd want a younger coach if Utah was ever in the market for one in the next 2-3 years, but Mack Brown won big at one program that has never won big otherwise (North Carolina), won a national title at Texas, and may have won two if his stud QB doesn't get hurt in the national title game.

He may be trending downward, but at his best, Mack was one of the best.

Comment

Mack Brown? Les Miles ???

Quoting the bootlegger's boy, who at one time was considered one of the best coaches in the land, befoe he started working for his old college roommate and was considered one of the worst coaches in the land.
                            It's not the X's and the O's, it's the Jimmy and the Joes

Comment

I'd want a younger coach if Utah was ever in the market for one in the next 2-3 years, but Mack Brown won big at one program that has never won big otherwise (North Carolina), won a national title at Texas, and may have won two if his stud QB doesn't get hurt in the national title game.

He may be trending downward, but at his best, Mack was one of the best.
                              I agree that if you were hiring, you'd have to be concerned about his age, but, as you mention above, his results speak for themselves.
                              I'm like LeBron James.
                              -mpfunk

Comment

Working...
                              X