Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kiff to coach the Vols

Anyone else surprised by this?

Kiff did a great job as an O-Co while at SC. As a head coach in Oakland I would dare to say that he accomplished very little.

Is this hire almost all due to the SC brand name?

I am surprised given the extremely high profile of the Tennessee program. That being said, are there currently any better alternatives? Who is looking for a coaching job right now? Willingham won't get a job anywhere significant for awhile and no program is going to hold its breath for The Butt get fired in South Bend.

This is very interesting because while Kiff has lots of ties to California (for recruiting purposes), now he has to recruit against PC. And in California, you don't recruit well against PC.

I supposed Kiff will still get his fair share of Southern recruits. Where do the majority of Vols players originate? Florida? Texas? The womb?
    Last edited by TripletDaddy; 11-28-2008, 06:31 PM.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post

Kiff did a great job as an O-Co while at SC. As a head coach in Oakland I would dare to say that he accomplished very little.

I am surprised given the extremely high profile of the Tennessee program. That being said, are there currently any better alternatives? Who is looking for a coaching job right now?

This is very interesting because while Kiff has lots of ties to California (for recruiting purposes), now he has to recruit against PC. And in California, you don't recruit well against PC.

I supposed Kiff will still get his fair share of Southern recruits. Where do the majority of Vols players originate? Florida? Texas? The womb?

Very surprised by this. While Kiff fits some of what is needed in Tennessee; A young energetic, dynamic personality, I still don't know if he can coach and two, I certainly don't know if he can build back a program. I also am not sure what he even proved at USC. They would have been much better off with the ties that a G. Patterson has and his proven track record. Plus his D philosophy would fit in well in the SEC.

I personally would have looked a Sark first before Kiffin. I also would have talked to chuck heater(has been with Meyer since 2004) or charlie strong DC at Florida since 03. They could have done all this, as I am not sure who they have or have not interviewed. Bottom line, I don't think Kiffin succeeds.

Tennessee usually recruits from Georgia, Alabama, FL, Texas, and LA.

Comment

He's going to be getting some help though. Rumor has it that his dad is going to leave Tampa Bay and come with him to Tennessee to be his defensive coordinator. That certainly won't hurt his cause.

Comment

I am surprised given the extremely high profile of the Tennessee program. That being said, are there currently any better alternatives? Who is looking for a coaching job right now? Willingham won't get a job anywhere significant for awhile and no program is going to hold its breath for The Butt get fired in South Bend.

That hiring should give Sark a better idea of where he stands; maybe the next Washington coach?

Comment

I read somewhere, no link provided, that he was bringing Orgeron as DC. Since college football is much more about talent that scheme, give to recruiters like Kiffin and Orgeron a place like Tennessee to recruit to and they will be very very good.
          Look at the talent Coach O brought into that hell hole of Ole Miss, now Nutt gets to reap the rewards. Much like Bronco did his first couple of years.
          Get confident, stupid
          -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
            I read somewhere, no link provided, that he was bringing Orgeron as DC. Since college football is much more about talent that scheme, give to recruiters like Kiffin and Orgeron a place like Tennessee to recruit to and they will be very very good.
            Look at the talent Coach O brought into that hell hole of Ole Miss, now Nutt gets to reap the rewards. Much like Bronco did his first couple of years.
            I agree if he has Orgeron who did a great job of recruiting at Ole Miss he might be alright. But with no ties to that region it will be tough to get top notch west coast kids to leave for Knoxville.

He will be competing against Meyer, Saban, Nutt (what a coach he has turned out to be) Spurrier, and Miles. That is tough.
            *Banned*

Comment

Good luck to Kiff in Tenn; he won't have uncle Pete watching his back! I give him 3 years before he's blown out of there.

Comment

On a sidenote....when/where does Sark take his first head coaching gig?

Do you think it'll be at a BCS School or not?

Comment

I was impressed with Kiffin as the Raiders head coach. He was completely and totally hamstrung by Al Davis. Until Davis dies the Raiders will continue to be a mess. I thought Kiffin did a very good job there all things considered and I was frustrated that Davis screwed him over. I think he'll do a very good job. He's a good coach and will recruit well. He'll have Tennessee winning again very quickly.
                  A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by SipiTau View Post
                    Good luck to Kiff in Tenn; he won't have uncle Pete watching his back! I give him 3 years before he's blown out of there.
                    You really think so? I think 3 years is the minimum any coach needs to win, particularly with college and recruiting. If he gets it he'll be successful.
                    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                    -Turtle
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RockyBalboa View Post
                      On a sidenote....when/where does Sark take his first head coaching gig?

Do you think it'll be at a BCS School or not?
                      Sark will definitely get a BCS nod if he wants it. Might not be a gig like Kiff has just allegedly landed, but he would definitely get offers from most PAC teams that had vacancies.

I am not sure Sark is head coaching material, at least not yet. If he were smart, and I think he is, he would ride PCs coattails for as long as possible.

Sipi might have better insight on this, but I have not heard any serious rumblings about Sark leaving, or even considering leaving. If anything, Kiff's adventure in Oakland may have put the fear back into Sark.
                      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Sark will definitely get a BCS nod if he wants it. Might not be a gig like Kiff has just allegedly landed, but he would definitely get offers from most PAC teams that had vacancies.

I am not sure Sark is head coaching material, at least not yet. If he were smart, and I think he is, he would ride PCs coattails for as long as possible.

Sipi might have better insight on this, but I have not heard any serious rumblings about Sark leaving, or even considering leaving. If anything, Kiff's adventure in Oakland may have put the fear back into Sark.
                        Some prognosticators think that Sark will bide his time at USC until or if Carroll decides to try his hand at the NFL one more time.

I don't see that happening. Pete looks like he's having too much fun.

Comment

Originally posted by RockyBalboa View Post
                          Some prognosticators think that Sark will bide his time at USC until or if Carroll decides to try his hand at the NFL one more time.

I don't see that happening. Pete looks like he's having too much fun.
                          I heard that Pete was very close as in he signed hsi first name and not his last for the Cardinals job a few years back. Pete has not failed at to many things in life but the NFL was one of them, I think he wants redemption.
                          *Banned*

Comment

Working...
                          X