I'm losing my faith in Bronco Mendenhall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm losing my faith in Bronco Mendenhall

I must confess, by game three of last season I began to harbor serious doubts about Bronco as a head coach. In the beginning, when he took over for Crowton, I deliberately set aside concerns I had about his decision making as a coach in general. I had little faith in his defensive philosophy. Mostly, I chose to be patient as a fan because he is very young and the program he inherited was in shambles.

Before I express some of my concerns I happily concede there has been some positive signs emerge from his tenure. Bronco has matured as a defensive coach, wisely changing his philosophy to better suit the strengths of the talent that is typically available to BYU. As well—and most impressive of all—he has masterfully managed the culture at BYU in addition to doing a good job over all juggling the demands of the mission equation. I love the fact that he is often terse with the fans and press and that he is peculiar among a peculiar people. Therefore, for several years I have let certain things slide but, after today’s announcement that Nelson will start I have to voice my concerns ...

1. Despite changing his philosophy and fielding pretty good defenses during his tenure, his players still do not tackle well with any consistency. His defenses hustle and hit, hit, hit to be sure but, season in and season out they wear down at the end of games primarily because they have exhausted themselves trying to Make the big hit. This is cultural ... a culture that can be blamed on coach Mendenahall and his coaching/teaching style. Even if you assign responsibility to the assistants, ultimately the fault lies with him alone.

2. He put Jaime Hill in charge of the defense. Coupled with fact he allowed Anae to leave (or, forced him out), he has demonstrated an inability to clearly assess coaching ability. Perhaps I haven't seen enough of Doman to make a judgment but, something doesn't sit right with me, which leads me to the next point ...

3. It's more than personnel (Heaps) not performing or a lack of a true feature running back(s). Last week's offensive spurt at the end of the game was ALL Riley Nelson. It's foolish to believe that type of spontaneity can be maintained from game to game, let alone for an entire season. A pragmatic leader must understand this. The fact Nelson has been named the starter demonstrates to me a style of leadership that favors hope as a game plan verses faith and confidence in a staff's ability to bring the right personnel in and teach them how to be successful in the system, all the while adjusting the system skillfully to match the uniqueness of each class of new recruits.

4. Poor special teams and clock mismanagement in general. We have watched a punter who couldn't punt during his tenure. We have seen a time when he did not have a player with long snapping abilities on the squad. I cringe at the inconsistency with kicks ... how many times is the ball kicked out of bounds at crucial junctures in a game, every game, season after season? I literally leave the room for every PAT, field goal and kick-off. I can’t watch.

This is an issue of attention to detail—the ability to focuses on the small things because he can. But, the truth is he can't because there are too many big issues to deal with. BCS busting seasons are only possible when such details become the focus of a team's preparation. Now, I suppose, one can argue that Bronco is still young and his teams will eventually get there but I don't think such an argument has as much merit as I thought it did a year ago. There is enough of a history to start to wonder whether we have witnessed Bronco's ceiling as a head coach.

I suppose my anxieties could be a bi-product of this big 12 craziness. I hope we witness Steve Young Version 2.0 tomorrow. But, the hope just isn't doing it for me. Regardless, go cougars!

Flame away.

I still don't understand why BYU didn't go for 2 last week to try and get the game to a FG rather than an extra point that seemed a lot like lose by fournit five.

That is the kind of in game detail that seems to frustrate.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
      I still don't understand why BYU didn't go for 2 last week to try and get the game to a FG rather than an extra point that seemed a lot like lose by fournit five.

I thought it was too early. I was also happy we didn't because if BYU had cut it to a 3 point game I knew they would settle for a fg later. That seems to rarely work out for BYU.
      A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post

I agree completely and I'd add don't forget the clock management at the end of halves. They have been horrible at that. For one who preaches preparation and execution as key to their success, it seems that the coaching staff never has a plan for tight situations when the clock is running down. What in the hell Riley was doing right after the play that put them into scoring position is beyond me. He looks to the sidelines and the sidelines tells him to run a play when all he should have been doing was get everyone to line up quickly and spike the damn ball. We had a similar issue in both the Ole Miss game and the Texas game.
        Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
        God forgives many things for an act of mercy
        Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

I'll admit that I don't like broncos attitude towards the fans but I think tooblues points are all bunk. I'll explain later when I'm not on my phone.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
            I'll admit that I don't like broncos attitude towards the fans but I think tooblues points are all bunk. I'll explain later when I'm not on my phone.
            Bump.

Comment

Originally posted by tooblue View Post
              Bump.
              Eddie Jones is still on his phone, I'm guessing.
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Different day, same old shit.
                Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                  Eddie Jones is still on his phone, I'm guessing.
                  You scored well on the basketball questions ... I'll get to a response later.

Comment

Holy shit Falslev!

When is the last time that happened?

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                      Holy shit Falslev!

When is the last time that happened?
                      http://www.cougaruteforum.com/showth...025#post699025

Comment

It sure looks like Bronco is the football equivalent of Steve Cleveland, was what we needed to fix the program at the time but just can't take us to the next level.

I have to think that at least some of this comes from his insisting coaches be home by 6 p.m. As I saw someone else put it, there is no attention to detail because Bronco doesn't use the all the time available. He gives the players practices off, ends practices early, etc. Much of Bronco's philosophy seems to be the same canard used by single mothers, that it is not how much time you use but that "quality" of the time. Not to mention the time and loss of attention from the game that occurs because Bronco is a "mission president" much of the time.

While I like Bronco as a person, I don't think he is the right at BYU as a head coach. For all we BYU fans like to bag on Patterson, he does the things that Bronco should be doing -- planning for the different teams rather than just believing "execution" will get it done and taking the extra time to ensure both his staff and his players are fully ready to play each game. And before you bring up the Oklahoma game, I will admit that Bronco and staff can be ready if they have time to prepare, but he typically hasn't done well in big games in the middle of the season. Look at the record the last few years against TCU and Utah -- particularly in years where BYU's team appeared to be clearly better against Utah.

There is also the whole idea of players deserving to play based on "life experience". Too many times young players don't play, despite clearly seeming to out play the "life experience" player on the field.

But mostly my problem is in preparation -- both in general for the season and big games. BYU does okay in first games, though still typically makes lots of mistakes but, with the time to prepare, manage to find a way to win. The next two games, though, the mistakes typically don't really get cleaned up. Bronco is now 1-6 in the third game of the season. His teams consistently make lots of mistakes early in the season, they don't get them fixed. And in years like this one, they are two thirds through the season and we are still making the same type of mistakes as we made in game 1.

Most of what has happened tonight all falls on coaching. And, at some point, the head coach has to be blamed for the coaching problems -- especially when he changed the coaching staff to get "his coaches" this year. I think Bronco could be a good Defensive Coordinator at BYU; I just don't think he is the answer at head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by aCougarFONT View Post
                          It sure looks like Bronco is the football equivalent of Steve Cleveland, was what we needed to fix the program at the time but just can't take us to the next level.

I have to think that at least some of this comes from his insisting coaches be home by 6 p.m. As I saw someone else put it, there is no attention to detail because Bronco doesn't use the all the time available. He gives the players practices off, ends practices early, etc. Much of Bronco's philosophy seems to be the same canard used by single mothers, that it is not how much time you use but that "quality" of the time. Not to mention the time and loss of attention from the game that occurs because Bronco is a "mission president" much of the time.

While I like Bronco as a person, I don't think he is the right at BYU as a head coach. For all we BYU fans like to bag on Patterson, he does the things that Bronco should be doing -- planning for the different teams rather than just believing "execution" will get it done and taking the extra time to ensure both his staff and his players are fully ready to play each game. And before you bring up the Oklahoma game, I will admit that Bronco and staff can be ready if they have time to prepare, but he typically hasn't done well in big games in the middle of the season. Look at the record the last few years against TCU and Utah -- particularly in years where BYU's team appeared to be clearly better against Utah.

There is also the whole idea of players deserving to play based on "life experience". Too many times young players don't play, despite clearly seeming to out play the "life experience" player on the field.

But mostly my problem is in preparation -- both in general for the season and big games. BYU does okay in first games, though still typically makes lots of mistakes but, with the time to prepare, manage to find a way to win. The next two games, though, the mistakes typically don't really get cleaned up. Bronco is now 1-6 in the third game of the season. His teams consistently make lots of mistakes early in the season, they don't get them fixed. And in years like this one, they are two thirds through the season and we are still making the same type of mistakes as we made in game 1.

Most of what has happened tonight all falls on coaching. And, at some point, the head coach has to be blamed for the coaching problems -- especially when he changed the coaching staff to get "his coaches" this year. I think Bronco could be a good Defensive Coordinator at BYU; I just don't think he is the answer at head coach.
                          I haven't lost total faith in him but, we are beyond the point of he's young and needs more time to work some of these things out. Better preparation and game management is the most immediate need.

Comment

I wouldn't be opposed to Bronco retiring if I thought there was a HC in the wings.

Really who else is out there?

Comment

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                              I wouldn't be opposed to Bronco retiring if I thought there was a HC in the wings.

Really who else is out there?
                              Andy Reid will get fired if the Eagles miss the playoffs. He could work 3x as much as Bronco and it would still be a huge cutback from his current lifestyle. Unfortunately, that wouldn't solve our clock management problems.
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Working...
                              X