Spark Restaurant, Part the Second

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark Restaurant, Part the Second

I love this place. We ordered the Skeleteen Black Lemonade bottled drink which was sour, bitter, and had kava kava as an added bonus. The rosemary pomme frites are good eats. I love having a place like this nearby.
    "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

Originally posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
    I love this place. We ordered the Skeleteen Black Lemonade bottled drink which was sour, bitter, and had kava kava as an added bonus. The rosemary pomme frites are good eats. I love having a place like this nearby.

I do really like the pomme frites. Last time I went everyone left the baby rosemary (which is also fried) untouched, which to me is one of the best parts. So I ate it all.

I haven't tried the drink you mentioned. Sounds interesting. My favorite there is the Journey's Caribbean Creme.

Comment

How far Spark has fallen . . .

I met a friend in Provo today intending to go to Rooster Noodle + Dumpling, only to find out they no longer do lunch on Saturday. Communal has never done Saturday lunches, so we ended up at Spark sort of by default since our time was limited.

It's sad to me that the place that served some of the most inventive and interesting food I've ever eaten can no longer even cook a burger properly anymore. Playing it safe, I went with their Kobe beef burger (which I've ordered before and enjoyed), cooked medium. It came out completely charred. I had a lake of grease on my plate after just a couple of bites. The high point of the meal was the first course, a creamy corn soup that was quite nice. It went down from there.The fries that came with the burger were good, but it seems like fries should be a pretty no-brainer. I'm disappointed that the place that brought us desserts like bacon and eggs ice cream and hazelnut soup serves very tame desserts now (a basic chocolate tort, ice creams, etc.).

They've always pared down their bottled drink selections, no longer offering the excellent Journey's Caribbean Cream or the Skeleteen Black Lemonade. The housemade drinks seem much sweeter than before.

It appears in attempting to connect with the local audience, Spark has dumbed itself down to the point of oblivion. How saddening.
      "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

Comment

It appears in attempting to connect with the local audience, Spark has dumbed itself down to the point of oblivion. How saddening.
        Ah yes... The unsophisticated rubes of Provo are ultimately to blame. Those bastards.

You should escape before it is too late.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Ah yes... The unsophisticated rubes of Provo are ultimately to blame. Those bastards.

No, I think Spark is 100% to blame. I think the success of places like Communal proves that the area is capable of appreciating good food.

Comment

No, I think Spark is 100% to blame. I think the success of places like Communal proves that the area is capable of appreciating good food.
            I went there a few weeks ago (with Space Ghost) and it seemed like the place had really gone downhill. Almost empty at lunch time. It's a pity.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

You shouldn't view this as a dig at Provo. I'm sure the unsophisticated rubes from Orem, Lehi and Spanish Fork are also to blame.
              "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
              "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
              "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

Originally posted by DU Ute View Post
                You shouldn't view this as a dig at Provo. I'm sure the unsophisticated rubes from Orem, Lehi and Spanish Fork are also to blame.
                Not to mention Mapleton.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                  Not to mention Mapleton.
                  Three weeks and I'm outta here!
                  "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                  "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                  "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

Originally posted by DU Ute View Post
                    Three weeks and I'm outta here!
                    Too late, the stink is on you.
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Based on Mrs. Funk's (initial) recommendation, I'm going to try it this weekend. Groupon has a $35 coupon on sale for $15. Hopefully, the place has gone back to its former quality. I won't try the kobe burger.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                        Based on Mrs. Funk's (initial) recommendation, I'm going to try it this weekend. Groupon has a $35 coupon on sale for $15. Hopefully, the place has gone back to its former quality. I won't try the kobe burger.
                        The food has been fairly hit and miss for me. The three-course lunch menu is a good concept, but I often end up thinking the first course of soup is the best part and the entrée often ends up being a sad piece of overcooked chicken swimming in some sort of reduction. They used to do a chocolate mousse for dessert—and it was really good—but it seems for the last year or so, they have only served some variety of ice cream or sorbet.

We've had better luck with the dinner menu, and the last time I ate their filet mignon (after the change in chefs), it was quite tasty. I saw the Groupon this morning, and I think it's a good way to try the food at Spark with fairly low stakes. Report back on what you think.

Comment

Working...
                        X