Alisa, Kariya and RB's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alisa, Kariya and RB's

After either Texas or Utah, Kariya was interviewed and asked why he didn't have many carries. He answered that his role had changed, implying he wasn't going to be carrying the ball this year. Then he carried it more than anyone against UCF and USU. Then nothing again last night.

Alisa started off looking like he had some potential. Then he was silent for a few games (probably something obvious like injury?). Then our leading rusher last night.

JJ seems to be in the doghouse for his fumbles.

Is the coaching staff schizophrenic with the RB's or is there a coherent story here due to injuries and such?

All I know is that I saw some Unga in Alisa. I like that.

Comment

Liked what I saw from Alisa last night, but like everyone else, not sure what to make of it against SJSU. Some of the holes he was getting last night were ridiculous and unlike anything we've seen this year.
      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

First of all Alisa had 3 carries for 2 yards coming in to this game. So not sure what potential you saw in him. With that being said Bronco mentioned in the post game that they needed to get back to a power running game with guys running north and south. He said Alisa and Juice (it makes me laugh everytime I hear Bronco say Juice) are the two best at doing that. He said that Doman got in to a rythm last night and those two were ripping of 5 yards per so he kept with them.

He also said JJ will be used more in passing situations and as a traditional third down back, or if they feel like they can get to the edge on a defense.
        *Banned*

Comment

I've been reading and hearing a lot of negative about our O-line this year. Watching Alisa last night has convinced me that our problem isn't the line it is our backs. Alisa hit holes aggressively. Our other backs generally are dancing around this year. Juice figured it out during the game. BYU backs need to be patient then explode downhill. We haven't done that this year and it became apparent watching Alisa do it.

Comment

A footnote to Junkie's comments. Bronco did mention in his post-game comments that Alisa had a very nice week of practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
              A footnote to Junkie's comments. Bronco did mention in his post-game comments that Alisa had a very nice week of practice.
              it's funny, I fell asleep somewhere in the beginning of the fourth quarter, then woke up and the post-game was on (still not sure how that happened, as I wasn't listening to ksl online when I fell asleep) and Bronco was talking about how it became apparent in practice that Alisa could rip off 4-6 ypc and that was what they needed in order to get the offense back on its feet.
              Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
              God forgives many things for an act of mercy
              Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                I've been reading and hearing a lot of negative about our O-line this year. Watching Alisa last night has convinced me that our problem isn't the line it is our backs. Alisa hit holes aggressively. Our other backs generally are dancing around this year. Juice figured it out during the game. BYU backs need to be patient then explode downhill. We haven't done that this year and it became apparent watching Alisa do it.
                It helped we also played the worst defensive front seven we have faced all year.

Comment

I can't disagree with you more. Our OL has been way below average in run blocking all year. And really has been since Grimes left. Our backs and OL figured nothing out last night other than SJSU is a terrible, terrible team. They give up almost 200 yards a game on the ground.
                  "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                    I can't disagree with you more. Our OL has been way below average in run blocking all year. And really has been since Grimes left. Our backs and OL figured nothing out last night other than SJSU is a terrible, terrible team. They give up almost 200 yards a game on the ground.
                    We got more than 230 on the ground, didn't we?

Comment

Alisa was able to extend runs and gain those extra yards. They always count. I never liked JJ, he has average speed and falls over as soon as a defender even looks at him.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                        Yeah, they're definitely not a great rushing defense:

Code:
                        	        Carries	Total	YPC
                        Stanford	40	141	3.5
                        UCLA	        42	272	6.8
                        Nevada	        60	261	6.5
                        New Mexico St	32	185	4.6
                        Colorado St	26	71	1.8
                        BYU	        44	224	5.6
                        Average	        40.7	192.3	4.8
                        Average no BYU	40.0	186.0	4.7
                        Still, we were slightly above average relative to to their other opponents. Given, the performance of the rushing attack up to that game, it was a pleasing development and a pretty good effort. And it is worth noting that both Nevada and UCLA have been very good rushing offenses so far this year in their other games
                        Last edited by pelagius; 10-09-2011, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by USCoug View Post
                          Alisa was able to extend runs and gain those extra yards. They always count. I never liked JJ, he has average speed and falls over as soon as a defender even looks at him.
                          You're so right about JJ. I've noticed that his numbers last year indicated how badly he sucked.

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                            First of all Alisa had 3 carries for 2 yards coming in to this game. So not sure what potential you saw in him.
                            He also had a couple catches out of the backfield in past games.
                            "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

You're so right about JJ. I've noticed that his numbers last year indicated how badly he sucked.
                              I think JJ Diluigi's fortunes for this year's squad rises and falls with Jake Heaps. JJ is a back that needs the pass to set up the run. If Jake were living up to his potential then I think JJ would be the premiere back, but alas Jake has not done this. With Riley, BYU is best served with a bigger power back and quite honestly I think Alisa looks to me to have the most potential for being a good every down back than I have seen since Unga the Harvey.
                              Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                              -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                              -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Working...
                              X