Was there hope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was there hope

with 3 minutes remaining and a well paid gang from a Methodist owned University were up 21 points?

Was their hope when the hole opened for Dameon Hunter and he decided not to hit it?

Was their hope when Jonny Harline suddenly spent 2 quarters never getting open?

Was their hope when Mizzou had the ball inside the BYU 20 with less than 5 minutes on the clock?

Was their hope when Bobby Roscoe and the boys gave away more free turnovers against Michigan than the Provo Arby's the monday after the BYU-Utah game?

Everything this program has given you feckless pussies and now you head for the hills like the French Army when they were attacked by the Japanese at the Battle of the Somme.

To quote Jim McMahon...It ain't fucking over yet!
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    with 3 minutes remaining and a well paid gang from a Methodist owned University were up 21 points?

Was their hope when the hole opened for Dameon Hunter and he decided not to hit it?

Was their hope when Mizzou had the ball inside the BYU 20 with less than 5 minutes on the clock?

Was their hope when Bobby Roscoe and the boys gave away more free turnovers against Michigan than the Provo Arby's the monday after the BYU-Utah game?

Everything this program has given you feckless pussies and now you head for the hills like the French Army when they were attacked by the Japanese at the Battle of the Somme.

[youtube]V8lT1o0sDwI[/youtube]
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

:rockon2:

Comment

I fixed the grammar in your thread title, but you need to change it in your post if you don't want to be made fun of by DH and falafel. HINT: Change their to there.

Comment

Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Thank you for bearing your testimony. It made me feel a little better. Part of my make up as a Minnesota and BYU fan is that I always expect the worse to happen because with Minnesota sports it always does.

Comment

Several years after Brother Maeser's death a proposal was made to construct a memorial building in his name, not downtown on University Avenue but high atop Temple Hill, where a new campus might be built consisting of as many as three or perhaps four buildings someday. The cost would be an astronomical $100,000, but the Maeser Building would be a symbol of the past, a statement of aspiring tradition, an anchor to the university's future.

In spite of a staggering financial crisis clouding the very future of the university at the time, the faculty and student body took heart that in 1912 the Maeser Building was at least partially complete and the university would give diplomas to its first four-year graduating class. But even as graduation plans were being made, equally urgent plans were underway to sell the remainder of Temple Hill for the development of a new Provo suburb. The university simply had to have the money to survive. Eighteen members were graduating in this first four-year class, but even if the student body tripled in the years ahead, surely there would be more than enough room to accommodate them on the space now occupied by the Maeser, Brimhall, and Grant buildings on our present campus. Yes, the rest of the space on the hill should be sold. The graduation services would conclude with a sales pitch to the community leaders in attendance.

When Alfred Kelly was introduced that morning as the student graduation speaker, he rose and stood absolutely silent for several moments. Some in the audience thought he had lost the power of speech. Slowly he began to speak, explaining that he had been much concerned over his remarks, that he had written several versions and discarded every one of them.

Then, early one morning, he said, with a feeling of desperation regarding his approaching assignment, he walked north from his downtown apartment to where the partially completed Maeser Building stood (as Horace Cummings would later describe it) as an "air castle" come to earth on Temple Hill. He wanted to gain inspiration from this hope of a new campus, but he felt only grim disappointment. The sky was starting to glow from the morning light, but the darkly silhouetted Maeser Building seemed only a symbol of gloom.

Kelly then turned his eyes to view the valley below that was also still in shadow. The light from the rising sun was just beginning to illuminate the western hills back of Utah Lake with an unusual golden glow. As morning came, the light gradually worked down from the hilltops, moved across the valley floor, and slowly advanced to the spot where Kelly stood.

He said he partially closed his eyes as the light approached and was startled by what he could still see. He stood as if transfixed. In the advancing sunlight everything he saw took on the appearance of people, young people about his age moving toward Temple Hill. He saw hundreds of them, thousands of young people coming into view. He knew they were students, he said, because they carried books in their arms as they came.

Then Temple Hill was bathed in sunlight, and the whole of the present campus was illuminated not with one partially completed building, nor with homes in a modern subdivision, but rather what Kelly described to that graduating class as "temples of learning," large buildings, beautiful buildings, hundreds of buildings covering the top of that hill and stretching clear to the mouth of Rock Canyon.

The students then entered these temples of learning with their books in hand. As they came out of them, Kelly said their countenances bore smiles of hope and of faith. He observed that they seemed cheerful and very confident. Their walk was light but firm as they again became a part of the sunlight as it moved to the top of Y Mountain, and then they gradually disappeared from view.

Kelly sat down to what was absolutely stone-deaf silence. Not a word was spoken. What about the sales pitch? No one moved or whispered. Then longtime BYU benefactor Jesse Knight jumped to his feet and shouted, "We won't sell an acre. We won't sell a single lot." And he turned to President George Brimhall and pledged several thousand dollars to the future of the university. Soon others stood up and joined in, some offering only a widow's mite, but all believing in the dream of a Provo schoolboy, all believing the destiny of a great university which that day had scarcely begun.
              http://speeches.byu.edu/reader/reader.php?id=7012

Comment

The buzzer rang when TCU got the invite. It's over. I'm just glad I can watch them on TV.
                Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

lol this thread went over like a lead balloon. The misspellings probably got goat a bunch of funniest poster votes though (albeit the humor was unintentional).
                  When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                    lol this thread went over like a lead balloon. The misspellings probably got goat a bunch of funniest poster votes though (albeit the humor was unintentional).
                    Bullcrap! It was just so inspiring that people didn't want to screw it up w/ lame responses like yours.

Comment

Broom Britches
                      Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Wait, typos are FUNNY? Really?
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                          Wait, typos are FUNNY? Really?
                          you should be on funny the list. I could probably get honorable mention for my typing, spelling and grammar too.
                          Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

If Goatnapper's right, I'll donate money to a fund for breast implants for the impoverished or something.
                            I think, perhaps, the only person who hates BYU fans more than ute fans hate BYU fans, is Bronco Mendenhall.
                            -smokymountainrain

Menden Hall Hates Me.

Comment

Jimbo just hit Matt Braga for a fabulous one handed diving catch in the right back corner of the endzone. 45-31...IT IS NEVER OVER!

At this point I am still there, blue Y painted on my chest and screaming like a MoFo. Some pussy from Price is throwing away his BYU shirt and is in a fetal position while he talks about moving to Ohio. His #9 jersey has "Heaps" on the back!

WHO IS YOUR # 9?
                              Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                              -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                              -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Working...
                              X