Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NCAA approves an additional $2000 for student athletes.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA approves an additional $2000 for student athletes.......

I think this is interesting and much deserved for student athletes. But what I find even more interesting is that the NCAA also approved multi-year scholarship offers. Scholarships are no longer year to year.

This will be interesting when it comes to recruiting especially what I like to call "roster fillers" some of thes low 4 star/high 3 star kids that jump at the chance to attend a school like Texas or USC at the end of the signing period because those schools missed on other big time recruits. I can see Texas or USC only offering these kids a 1 year scholarship or a year by year schollie. While a school like BYU or Utah can come in and say look we cna give you a 4year scholarship and guarantee you are with us your entire college career.
    *Banned*

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
    I think this is interesting and much deserved for student athletes. But what I find even more interesting is that the NCAA also approved multi-year scholarship offers. Scholarships are no longer year to year.

This will be interesting when it comes to recruiting especially what I like to call "roster fillers" some of thes low 4 star/high 3 star kids that jump at the chance to attend a school like Texas or USC at the end of the signing period because those schools missed on other big time recruits. I can see Texas or USC only offering these kids a 1 year scholarship or a year by year schollie. While a school like BYU or Utah can come in and say look we cna give you a 4year scholarship and guarantee you are with us your entire college career.
    Having known a few athletes at BYU, I heartily agree. The restrictions put on the those guys were onerous and made it difficult for them to provide for their pregnant wives and/or children.
    Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
    - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
    - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

Doesnt a HS recruit always assume he is getting the full scholarship, even though it could be pulled after any season? how does this change the game?

SC offers a traditional scholarship now vs SC offering a multiyear scholarship next season. Practically speaking, isn't it still the same thing?
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        Doesnt a HS recruit always assume he is getting the full scholarship, even though it could be pulled after any season? how does this change the game?

SC offers a traditional scholarship now vs SC offering a multiyear scholarship next season. Practically speaking, isn't it still the same thing?
        In my view, it gives the student-athlete a little more leverage. Before, the coach could pull a scholarship and tell a player - "it's not working out here at USC but I've made some calls and there is an opening somewhere else where you can transfer and continue playing." The student-athlete has little leverage and almost always opts to transfer.

Now, a student-athlete can continue his education at USC while riding the pine (although practices would probably be difficult). A student can al;so say: "I don't want to transfer to that school, help me find a better one".

But you're correct to observe that the game isn't changed all that much. I suppose it would allow a USC player who takes his education seriously the able to continue studying and playing at USC if he perseveres on the practice field. It would take a dedicated student-athlete to remain under such circumstances. But it would allow him to earn a degree from USC because he probably couldn't transfer to a better or even equivalent academic institution.
        “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
        "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

The ability to offer guaranteed multi-year scholarships strikes me as a really big deal. It may even serve to solve the oversigning that is so rampant in the SEC. Savvy HS kids will simply not commit to a school known for oversigning without a guarantee that they won't end up on the cutting room floor. These schools will still probably end up oversigning, but it will be the lower-rated kids taking year-by-year deals instead of the top-250 kids.

So, I think it could decrease the disparity between the SEC and the other AQ conferences, and perhaps between AQs and mid-majors, since that bland 3-star kid who would normally go warm the bench at a middling AQ school might accept a 4-year deal at a school that currently can't bring in that type of talent.

It will certainly complicate the recruiting process even more for coaches. Not only must they evaluate, make offers, and constantly adjust which of those offers are "commitable" at any given time, they must also decide what kind of deal to offer each kid, and presumably adjust how many years they're willing to commit to a kid as the recruiting process goes on.

It still won't prevent coaches from telling kids that they are guaranteed to never see the field and beg them to transfer, but at least they can't be kicking people off the team for lack of performance as is currently so common at some SEC schools.

Comment

Working...
          X