Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In which I discuss the sports teams at the University of Michigan

Per request, here 'tis.

Today's news: Mitch McGary commits. This is a big deal, even if he is a probable one-and-done. That finished off the 2012 class, and the 2013 class should probably stop with 3 commits now too (well, 4, but one of them might be done playing basketball for a while after that plane crash).

In other news, Michigan's defense, which was historically dreadful last year, is ranked in the top 20 in the advanced metrics and #6 overall in points allowed, despite having basically the same exact players. Coaching is really important, kids.

The offense, meanwhile, has scored only 5 fewer points through 8 games than last year, despite bringing in an OC who didn't seem to know what to do with Denard. That still seems sort of true, since Denard has struggled a bit, but the RBs are more involved and I love the look of the offense.

Between having a dynamite 2012 recruiting class (with a couple 5-stars already signed up for 2013), and awesome coordinators, Michigan could be making some noise in the next few years.
    Last edited by woot; 11-03-2011, 03:24 PM.

You already used this format for a thread title as it relates to Michigan sports (specifically, the football coach vacancy). Consider me a little less intrigued this time.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
      You already used this format for a thread title as it relates to Michigan sports (specifically, the football coach vacancy). Consider me a little less intrigued this time.
      Yeah, it was supposed to be a bit of a sequel.

I insist that no one post in this thread besides me! This is my personal ghetto. Perhaps I could have named it wootGuard.

Comment

Originally posted by woot View Post
        Per request, here 'tis.
        woot!
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

My good buddy in high school was a big Michigan fan so for about a year I gave it a run. It didn't take.
          "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
            My good buddy in high school was a big Michigan fan so for about a year I gave it a run. It didn't take.
            During the Holiday Bowl in 1984 my buddy's little brother felt bad for Michigan, since everyone else in the family was cheering for BYU. So he began to cheer for Michigan.

It took and he's been a Michigan fan ever since.

I just chalk that up to dumb little brothers...

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
              During the Holiday Bowl in 1984 my buddy's little brother felt bad for Michigan, since everyone else in the family was cheering for BYU. So he began to cheer for Michigan.

It took and he's been a Michigan fan ever since.

I just chalk that up to dumb little brothers...
              Funny you should mention dumb little brothers (Sorry, Woot. Indulge me for a moment)

My older brother, a rabid Ute fan of just 15 years of age, thought it would be fun to take his as-yet affiliated little 7 year old brother to a Utah-BYU game. Suffice it to say, what I saw on the field that day shaped the rest of my sports life. My two little brothers thank me constantly for their diehard devotion to the Blue and White.
              "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Huge game at Illinois today. Illinois is yet another really good Big10 defense, but struggles a bit on offense. With Michigan's continuing confusion on offense, this game needs to be a defensive battle if Michigan is to have a shot.

My confidence at that happening isn't great. Michigan has 3 freshmen and a walk-on senior starting on defense, with very little depth behind anybody. It's exciting that they've been so stout given these handicaps, but they're still just above average, in my estimation, despite being #6 in points given up. There are just too many 3-stars and underclassmen to actually be as good as that ranking would suggest. Mike Martin is a beast and will be a first-rounder, and Kovacs is amazing as a former walk-on junior, but nobody else is particularly impressive.

It's also supposed to be windy today, which means Illinois will load the box and our OC will freak out and call 45 pass plays like he did against MSU in the trash tornado of aught-eleven, or perhaps put Denard under center in the I and run a bunch of 10-on-11 plays.

I'm not very optimistic, despite believing that Michigan has what it takes to beat almost anybody if the OC is willing to do what works with his personnel rather than trying to play MANBALL with a bunch of spread guys. He just hasn't been on his game lately.

Comment

Illinois sucks if michigan doesn't win today they have problems

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk
                  "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
                    Illinois sucks if michigan doesn't win today they have problems

oh ok thank you for insight i really appreciate it you are cool guy

Comment

Originally posted by woot View Post
                      oh ok thank you for insight i really appreciate it you are cool guy
                      I'm sorry I was unaware that you are the only one allowed to comment on michigan.

"Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
                        I'm sorry I was unaware that you are the only one allowed to comment on michigan.

Me too? When did this happen?!

Comment

The playcalling has been great! Lots of running from the gun, very little I-form, very little statue Denard. Very little Denard at all, which at this point seems like a good thing.

Lots of mistakes, though. It's 14-0 at the half, but after Fitz had over 100 yards in the first quarter, that it should be a lot more.

The D has been dominant, holding Illinois to 30 yards so far. Greg Mattison has been calling a great game. His zone blitzes in particular have been very effective on 3rd down.

I'm still worried after leaving so many points on the field, but at least the OC seems to have gotten his head straight.

Comment

Article in huskerextra featuring a guy I went to school with.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/footba...557bc1f9f.html

Comment

This thread is an abomination.. Just want that on record...

Comment

Working...
                              X