Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other options

We don't really have any, right?

You're not going to scrap Heaps unless it's to invest in another young guy that might have more potential. We're obviously not going to go with Nelson for half a season then open it back up.

I don't get the feeling Lark or Munns have anything to offer us right now. Is that right?

Originally posted by jay santos View Post

You're not going to scrap Heaps unless it's to invest in another young guy that might have more potential. We're obviously not going to go with Nelson for half a season then open it back up.

I don't get the feeling Lark or Munns have anything to offer us right now. Is that right?
    I don't think the other guys would do much better. Can't say for sure though because I haven't seen them in games.

This has to do with attitude and coaching, not one player. You have running backs who fumble. You have an offensive line that isn't opening holes. You have a kick returner who runs one out of the end zone and gets replaced for doing it. The guy that replaces him doesn't even catch the kick off.

I really thought Bronco had returned to football as a number one priority last year and was going to instill that mentality. Obiously his pharisee and saducee comment indicates I was wrong.

He is into the "big picture". I am not an expert, but seems to me focusing on the basics and worrying about them would be a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
      I don't think the other guys would do much better. Can't say for sure though because I haven't seen them in games.

This has to do with attitude and coaching, not one player. You have running backs who fumble. You have an offensive line that isn't opening holes. You have a kick returner who runs one out of the end zone and gets replaced for doing it. The guy that replaces him doesn't even catch the kick off.

I really thought Bronco had returned to football as a number one priority last year and was going to instill that mentality. Obiously his pharisee and saducee comment indicates I was wrong.

He is into the "big picture". I am not an expert, but seems to me focusing on the basics and worrying about them would be a good idea.
      Right on. I think Bronco is capable of figuring this out, but right now he does need to figure this out. Like Elder Bednar said at something or other, "its good to be faithful, but its better to be faithful and competent." Bronco has a convert's zeal (or an inactive dude's reactivation zeal, whatever), so he still needs to learn the lesson that you make your own success, you can't just strategize intervention from the Almighty.
      Last edited by Cougarmandias; 09-19-2011, 03:29 PM.
      I think, perhaps, the only person who hates BYU fans more than ute fans hate BYU fans, is Bronco Mendenhall.
      -smokymountainrain

Menden Hall Hates Me.

Comment

Originally posted by Cougarmandias View Post
        I think Bronco is faithful of figuring this out, but right now he does need to figure this out. Like Elder Bednar said at something or other, "its good to be faithful, but its better to be faithful and competent." Bronco has a convert's zeal (or an inactive dude's reactivation zeal, whatever), so he still needs to learn the lesson that you make your own success, you can't just strategize intervention from the Almighty.
        Like comparing overzealous CC members to Pharisees?

Yeah Bronco, in the eternal scheme of things it doesn't matter but if I took the approach that meeting deadlines and performing good work in my job as a 5th priority I wouldn't be employed for very long.
        "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
          Like comparing overzealous CC members to Pharisees?

Yeah Bronco, in the eternal scheme of things it doesn't matter but if I took the approach that meeting deadlines and performing good work in my job as a 5th priority I wouldn't be employed for very long.
          Wasn't it Gordon B. Hinkley who talked prioritized things and put a person's job as being above the church? Not above God, necessarily, but above the church?

Now - I know for Bronco his employer and the church are the same. But his job for the church is coaching football. Someone else is assigned to head up the missionary department. I completely and fully support Bronco supporting the mission of his employer as a whole. But he needs to do that in the context of making sure his responsibilities are fulfilled before working on someone else's.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
            Wasn't it Gordon B. Hinkley who talked prioritized things and put a person's job as being above the church? Not above God, necessarily, but above the church?
            Yep. It was family, work, church, and self.
            Not that, sickos.

Comment

I think every BYU fan who cheered when Nelson came in is a doofus. I also don't think Lark or Munns is the answer. I do think that maybe Heaps has developed an attitude of complacency, subconsciously or otherwise, in that he expects to always have the starting job no matter what.

If Doman and the others took a closer look at the other qb candidates, I'm almost positive Heaps would still keep his starting job. However, maybe in this scenario he would feel threatened enough to try harder to reach his full potential as a player and a leader. Despite his foibles on Saturday, he actually put up decent numbers IMO, and I think he'll get better in time. It's his smug attitude that has me worried. Excusing your own turnover as "trying to make a heads up play" and then saying the other turnovers were worse is not the kind of attitude I would want in my qb.
              What I win, I keep. What you win, I keep.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_thekid View Post
                I think every BYU fan who cheered when Nelson came in is a doofus. I also don't think Lark or Munns is the answer. I do think that maybe Heaps has developed an attitude of complacency, subconsciously or otherwise, in that he expects to always have the starting job no matter what.

Dude, no offense but maybe you're the doofus. People weren't necessarily saying they want Riley to start. What they were saying is they were disappointed in Heaps. They also did it without offending Bronco by booing.

Read what I put in red again. If Heaps is truly approaching the season and his career in that manner then I will take any of our quarterbacks over him.

People vote with their feet and their voices. Hopefully Bronco and Jake to an extent, got he message loud and clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                  Dude, no offense but maybe you're the doofus. People weren't necessarily saying they want Riley to start. What they were saying is they were disappointed in Heaps. They also did it without offending Bronco by booing.

Read what I put in red again. If Heaps is truly approaching the season and his career in that manner then I will take any of our quarterbacks over him.

People vote with their feet and their voices. Hopefully Bronco and Jake to an extent, got he message loud and clear.
                  I think it's incredibly stupid for the fans to cheer Nelson like they did.
                  "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

Comment

If Doman and the others took a closer look at the other qb candidates, I'm almost positive Heaps would still keep his starting job. However, maybe in this scenario he would feel threatened enough to try harder to reach his full potential as a player and a leader. Despite his foibles on Saturday, he actually put up decent numbers IMO, and I think he'll get better in time. It's his smug attitude that has me worried. Excusing your own turnover as "trying to make a heads up play" and then saying the other turnovers were worse is not the kind of attitude I would want in my qb.
                    Don't confuse big numbers with good numbers. His pass rating was 108.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post

Are you one of those who I just categorized as a doofus?
                      The point I was trying to make is that I think out of all our options Heaps is still the one with the most potential and talent. Maybe if the coaches shook things up in practice a bit it would help him.
                      What I win, I keep. What you win, I keep.

Comment

Not a lot.

I keep having a lot of weird thoughts about this game. The one that troubles me the most is when I wonder if Nelson or even Lark had started the last three games would we only have three touchdowns in twelve quarters? Lark I'm not sure but with Nelson I'd wager we score more than that. Right now I have to think his quarterback IQ is higher than Jake's and his ability to run and throw the short and medium stuff may have been enough to keep the other defenses off balance enough to score. He sure as hell will not take errant shotgun snaps in a nonchalant manner and will try to make a tackle when he throws a pic. Riley is a gamer and at this point Jake is not.

Even with what I just wrote I vote to keep Jake in and pray he gets his crap together. However if he's chunking it like last game I'm all for making a mid-game switch to Nelson. It's not like he could do any worse. It might also get Jake's attention in a way nothing else has.

Comment

Don't confuse big numbers with good numbers. His pass rating was 108.
                          He did have a fumble and a fumble recovery on the same play, but still lost posession. How many players can say that?

I'm still very high on Heaps...just a tad frustrated at the moment.

Comment

BTW, having Shaka and Surfah with the same avatar is incredibly confusing. I'll be glad when this week is over.

Comment

Are you one of those who I just categorized as a doofus?
                              The point I was trying to make is that I think out of all our options Heaps is still the one with the most potential and talent. Maybe if the coaches shook things up in practice a bit it would help him.
                              Lol. I was happy to see Riley get a shot. And please note that he was marching down the field when our line didn't handle a blitz and two guys nailed him from the blindside.

Heaps was sucking and needed to sit. If you're right about his attitude and complacency then fans should have cheered louder when he was sat down.

Comment

Working...
                              X