Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What marathon training program are you using?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What marathon training program are you using?

I think as of yesterday, there are four of us who will be doing fall marathons, with nikuman to follow early next year. I'm curious as to what training program everyone has decided to go with, if any.

I've decided to train for NYC using Hal Higdon's Advanced I plan. I don't really view myself as an advanced runner, I just like how this one incorporates a bit of speed work, hill running and tempo runs.

http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/ad.../advanced1.htm

I use a modified Louisville plan. I simply beat the hell out of my knees, ankles and hips with a baseball bat and then drink a half-dozen Mint Juleps.

I get all the damage of running with none of the hard work. And I don't have to waste a bunch of cash on race entry fees.
    There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
    Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)

Tomorrow is Saturday
    And Sunday comes afterwards

Comment

Last year I used this three day per week program and felt like I failed miserably at it, considering how badly I bonked at mile 20.

This year I plan to add at least a fourth day and possibly 5th day, to ensure that I put in more weekly mileage than last week and get used to running on back-to-back days. I just glanced really quickly, but I like the Higdon Intermediate I plan on that website. I like the fact that it does 2 20 mile runs instead of just the one that I did last year and I like the three consecutive day block mid-week.

Those Higdon advanced programs also look interesting. What does he suggest doing on those days that say "5x hill" or "6x 800"?

Comment

I've got about 5 months to get ready for St. George, and plan on using a hybrib of Hal Higdon's intermediate and Jeff Galloway's plan (I have Galloway's book):

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/marathon.html

I also plan to focus a lot on weight lifting for my legs and core over the next three months on my cross training days. I'm also about to buy this road bike: http://scottusa.com/gb_en/product/2423/16106/cr1_comp

Comment

I'm just doing his novice 1 plan for this first marathon.
          "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
            This year I plan to add at least a fourth day and possibly 5th day, to ensure that I put in more weekly mileage than last week and get used to running on back-to-back days. I just glanced really quickly, but I like the Higdon Intermediate I plan on that website. I like the fact that it does 2 20 mile runs instead of just the one that I did last year and I like the three consecutive day block mid-week.

Those Higdon advanced programs also look interesting. What does he suggest doing on those days that say "5x hill" or "6x 800"?
            I've used Intermediate I 2-3 times, and I thought it was great.

You can click on the number in the "Week" column of his plans, and he explains every day. For the hill workout of week 1, he says

"Thursday:In this Advanced-I program, Thursdays feature hill workouts, tempo runs and interval training on the track, alternating between each from week to week. I do this mainly to provide some variety to the program. Today the prescription is "3 x Hill." But the workout is slightly more complicated than that. Warm up with a couple of miles. Find a hill 200-400 meters long. Run 3 uphill repeats on it, jogging back down between. Cool down with a mile or two. That will give you a workout today of about 5 miles--but counting mileage is not important. More important is the quality of what you do, not the quantity. Even in the marathon, quality counts--at least for Advanced runners."

Comment

I'm using the Sea Chicken Runs When He Has Time To plan. I kept my mileage up around 30-40 over the winter with at least one 10+ mile run each week. About a month ago I increased to 50+ per week adding in 15-milers (with one low mileage week thrown in to recover from a minor injury). I put in my first 20-miler on Saturday, about two weeks later than I had hoped. I'm planning on getting in three more 20-milers before Rock n Roll Seattle in June. I also entered half marathons in April and May to use as training runs.

I'd probably be better off following a more specific training plan, but with my work/travel/family/life schedule, I just don't see it happening. Maybe that's why my times haven't been improving the last couple of marathons.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chicken View Post
                I kept my mileage up around 30-40 over the winter with at least one 10+ mile run each week. About a month ago I increased to 50+ per week adding in 15-milers
                Thats a lot of freaking miles for the off-season, Chicken.

Comment

Not sure what program I'll be using but I know that I'm changing one thing for sure. I will not have a time goal. The truth is that I have no idea what my body is going to do and so for this my first marathon I'm going to train in a lower key fashion. I'll probably run more miles with less speedwork. I will not waste time stressing about beating Oprah.

Comment

Originally posted by ewth8tr View Post
                    I'm just doing his novice 1 plan for this first marathon.
                    I'll probably do the novice again this time. I did it for my first, then used the Intermediate I for the next two. This time I don't have a base at all, and I have less time, so I'll go for the Novice program and take whatever time I get.

I'm starting my training next Monday, so if it isn't started by then I'll be posting the summer's marathon training thread. I'm running in Logan, so I'm starting a week or two before you St George runners.
                    sigpic
                    "Outlined against a blue, gray
                    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                    Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                      I will not have a time goal.
                      That's smart. It takes the pressure off and makes the whole thing more enjoyable, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                        I'll probably do the novice again this time. I did it for my first, then used the Intermediate I for the next two. This time I don't have a base at all, and I have less time, so I'll go for the Novice program and take whatever time I get.

I'm starting my training next Monday, so if it isn't started by then I'll be posting the summer's marathon training thread. I'm running in Logan, so I'm starting a week or two before you St George runners.
                        I'm actually running Logan also. I am starting this novice plan monday as well, though the last few weeks I have been running 3-4 miles/day and I ran a little over 5 on sunday.
                        "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

So I'd love to try training for a half marathon. But i have no idea how I will find the time to run. How in the heck am I gonna fit 5 and 6 mile runs in 4 or more times a week? How do you all do it?
                          Last edited by SteelBlue; 05-12-2009, 10:02 PM.
                          I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PAC

You know how President Hinckley said he doesn't worry about those who pray? The same can be said for men who are self-aware enough to know when there's a life to be lived outside of the world of video games. - Anonymous

Comment

Steel Blue - was your edit to my post supposed to be a reply???

If so, my husband would never let me run that late. I think I am either gonna have to get up WAY early or find babysitting.
                            I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PAC

You know how President Hinckley said he doesn't worry about those who pray? The same can be said for men who are self-aware enough to know when there's a life to be lived outside of the world of video games. - Anonymous

Comment

LOL, yes, sorry about that. I hit the wrong button and wasn't paying attention. Fixed it.

I hear you Gidget, I'd be very uncomfortable with my wife running after dark alone. Maybe your best shot is a gym with childcare. Our gym lets you run outside while leaving the kids in childcare up to 2 hours (as long as they're potty trained).
                              Last edited by SteelBlue; 05-12-2009, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X