Penn State pedophilia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penn State pedophilia

I haven't seen any threads on this story yet. Mike Wise does a great job summarizing this incredibly disturbing story.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...cqM_story.html

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
    I haven't seen any threads on this story yet. Mike Wise does a great job summarizing this incredibly disturbing story.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...cqM_story.html
    Disgusting. I hope everyone who was told and did nothing gets jail time.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

This is probably the final straw that should cause Paterno to step down.

If the allegations are true and he knew, he is a loser. I don't care what he has accomplished on the field.

Penn State has always touted itself as being one of the few big time programs to have never been in trouble with the NCAA. My guess is that right about now, they would trade these allegations with some old fashioned pay for play or maybe drugs or academic scandal.
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

If true, the WaPo writer has it right: Penn State's actions are worse than anything Miami, Ohio State, or SMU ever did.
        "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

Jo Pa's statement:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...andal/related/

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
            That statement won't help JoePa. On one hand, he insists that the GA didn't tell him exactly what happened. On the other, he felt the need to report to the AD this undefined but altogether troubling accusation.

If you didn't know what happened Joe, why did you report it?

If you had wind of some salacious behavior occuring between a man close to the program and a child, in your freaking lockerroom, wouldn't you be just a bit more curious?
            Last edited by San Juan Sun; 11-06-2011, 07:01 PM.
            "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
              He makes PSU football sound like a religion. The whole situation is disturbing.
              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                He makes PSU football sound like a religion.
                Catholicism?
                "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                  This is probably the final straw that should cause Paterno to step down.

If the allegations are true and he knew, he is a loser. I don't care what he has accomplished on the field.

Penn State has always touted itself as being one of the few big time programs to have never been in trouble with the NCAA. My guess is that right about now, they would trade these allegations with some old fashioned pay for play or maybe drugs or academic scandal.
                  This is such an ugly stain, especially the allegations that some of this happened onsite in the PSU showers. I don't know how the school recovers its brand name.
                  Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                    This is such an ugly stain, especially the allegations that some of this happened onsite in the PSU showers. I don't know how the school recovers its brand name.
                    Lawyer types, speak up please. It's my understanding that grand jury reports like this aren't made public unless the DA's case is air-tight and stone cold. Safe assumption?

This isn't someone being arrested out of the blue, with discovery yet to take place. The idea some are suggesting (JoPa included) that we let the legal process play out is borderline apologetic, isn't it? Because it sure sounds like a lot of the legal groundwork has already been laid out.

Comment

Awful, awful stuff. From the grand jury report it sounds like this was Snadusky's mo. Really sick, sordid stuff.

Comment

One of the most awful stories I can imagine. Many of the fears associated with young kids and sports confirmed, vulnerable to a person in power and the person in power is protected.
                        Get confident, stupid
                        -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by Top Ute View Post
                          Lawyer types, speak up please. It's my understanding that grand jury reports like this aren't made public unless the DA's case is air-tight and stone cold. Safe assumption?

This isn't someone being arrested out of the blue, with discovery yet to take place. The idea some are suggesting (JoPa included) that we let the legal process play out is borderline apologetic, isn't it? Because it sure sounds like a lot of the legal groundwork has already been laid out.
                          A grand jury report is not a conviction; on the contrary, it's an accusation. If this is like grand jury proceedings I'm aware of, neither the defense attorney nor the defendant is allowed to be present, there is no cross-examination, the defendant is not allowed to confront his accusers. There are no due process protections. In fact, much of the proceeding, identities of witnesses, etc., is kept forever secret.

As a general proposition, I don't care if a prosecutor thinks his case is "air tight". Especially when dealing with famous people, prosecutorial ambition is a dangerious thing, and prosecutors should be regarded with suspicion. I could cite many examples, such as Senator Ted Stephens' prosecution, where a furious trial judge wound up dismissing the charges, and the disgraced prosecutor committed suicide.

What we know of the grand jury report does sound horrible. But actually Paterno is right; the legal process needs to do its thing before people pass final judgment. This is one major thing that makes America special, after all.

I don't get the comparisons to recruiting violations. That seems to cheapen purported concern about the whole disturbing situation. Are people associated with universities that have been sacntioned for recruiting violations trying to use this alleged horror to minimize their own bad behavior?

Also, it's as if some people's primary reaction to this is to use it to try to ruin Paterno's reputation. This allegedly horrific situation doesn't really appear to be about Joe Paterno. Finally, there's nothing about Paterno's statement that makes me think they're acting like Penn State football is a religion.
                          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post

As a general proposition, I don't care if a prosecutor thinks his case is "air tight". Especially when dealing with famous people, prosecutorial ambition is a dangerious thing, and prosecutors should be regarded with suspicion.

I don't get the comparisons to recruiting violations. That seems to cheapen purported concern about the whole disturbing situation. Are people associated with universities that have been sacntioned for recruiting violations trying to use this alleged horror to minimize their own bad behavior?

Also, it's as if some people's primary reaction to this is to use it to try to ruin Paterno's reputation. This allegedly horrific situation doesn't really appear to be about Joe Paterno. Finally, there's nothing about Paterno's statement that makes me think they're acting like Penn State football is a religion.
                            I eliminated the law stuff, which I appreciate having explained.

Graf by graf, my response:

There's some really shady stuff involving a previous Centre County DA who declined to prosecute Sandusky last decade. So maybe there's some ambition here with the current DA. That said, Pennsylvania media hasn't been shy about talking about the culture that exists within the PSU athletic department. By comparison, they make the BYU BOT sound like blabbermouths.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind..._da_ray_g.html

The comparison to recruiting violations is the sporting media and sports fans' excuse to hammer the NCAA again, which is really going after low-hanging fruit and is almost a lazy argument, but is nonetheless a good point of reference to underline how silly the NCAA's priorities really are. Those that bring up recruiting violations aren't trying to diminish the seriousness of sexual abuse/assault; they're merely questioning the NCAA's own priorities. Which is more than fair game, given the NCAA's clear uneven-handedness with which it has treated rulebreakers.

I strongly disagree with you on one point: Saying this is isn't about Paterno is naive. We're not talking about any assistant coach in Sandusky -- we're talking about a former player and a coach many assumed would take the mantle from Paterno when JoPa stepped down. The grad assistant who informed Paterno of what he saw was a former starting quarterback. Who is Paterno trusting or enabling here?

Paterno has built his reputation on his integrity and doing the right thing. Additionally, there isn't a person in the state who has wielded so much power for so long a time. Merely going to his AD -- a PSU employee who works for Paterno more than Paterno works for him -- is nowhere near enough. He is also very familiar with the legal process, as PSU has had no shortage of players run afoul of the law. For someone who has had numerous contact with law enforcement, that Paterno figured a call to police wasn't in order is shameful.

Prior to Paterno's weak, apologist statement today, I would have allowed him the chance to resign. Based on what I'm reading from PSU fans (hardly a scientific sample, I admit), there is a building consensus for Paterno to be fired. If that's the direction PSU Nation is trending, I can't see how Paterno escapes this unscathed.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Ute View Post
                              I eliminated the law stuff, which I appreciate having explained.

Graf by graf, my response:

There's some really shady stuff involving a previous Centre County DA who declined to prosecute Sandusky last decade. So maybe there's some ambition here with the current DA. That said, Pennsylvania media hasn't been shy about talking about the culture that exists within the PSU athletic department. By comparison, they make the BYU BOT sound like blabbermouths.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind..._da_ray_g.html

The comparison to recruiting violations is the sporting media and sports fans' excuse to hammer the NCAA again, which is really going after low-hanging fruit and is almost a lazy argument, but is nonetheless a good point of reference to underline how silly the NCAA's priorities really are. Those that bring up recruiting violations aren't trying to diminish the seriousness of sexual abuse/assault; they're merely questioning the NCAA's own priorities. Which is more than fair game, given the NCAA's clear uneven-handedness with which it has treated rulebreakers.

I strongly disagree with you on one point: Saying this is isn't about Paterno is naive. We're not talking about any assistant coach in Sandusky -- we're talking about a former player and a coach many assumed would take the mantle from Paterno when JoPa stepped down. The grad assistant who informed Paterno of what he saw was a former starting quarterback. Who is Paterno trusting or enabling here?

Paterno has built his reputation on his integrity and doing the right thing. Additionally, there isn't a person in the state who has wielded so much power for so long a time. Merely going to his AD -- a PSU employee who works for Paterno more than Paterno works for him -- is nowhere near enough. He is also very familiar with the legal process, as PSU has had no shortage of players run afoul of the law. For someone who has had numerous contact with law enforcement, that Paterno figured a call to police wasn't in order is shameful.

Prior to Paterno's weak, apologist statement today, I would have allowed him the chance to resign. Based on what I'm reading from PSU fans (hardly a scientific sample, I admit), there is a building consensus for Paterno to be fired. If that's the direction PSU Nation is trending, I can't see how Paterno escapes this unscathed.
                              I understand the temptation of excited reporters to extrapolate this into a story about Paterno, the one truly famous character anywhere near the scene of the alleged crime, and who is actually the stuff of legends. But, in fact, Paterno didn't sexually molest anyone. The grand jury testimony we're aware of cites that he became aware of a single alleged incident and the next day reported it to university officials as he was supposed to do. At that time the defendant was not even employed by the university or otherwise by Paterno. Paterno is not even alleged to have lied to the grand jury about what he did with the information.

The story is in fact not about Paterno, strictly speaking, whether or not he is guilty of a terrible lapse in judgment in a discrete instance. If someone wants to turn this into a morality play about Joe Paterno's tragic downfall at the end of his career they should wait unitl the evidence is in and the (trial) jury has decided the underlying case.

The pic of that WP sports "columnist" (he's not even a reporter) says it all. The usual halfwit who inhabits such positions.
                              Last edited by SeattleUte; 11-06-2011, 11:15 PM.
                              When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Working...
                              X