Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you feel about alcohol-free beer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you feel about alcohol-free beer?

When I left Utah I got into the habit of going out for drinks and dinner with my non-LDS co-workers. I never thought about getting alcohol-free beer, though, because there are generally a lot of other good non-alcoholic drink options in the U.S. Here in Japan, though, the options are limited. I've started going out with my Japanese co-workers, and I usually get a Pepsi or Coke Zero. Those are the only real options.

On the subway today, though, I saw an ad for Kirin Free, which claims to be 0.00% alcohol. I think I don't have a problem with drinking alcohol-free beer... I mean, what is alcohol-free beer, really, but barley soda? I mean, I don't think it sounds like the greatest taste in the world, but it'll be good to mix it up every now and then instead of getting the same old Pepsi.

What are your thoughts on it, both from a religious and a taste point of view?
    Visca Catalunya Lliure

I like it and drink it from time to time.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

I am not a fan of the taste of beer. I have never been a fan of any kind of acquired taste. If you do, go for it.
      I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

There was a missionary serving in my ward growing up who was a convert from Ireland. The mission president gave him permission to drink near beer on his mission as beer was something very difficult for him to completely give up.

I see no problems with drinking it, however, I think it is disgusting and I would prefer a soda over it any day.
        What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
        -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

I've never had real beer but didn't completely hate the alcohol-free beer I tried. I don't have moral issues with it. Some might cite the "avoid the appearance of all evil" objection but I don't find that very persuasive.
          "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
            When I left Utah I got into the habit of going out for drinks and dinner with my non-LDS co-workers. I never thought about getting alcohol-free beer, though, because there are generally a lot of other good non-alcoholic drink options in the U.S. Here in Japan, though, the options are limited. I've started going out with my Japanese co-workers, and I usually get a Pepsi or Coke Zero. Those are the only real options.

On the subway today, though, I saw an ad for Kirin Free, which claims to be 0.00% alcohol. I think I don't have a problem with drinking alcohol-free beer... I mean, what is alcohol-free beer, really, but barley soda? I mean, I don't think it sounds like the greatest taste in the world, but it'll be good to mix it up every now and then instead of getting the same old Pepsi.

What are your thoughts on it, both from a religious and a taste point of view?
            It's a gateway drink!

Comment

It tastes like ass.
              *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
                I've never had real beer but didn't completely hate the alcohol-free beer I tried. I don't have moral issues with it. Some might cite the "avoid the appearance of all evil" objection but I don't find that very persuasive.
                Nothing wrong with it. Coors Cutter is the smoothest, imo, but O'Douls isn't bad either. Becks and Pauli's Girl taste like stale Schlitz.
                sigpic
                "Outlined against a blue, gray
                October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                  It tastes like ass.
                  Apparently you've tasted both?
                  sigpic
                  "Outlined against a blue, gray
                  October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                  Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

never had it. never will.
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

When my son returned from his mission I took him and his two brothers to St. George for a golf outing. When the cart gal drove up he ordered an Oduhl's. I was shocked and asked if he didn't think it might be a good idea to wait a few months before getting back into the swing of things. All three of them got a good laugh. I thought it was the real stuff.

I never liked the taste of beer so near beer is not something I would drink. I have no problem with someone drinking it though even though one Priesthood lesson a couple of years ago pretty much hammered drinking near beer and moved into hammering coke drinkers too.

I don't know if this was the teachers "choose the subject" week or came out of the lesson manual.

Comment

I don't imagine near beer would taste very good, just because I imagine they are dealcoholized versions of light lagers, which tend not to taste very good. Other sorts of beer are the best beverages mankind has yet produced, so I have empathy for those stuck with near beers.

Comment

Not personally a fan (I have had it), but ranks way down there on my list of bad things to do, right above playing with face cards.
                          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                            Not personally a fan (I have had it), but ranks way down there on my list of bad things to do, right above playing with face cards.
                            Does anyone really follow this council anymore?

I remember a YM b-ball tourney that we got into trouble b/c we were playing hearts in the foyer, in between games.

We had a 1st round bye and won out...so we were there all day. After the cards were taken away it sucked.
                            I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

I remember in HS being told that the suits on the cards were the symbols on Satan's garments!

In honor of Satan's garments, I have chosen this avatar

<---------------------------------
                              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X