Potential Schedule Changes for BYU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential Schedule Changes for BYU

Suppose BYU were to play in the Big 12 in '12. If that's the case, they would have 8 or 9 conference games, depending on if the Big 12 had 10 or 12 teams, meaning they would be able to play either 3 (more likely) or 4 conference games.

So which games would they drop?

Sept 1 - Georgia Tech?
    Sept 8 - WEBER STATE
    Sept. 15 - @ Utah
    Sept 22 - @ Boise State
    Oct 6? - UTAH STATE
    Oct. 13 - OREGON STATE
    Oct. 20 - @ Notre Dame
    [TBD - IDAHO]
    TBD - @ New Mexico State
    TBD - @San Jose State
    TBD - HAWAII

The obvious candidates to drop are Idaho, New Mexico State, and San Jose State, and probably Weber State.

I think they will definitely play Utah in 2012, and I think they would love to keep the Notre Dame game.

Who would they keep out of the following?

-Georgia Tech (this one seems shaky since the OSU game bumped it)
    -BSU (1st in 12-game (()) series)
    -USU
    -Oregon State (will "owe" a return game after 2011)
    -Hawaii (will "owe" a return game after 2011)

Originally posted by TheBYUGuy View Post
    Suppose BYU were to play in the Big 12 in '12. If that's the case, they would have 8 or 9 conference games, depending on if the Big 12 had 10 or 12 teams, meaning they would be able to play either 3 (more likely) or 4 conference games.

So which games would they drop?

Sept 1 - Georgia Tech?
    Sept 8 - WEBER STATE
    Sept. 15 - @ Utah
    Sept 22 - @ Boise State
    Oct 6? - UTAH STATE
    Oct. 13 - OREGON STATE
    Oct. 20 - @ Notre Dame
    [TBD - IDAHO]
    TBD - @ New Mexico State
    TBD - @San Jose State
    TBD - HAWAII

The obvious candidates to drop are Idaho, New Mexico State, and San Jose State, and probably Weber State.

I think they will definitely play Utah in 2012, and I think they would love to keep the Notre Dame game.

Who would they keep out of the following?

-Georgia Tech (this one seems shaky since the OSU game bumped it)
    -BSU (1st in 12-game (()) series)
    -USU
    -Oregon State (will "owe" a return game after 2011)
    -Hawaii (will "owe" a return game after 2011)
    If you're playing a full Big 12 schedule, I think you need to have 2 very winnable games on the non conference schedule. You could conceivably get away with Oregon State at home as being winnable, and would probably want to keep one of the WAC teams or Weber State if you can get them early in the season. Maybe you keep Hawaii as that team as they are a totally different team on the mainland than they are in Hawaii.

I think the other two you look to keep are probably Utah/Boise State and Notre Dame.

I think in an ideal world, you try and add the best "names" that are also the most winnable games. To me, that means adding:

Oregon State (I also think Bronco's ties to OSU keep them on the schedule)
    Hawaii (different team away from home, but still a team that has some name recognition)
    Notre Dame
    Utah

The last two again are less sure things, but they balance out the home/away schedule. Maybe the relationship with Utah has deteriorated to the point that the game gets cancelled and they quit playing effective next year, but I don't see it happening.

Comment

It looks like you will have probably have to drop the Boise game, as you already have an away at ND and Utah. If you keep the away Boise game then you will only have one home non-conference game. That may not be good for the fan base. I think that you have to keep the Georgia Tech game as no one in the BIG twelve will want to open with a conference game.
      "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
        It looks like you will have probably have to drop the Boise game, as you already have an away at ND and Utah. If you keep the away Boise game then you will only have one home non-conference game. That may not be good for the fan base. I think that you have to keep the Georgia Tech game as no one in the BIG twelve will want to open with a conference game.
        Cough...Utah...cough.
        "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
          Cough...Utah...cough.
          Well after this years performance, I wouldn't blame you for wanting to drop it.
          "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
            Well after this years performance, I wouldn't blame you for wanting to drop it.
            Exactly! See, we're not so far apart, you and I.
            "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
              Exactly! See, we're not so far apart, you and I.
              The only circumstances in which I would approve of BYU not coming to Utah next year is for a hefty buy-out, coupled with BYU convincing Notre Dame to make one of its trips to Provo to RES instead. Of course, Utah would make a return trip to South Bend.

Otherwise, BYU owes us the return trip and I expect them to make it. I would like to see the rivalry continue, but also realize it might not be possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Ute View Post
                The only circumstances in which I would approve of BYU not coming to Utah next year is for a hefty buy-out, coupled with BYU convincing Notre Dame to make one of its trips to Provo to RES instead. Of course, Utah would make a return trip to South Bend.

Otherwise, BYU owes us the return trip and I expect them to make it. I would like to see the rivalry continue, but also realize it might not be possible.
                Well since the first 40 games were in SLC maybe we just call it even.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Ute View Post

Humor me without getting upset...

How does BYU owe a return trip? What is there to say that the Utah trip to LES this year wasn't Utah "settling up" for the game we played at RES last year? Maybe they are even?

And there isn't an agreement in place for the game next year is there? So I am not sure if anything would be owed or not.

But I don't think BYU is going to help steer a home and home with ND for you.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post

How does BYU owe a return trip? What is there to say that the Utah trip to LES this year wasn't Utah "settling up" for the game we played at RES last year? Maybe they are even?

And there isn't an agreement in place for the game next year is there? So I am not sure if anything would be owed or not.

Because last years game(and the 40 prior) was dictated as part of being in a conference. The contract was for a 2 game series with game 1 on Provo and game 2 in SLC.

Besides, how do you know that 2010 wasn't settling up for utah playing in Provo in 2009?
                    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Hawaii
                      Oregon State
                      Utah
                      ND

BYU needs to have 2 home OOC games. I am ok with Boise over Utah if Utah was really trying to big time us. (Big if) Slide the Boise games back one year and write them a check.
                      Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post

IIRC also Utah wanted the 2011 game at RES to help their transition to the Pac 12 and balance scheduling. BYU said no, because they needed a home game against a solid opponent, and they wanted to keep the game alternating as had previously done.

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                          Hawaii
                          Oregon State
                          Utah
                          ND

BYU needs to have 2 home OOC games.
                          Hack

Comment

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
                            Hack
                            sorry I have a bad habbit of responding before I read the whole thread
                            Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                              Because last years game(and the 40 prior) was dictated as part of being in a conference. The contract was for a 2 game series with game 1 on Provo and game 2 in SLC.

Besides, how do you know that 2010 wasn't settling up for utah playing in Provo in 2009?
                              I don't. Which was exactly my point to Pat.

I don't understand folks that DEMAND stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X