Here's the deal about the Texas lost that gets my goat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's the deal about the Texas lost that gets my goat

Week #1 - Texas touts that they are playing 18 true freshman vs. Rice. Thereby setting up an instant excuse if they needed it if they lost to BYU. But, also, they are developing their players, no doubt.

So...the thing that really really just rubs me the wrong way, is that THIS was probably the BEST shot BYU has to beat those guys.

BYU's essentially veteran team...lost to a bunch of true FRESHMEN!!! THAT, is hard for me to swallow.

Do you think that in two more years, when Heaps is a senior, and all those Longhorns come rolling into Provo, that will now be 3 year veteran Juniors are gonna be easier to handle?

"...we let em' off the hook!" Tis true.
    "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.

Originally posted by Borg View Post
    Week #1 - Texas touts that they are playing 18 true freshman vs. Rice. Thereby setting up an instant excuse if they needed it if they lost to BYU. But, also, they are developing their players, no doubt.

So...the thing that really really just rubs me the wrong way, is that THIS was probably the BEST shot BYU has to beat those guys.

BYU's essentially veteran team...lost to a bunch of true FRESHMEN!!! THAT, is hard for me to swallow.

Do you think that in two more years, when Heaps is a senior, and all those Longhorns come rolling into Provo, that will now be 3 year veteran Juniors are gonna be easier to handle?

"...we let em' off the hook!" Tis true.
    I think Texas will be easier to handle in 2 years under the following assumptions:

1. None of the current Texas players age or gain any experience, while BYU's players do age and gain experience
    2. Texas does not bring in any new talented HS recruits in the next 2 years

If those 2 things happen, then BYU should do well, especially since the game is at home.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

BYU has always been at its best when we have upperclassmen -- usually seniors -- at the skill positions on offense. I get that we have a lot of experience on the o-line and in the the backfield, but offense is what makes BYU go and I have have a hard time looking at us as a veteran team because of where we stand at the majority of the skill positions on offense.

I guess a loss like this doesn't irk me a ton because I still view us as a young team as well.
      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

The other assumption is that Jeaps sticks around for his senior season. Although if keeps playing like this....my guess is that he will stick around
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          I think Texas will be easier to handle in 2 years under the following assumptions:

1. None of the current Texas players age or gain any experience, while BYU's players do age and gain experience
          2. Texas does not bring in any new talented HS recruits in the next 2 years

If those 2 things happen, then BYU should do well, especially since the game is at home.
          There is another way. When the Texas players come to town, we have some of Tonya's friends pay them a visit.

"I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

In three years all of those Texas players are going to head to the NFL and we'll be playing against freshmen again.

Talented freshmen, to be sure. But freshmen.

In all reality - I don't see BYU as being experienced. A sophmore QB? RS freshman is our best WR? All the TE's are sophmores?

BYU is far from experienced. Perhaps more than Texas - but not enough to make up for the difference in talent.

That said - BYU did let them off the hook. It is disappointing. But disappointment is for Saturday night, Sunday, and the offseason. We've already begun prep work for the next game. Time to move on.

Comment

NO NO BYU is inexperienced! Not Texas!
              Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                BYU is far from experienced. Perhaps more than Texas - but not enough to make up for the difference in talent.
                That would be my position as well. In the 2nd half the talent discrepancy became quite obvious and we don't have the level of experience yet to offset that.
                So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

The crazy thing is that Texas played a ton of true freshman last year also.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I will assume that the Texas lost include Moliere, nikuman, Babs, and UncleTed, though I think that's a somewhat harsh way to refer to them.
                    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post

2. Texas does not bring in any new talented HS recruits in the next 2 years.
                      I would add that it will also help if Texas scores fewer points than BYU.

Comment

Working...
                      X