PDA

View Full Version : Utes to play BSU in Fiesta Bowl?

Coach McGuirk
11-29-2008, 11:08 AM
On the CBS halftime show, they said they that the BCS is tinkering with the idea of this matchup. The two studio hosts said one has to wonder about the ulterior motives on this one. They mentioned specifically, they will be able to point to low TV ratings as a reason not to invite these teams and the second was no chance to prove they can play with the "big boys". Basically avoiding egg on their face.

While a good match up, If I were a Ute and this happens I would be pissed.

TripletDaddy
11-29-2008, 11:11 AM
On the CBS halftime show, they said they that the BCS is tinkering with the idea of this matchup. The two studio hosts said one has to wonder about the ulterior motives on this one. They mentioned specifically, they will be able to point to low TV ratings as a reason not to invite these teams and the second was no chance to prove they can play with the "big boys". Basically avoiding egg on their face.

While a good match up, If I were a Ute and this happens I would be pissed.

this has to be a completely bogus rumor. the "bcs" doesnt make bowl selections. The individual bowls make them.

And none of the bowls wants to lose money.

what a ratings nightmare a Utah/BSU matchup would be.

Coach McGuirk
11-29-2008, 11:14 AM
this has to be a completely bogus rumor. the "bcs" doesnt make bowl selections. The individual bowls make them.

Specifically they mentioned The Fiesta Bowl looking at the match up. But for them to do this, I am implying that it would take all groups involved pleading for them to choose them. As I doubt they would do it on their own.

TripletDaddy
11-29-2008, 11:23 AM
Specifically they mentioned The Fiesta Bowl looking at the match up. But for them to do this, I am implying that it would take all groups involved pleading for them to choose them. As I doubt they would do it on their own.

again, difficult to believe. for all bowls to collude, it would require the BCS conferences to sacrifice one at-large berth to allow BSU to play Utah.

Money talks. Nobody is going to give up the millions just to prove a point.

also, if you were Florida in the title game, would you rather have to go through Utah for the title or go through Texas? such a rumor would require the SEC to actually WANT a more difficult road to the title.

As I stated before, whichever bowl has to take the non-BCS autobid will suffer the lowest bowl ratings of the 5 BCS games. at the very best, the second worst ratings. nobody wants to compound this by adding a second non-BCS team.

Babs
11-29-2008, 11:27 AM

And what would happen to the Big 12 tie-in?

Plus, in order for Boise State to play, somebody else has to get bumped out of the BCS altogether. That would have to be either the Pac 10 or the Big 12 at-large. That's not going to happen, when the Pac-10 at-large is likely to be USC, and Big 12 has three teams in the top seven.

edit: This is somewhat redundant now. TD hadn't posted his second post yet when I started this one.

TripletDaddy
11-29-2008, 11:29 AM
And what would happen to the Big 12 tie-in?

Plus, in order for Boise State to play, somebody else has to get bumped out of the BCS altogether. That would have to be either the Pac 10 or the Big 12 at-large. That's not going to happen, when the Pac-10 at-large is likely to be USC, and Big 12 has three teams in the top seven.

I think the assumption is that the NC game is B12/SEC, in which case, the Fiesta would be at-large city.

The Fiesta was already burned by Utah/Pitt. It won't do that again unless it has a gun to its head.

Babs
11-29-2008, 11:32 AM
I think the assumption is that the NC game is B12/SEC, in which case, the Fiesta would be at-large city.

The Fiesta was already burned by Utah/Pitt. It won't do that again unless it has a gun to its head.

Right, I know. The Big 12 tie-in is theoretically optional in this case. But the Big 12 would throw a hissy if it has three teams in the top seven of the BCS and only gets one team in the bowls.

Like you said, the whole thing is absurd. I didn't hear the discussion by the commentators, but I can't imagine anyone who knows how the BCS works suggesting this scenario with a straight face.

Babs
11-29-2008, 11:38 AM
On the CBS halftime show,

Speaking of the CBS halftime show, this third quarter is an amazing effort by Tech.

il Padrino Ute
11-29-2008, 11:40 AM

The Fiesta really had no choice but to invite Utah and it didn't help that it was required to take a lousy Pitt team.

The BCS is a farce. I just wish it would admit that it is about money and not football. But as long as it claims that it wants what is best for college football, I will always happily point out what a hypocritical group it is and continually complain that it wants to keep the non-BCS teams out.

Coach McGuirk
11-29-2008, 11:48 AM
Speaking of the CBS halftime show, this third quarter is an amazing effort by Tech.

Yes it is. I am always amazed at how great Georgia can be and then turn into SDSU, in the same game.

As far as the rumor, I am in agreement with everyone here. I posted it because of how inconceivable it is. And if it did occur that there had to be an underlying reason for them to do it. That is basically what the hosts were saying as well. The match up itself makes no sense from any angle.

SeattleUte
11-29-2008, 11:58 AM
1) yes, commenators are windbags.

2) why should ute fans be angry if their team plays boise? That would just be paying homage to the charlatan fat cats.

cougjunkie
11-29-2008, 12:11 PM

The Fiesta bowl seems to always be the bowl that gets screwed:

Oregon State vs NotreDame in 2001
Oregon vs Colorado in 2002
Ohio State vs Kansas State in 2004
Utah vs Pitt in 2005
West Virginia vs Oklahoma in 2008

They did get Ohio state vs Miami in the NC game the double overtime thriller also the Boise State vs Oklahoma game which I am sure had awful ratings until the 4th quarter.

SteelBlue
11-29-2008, 12:38 PM
The poll on ESPN's front page today is "Should Utah and Boise St each earn a BCS bid?

Babs
11-29-2008, 12:43 PM
The poll on ESPN's front page today is "Should Utah and Boise St each earn a BCS bid?

That's funny. If you look at the response map, all the Big 12 states say no.

il Padrino Ute
11-29-2008, 02:54 PM
That's funny. If you look at the response map, all the Big 12 states say no.

Poor Big 12. You'll let the Big 12 fans know that I am crying crocodile tears for them, right? After all, it's not fair that the conference only gets an auto-bid and usually a 2nd team into one of the games.

Babs
11-29-2008, 03:07 PM
Poor Big 12. You'll let the Big 12 fans know that I am crying crocodile tears for them, right? After all, it's not fair that the conference only gets an auto-bid and usually a 2nd team into one of the games.

Don't cry for us, Il Padrina. We'll have two teams in again this year, too.

il Padrino Ute
11-29-2008, 03:10 PM
Don't cry for us, Il Padrina. We'll have two teams in again this year, too.

I know you will. That's my point.

YOhio
11-29-2008, 04:36 PM
That would be a fun game to watch. It really is incredible that the Intermountain West has three excellent programs in BSU, Utah, and BYU.

il Padrino Ute
11-29-2008, 06:21 PM
That would be a fun game to watch. It really is incredible that the Intermountain West has three excellent programs in BSU, Utah, and BYU.

With conference alignment, you can add TCU to that mix as well.

A Utah/BSU matchup could very well be entertaining, but it would be bad for both teams, as neither would really get to see where they stack up against the alleged better teams.

Of course, it would also prove to me that the BCS are still a bunch of pussies that are afraid to prove their alleged superiority.