Anybody hear about this?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...due-refs-error

[youtube]Bl4BksdE6-s[/youtube]

How on earth do you miss that review?
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

http://www.cougaruteforum.com/showpo...5&postcount=49

Totally ridiculous.

Comment

Unbelievable. I cant imagine a simpler call than whether the ball went inside or outside of the uprights. How they missed it to begin with is beyond me. That they missed it on review, too? Amazing.
      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

lol.

Good catch.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Big East spokesman John Paquette cited the NCAA rulebook in response to requests about Toledo: "When the referee declares that the game has ended, the score is final."
          But isnt this what happened in the Utah-USC game? The score was changed?

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
            But isnt this what happened in the Utah-USC game? The score was changed?
            No.
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
              Unbelievable. I cant imagine a simpler call than whether the ball went inside or outside of the uprights. How they missed it to begin with is beyond me. That they missed it on review, too? Amazing.
              No kidding. Reminds me of the interception-fumble call last year in the BYU-Utah game.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

So is everyone at Toledo screaming for Syracuse to do the right thing and forfeit the game, like SDSU did?

Comment

the 'cuse won that game and toledo should stfu.

Comment

I wonder if this will cause the officials to change field positions when ruling on FGs and PATs. Right now I think they position themselves under the goal posts where it can be difficult to determine if the football went through the uprights. Perhaps place an official behind the kicker.

It might also change the camera angles so a camera is zoomed in directly in front of the goal posts. And reply officials get a look at that angle or a coach can petition for a review.

Something not as bad occurred in the Nebraska-Wyoming game. Nebraska attempted a 50-yd FG just before halftime. On the camera angle behind the kicker, the football looked like it was above and inside the uprights. The whole Nebraska FG kicking squad looked beleaguered that the officials were not calling the attempt good since that was also their view. And on the camera angle below the goalposts (closer to the official's view), the football looked like it was also inside the uprights and the kick didn't appear to be as high. So I thought Nebraska got screwed in a close game at that point (14-7).

Later in the second half, Wyoming attempted a 32-yd FG. From the camera angle behind the kicker, the attempt was obviously wide left and ruled "no good" by the officials. However, when the camera angle below the goalposts was shown, the kick looked good - it appeared to go through the uprights at a sharp angle like the Toledo-Syracuse PAT.

This discrepancy led me to believe that either the Versus network has crappy camera work or that officials do not have the best point of view to make a correct call. Perhaps both. Maybe we'll see officials postioned behind the kicker and giving their call as well as having officials under the goal posts. And always having a good camera angle in front of the goal posts (behind the kicker) would help.
                    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Working...
                    X