BYU's next head coach: The thread for speculating on the post-Bronco era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BYU's next head coach: The thread for speculating on the post-Bronco era

I'll start: What do we know about Darrell Bevell?

1. Rose Bowl winning QB at Wisconsin
    2. LDS missionary in Cleveland, Ohio
    3. Packers QB coach from 2003-2005
    4. Vikings OC under Childress
    5. Current Seahawks OC

But.... does he have any ties to BYU?

Is he active LDS? (Only relevant because active LDS are more likely to be guilted into taking an offer from BYU).

If the answer to those two questions is "yes" then he is my nominee for the next HC when Bronco retires to being the AD of BYU-Hawaii.
    Last edited by oxcoug; 10-29-2011, 09:00 AM.
    Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Originally posted by oxcoug View Post

5. Current Seahawks OC

Is he active LDS? (Only relevant because active LDS are more likely to be guilted into taking an offer from BYU).

If the answer to those two questions is "yes" then he is my nominee for the next HC when Bronco retires to being the AD of BYU-Hawaii.
    Bronco's future is as a general authority not sports administration.

I think we have many more years of Bronco in our future, and I expect most of them to be good ones.

For speculation purposes, it's too bad we limit ourselves to active LDS. It would be nice to hire someone who is actually qualified for the job. Last time around we had exactly one person (KW) in the pool of candidates that was qualified for the job and we botched the job offer. Bronco's turned out well, but I don't know if that was due to Elder Eyring receiving direct revelation or pure luck. I don't want to do that again.

Comment

5. Current Seahawks OC

In perfect world would you want someone who's been a head coach somewhere else? I know the pool of candidates is small; just wondering.
      “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
      ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
      -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
      --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
        In perfect world would you want someone who's been a head coach somewhere else? I know the pool of candidates is small; just wondering.
        In a perfect world ... maybe. In a perfect world Andy Reid would (a) shed 50 pounds then (b) come to coach at BYU.

But personally I'd be happy with a guy who has Coordinator-level NFL experience or high level D1 coordinator-level experience.

In its modern era BYU has not hired an HC that was HC somewhere else first.
        Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Comment

In a perfect world ... maybe. In a perfect world Andy Reid would (a) shed 50 pounds then (b) come to coach at BYU.

But personally I'd be happy with a guy who has Coordinator-level NFL experience or high level D1 coordinator-level experience.

Didn't we try that within the last decade?

Comment

Good point. I'm just a little hung up on the idea after our last basketball coach at Utah, who appears to be a good assistant but is just not cut out to be a HC. It seems that assistant football coaches are more often successfully promoted to HC status. But I haven't really done any research on that.
            Last edited by LA Ute; 10-29-2011, 09:33 AM.
            “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
            ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
            -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
            --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Here is Charlie Stubbs' resume.

Bs BYU 1978
              MA BYU 1984
              GA BYU 83-84
              OC Oregon State 85-90
              HC Boiling Springs HS 91-93
              OC Memphis 94-95
              OC Tennesse-Martin 95-96
              OC UNLV 96-97
              OC Alabama 97-01
              OC Tulsa 02-07
              OC Louisville 07
              OC Central MIssouri 07-09
              HC Nicholls State 10-present

Comment

Everyone should be cheering for the Eagles to lose out this season. Andy Reid is the only surefire upgrade out there.

Comment

It's a party of one: Bevell.

However, unless Bronco is found to be making hand signals under bathroom stalls or spending inordinate periods of time at reststops, he's BYU's coach for a long time.

Edit: I should add that Bronco could lose a wrastlin' match with the devil and decide to quit, too. That, or he forgets to take his meds
                  Last edited by Viking; 10-29-2011, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hsaru View Post
                    Everyone should be cheering for the Eagles to lose out this season. Andy Reid is the only surefire upgrade out there.
                    Boo!
                    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Originally posted by Hsaru View Post
                      I had hoped for Reid as early as a few weeks ago until a buddy of mine told me he's heard Andy will never, ever come to BYU. BYU had its shot at him and chose Crowton. Seriously, Lavell had handpicked Andy and while Andy really wanted to stay at Philly, he would have come.

Comment

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                        Here is Charlie Stubbs' resume.

Bs BYU 1978
                        MA BYU 1984
                        GA BYU 83-84
                        OC Oregon State 85-90
                        HC Boiling Springs HS 91-93
                        OC Memphis 94-95
                        OC Tennesse-Martin 95-96
                        OC UNLV 96-97
                        OC Alabama 97-01
                        OC Tulsa 02-07
                        OC Louisville 07
                        OC Central MIssouri 07-09
                        HC Nicholls State 10-present
                        Yay. Another nobody.

Comment

There is nothing wrong with your current coach. BYU's problems this year are remarkably similar to Utah's: lack of a QB and a couple massive talent holes on an otherwise good defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Viking View Post
                            I had hoped for Reid as early as a few weeks ago until a buddy of mine told me he's heard Andy will never, ever come to BYU. BYU had its shot at him and chose Crowton. Seriously, Lavell had handpicked Andy and while Andy really wanted to stay at Philly, he would have come.
                            Andy entertained the thought of BYU with Philly reporters after Crowton was fired and even threw out the "dream job" blurb. I still think it won't happen, but I can dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Viking View Post
                              It's a party of one: Bevell.

However, unless Bronco is found to be making hand signals under bathroom stalls or spending inordinate periods of time at reststops, he's BYU's coach for a long time.

Edit: I should add that Bronco could lose a wrastlin' match with the devil and decide to quit, too. That, or he forgets to take his meds
                              Placeholder.

Comment

Working...
                              X