How many cookbooks do you own?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many cookbooks do you own?

I am somewhat of a foodie, or food-a-holic. I like good food and I love to cook. I prob. have 20-30 various cookbooks ranging from Betty Crocker to all the Food Network stars, you name it. This doesnt include magazines that I have saved such as Gourmet, Fine Cooking, Bon Apetit and Cooking Light. I usually get 2-3 cookbooks for my birthday and Christmas every year, and while browsing the book aisle at Costco or when I am in Barnes and Noble, I usually am sure to get a new one. I also try to get a new one every time I go out of town or travel. Lately I have been into regional cookbooks, such as South American cuisine, etc.

There is no way i'll ever be able to use them all, but I try to choose a new recipe at least once a month or more to try out. Usually something exotic or what ever picture jumps out at me. Only problem is cooking can quickly become an expensive hobby (new gadgets, exotic spices, etc..). Before I had kids, I would try new recipes at least once a week.

So am I alone in this? Am I crazy? How many cookbooks do you have?
    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Two: one that came with a crock pot, and one from Giada on the Food Network, which I have never used because I don't want to go shopping for 17 ingredients.

Comment

Originally posted by Fiyero View Post
      Two: one that came with a crock pot, and one from Giada on the Food Network, which I have never used because I don't want to go shopping for 17 ingredients.
      Giada has the best recipe for caprese salad. P. 30 of your book. I make it in late summer, when I have at least two different types of tomatoes ripening in my garden. The best recipes are just a combination of really good ingredients in season.

3 T fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon)
      1/2 t salt, more to taste
      1/4 t fresh ground black pepper, more to taste
      3 T extra virgin olive oil
      1 1/4 lbs assorted tomatoes (red, yellow, plum, cherry etc)
      6 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, drained and sliced
      2 T thinly sliced fresh basil leaves

Whisk lemon juice, 1/2 t salt and 1/4 t pepper in a medium bowl. Gradually whisk in the oil to blend. Set the dressing aside.

Cut the tomatoes into 1/4" thick slices. Arrange on a platter, alternating between slices of tomatoes, mozzarella. Drizzle the dressing over. Sprinkle with the basil and additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve.

Comment

Honestly, we have started ditching cookbooks because more and more stuff is available online. Cookbooks are usually bulky and take up too much precious kitchen space. we still have a bunch of them (around 15 or so?), but many have been sent to the recycle bin in the sky.

I also am putting more and more on my blackberry so that we can try recipes when visiting friends or relatives.

We have one cookbook that was given to us by my wife's mom. It was put together by her ward in Utah. It is bound with some brightly colored yarn and consists of all the favorite recipes from the women in her home ward. Most are casseroles or other gross ideas that might come in handy when you are cooking for 9 kids. I don't think we have ever used that one, but whenever my MIL comes to visit, my wife kinda puts that cookbook somewhere visible so as not to offend.

I do keep my own personal food journals, though, which is part of my hobby/obsession. My own Movable Feast, of sorts. I was just writing in it tonight, actually.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post

I also am putting more and more on my blackberry so that we can try recipes when visiting friends or relatives.
          That is a good idea. I hadnt thought of that.
          "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
            That is a good idea. I hadnt thought of that.
            Another nice thing about putting recipes on the blackberry....if someone says, "can I get that recipe?" you can simply email it to them right there on the spot.

sigpic

Comment

I don't know that we have any cookbooks. Just about every recipe we make we pull online. Most of the time from foodandwine.com.
              So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                I don't know that we have any cookbooks. Just about every recipe we make we pull online. Most of the time from foodandwine.com.
                we love F&W. Have you tried epicurean.com? That is another good one.

The other thing about celeb chef cookbooks....why would you buy an Emeril cookbook or a Flay cookbook? The recipes are online for free.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                  I am somewhat of a foodie, or food-a-holic. I like good food and I love to cook. I prob. have 20-30 various cookbooks ranging from Betty Crocker to all the Food Network stars, you name it. This doesnt include magazines that I have saved such as Gourmet, Fine Cooking, Bon Apetit and Cooking Light. I usually get 2-3 cookbooks for my birthday and Christmas every year, and while browsing the book aisle at Costco or when I am in Barnes and Noble, I usually am sure to get a new one. I also try to get a new one every time I go out of town or travel. Lately I have been into regional cookbooks, such as South American cuisine, etc.

There is no way i'll ever be able to use them all, but I try to choose a new recipe at least once a month or more to try out. Usually something exotic or what ever picture jumps out at me. Only problem is cooking can quickly become an expensive hobby (new gadgets, exotic spices, etc..). Before I had kids, I would try new recipes at least once a week.

So am I alone in this? Am I crazy? How many cookbooks do you have?
                  I think we have maybe three dozen cookbooks, but when I'm making something I almost always use The Joy of Cooking.

In college my wife worked at a cooking/housewares store in Boulder. The owner of the store had a library in her house devoted to cookbooks with somewhere in the neighborhood of 5,000 cookbooks. It was an impressive sight.
                  There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
                  Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)
                  …
                  Tomorrow is Saturday
                  And Sunday comes afterwards

Comment

I just bought the Sneaky Chef. I made the strawberry breakfast ice cream (frozen strawberries, nonfat milk, honey and avocado pureed) and my kids liked it. I think that was the first cookbook I have ever purchased. The others I own (which are few) were gifts. I get everything online.
                    What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
                    -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Not counting the ones that came with appliances, we own two: Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone (by far our most frequented cooking book) and some Moosewood book that I never crack.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                        Have you tried epicurean.com?
                        No. Our #2 is epicurious.com: http://www.epicurious.com/

Actually, it's probably not even #2. I'm guessing we use that one as much as F&W.
                        So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

I own two cooking-related books, though they're not cookbooks per se.:

Peterson's Essentials of Cooking

McGee's On Food and Cooking aka the bible.

I'm not much of a recipe guy, but when I need ideas I'll look at epicurious or blogs.

Comment

Originally posted by OhioBlue View Post
                            I own two cooking-related books, though they're not cookbooks per se.:

McGee's On Food and Cooking aka the bible.
                            I worship this book. His second one--not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                              Giada has the best recipe for caprese salad. P. 30 of your book.
                              That recipe does look good but my page 30 is for vegetarian mozzarella paninis, loaded with olive oil. Only 12 ingredients in that one.

I have no clue how that chick stays so thin.

Comment

Working...
                              X