BYU thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BYU thoughts

I watched the final 2.5 qtrs and then the replay at least once. Many of my opinions could be in various threads so I decided to consolidate them because my geniusness should be concentrated in one place!

1.) I thought the OL is the best OL BYU has had in a very long time. It appeared to me that BYU really controlled the LOS. Heaps had plenty of time to throw and the backs had very big holes to run through. I thought the Ole Miss DL and LBs were decent, but innexperienced. However, usually BYU OLs that we were expecting to be good would struggle with run blocking against any BCS caliber squad - even BCS caliber squads that were not real good. This OL appears to be really good, much more athletic than BYU OLs in the past.

2.) I think that Ross Apo is really vital to this offense. IMO, the biggest difference between the first half and the second half was Apo's ability to start getting open against one-one coverage. Apo does not yet understand the offense but BYU has no choice but to grow with Ross. Historically, the inability for WRs to beat 1-1 coverage is BYU's offensive achilles heal. I think Apo has the ability to hurt teams that play BYU that way. We saw a little of it against Ole Miss and it is my most intense hope that we see more of it the next two weeks. I think with Heaps' arm strength and the size of BYU WRs, BYU can compensate with well executed long outs and other mid-range pass plays that stretch the field sideline to sideline, but to execute that style of play requires more experience than BYU has at both qb and wr, but it will come. Right now, BYU's offense is significantly better when teams have to consider Ross Apo. I am skeptical Cody Hoffman will ever really be able to consistently beat 1-1 coverage, but if Apo can do it it will really open things up for Cody and I think he will thrive.

3.) I expect Texas to blitz DBs significantly. Jake was really shaken up by that corner blitz. BYU was adjusting to the speed of the Ole Miss CBs, I thought it took Apo until the 2nd half to start asserting himself, and that sack of Jake really slowed BYU down until the 2nd half. I didn't watch the Texas game so I don't have an opinion on how the Texas front 4 can pressure Heaps, but from what I saw against Ole Miss the best way to get pressure on Heaps is unconventional blitzes from areas the OL isn't responsible to block - especially with BYU using so much play action as the RBs might not be athletic enough to get there.

4.) Pass defense vs rush defense. Football is the greatest team sport because it is the ultimate whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Different aspects of the game can really profoundly influence each other. BYU stopped Ole Miss' rush defense butt cold. We all know the RBs and the OL that Ole Miss was returning. The reason BYU did it was because the Y sold out house and home to stop the run. Mendenhall is always a stop the run first DC, but he really went the extra mile against Ole Miss. It was a smart gameplan as it forced Ole Miss to beat BYU through the air. Ole Miss was unable to do that with any level of consistency. I also think that the defensive focus exposed BYU to the pass more than it will normally be exposed. I am not claiming that BYU has a great defensive backfield, just that I think with BYU clearly moving the safeties up into rush defense the CBs gave an even larger cushion than normal by design. The intent was to force Ole Miss to consistently execute, which Ole Miss was unable to do. Against Texas , who is more offensively balanced, my guess is the BYU rush defense will not look quite as good but the BYU pass defense will look better.

5.) BYU's OLBs are really, really, really good. Their ability to cover sideline to sideline and get pressure on opposing qbs is exceptional. This was likely the best OL BYU will face and the Y could routinely get pressure on the opposing QB by bringing 4 rushers. The flexibility and athleticism of Van Noy, Pendleton and Frazier really open things up defensively. It allows BYU to basically play 3 DTs on the DL who all demand double teams and the LBs can just fly around making plays. I think Pendleton and Van Noy are better than Kehl and Nixon. Nixon was one of the most fundamentally sound players BYU has had, but Van Noy is an absolute freak of nature. So is Pendleton. If those two stay healthy BYU is going to have a really good defense.

6.) I am not worried about the BYU offense. I think that it will look more 2nd half than 1st half. I do think that the critical mistakes and symptoms of youth will continue all year long. I even think it very well may cost BYU a couple of games. The only way to fix it is sweet time. There is nothing I can see other than the lack of experience that is a problem.

7.) I was really impressed with Heaps' and Doman's composure. I think this is a reflection of Mendenhall. While Mendenhall has his shortcomings one of his strengths is that he is the anti-Crowton. Mendenhall's biggest weakness is an inability to make effective in game adjustments. However, Mendenhall is not easily moved off of his plans. The offense kept shooting itself in the foot but it appeared to me that nobody every panicked. From the young qb to the very young OC calling his first game. They stuck with what they knew was working and showed real guts and toughness in the face of consistent debilitating mistakes at critical points. I am convinced that even if Van Noy had not scored that defensive TD, the offense was going to march down the field and win the damn game. BYU was composed on offense and was never going to rush as the gameplan was to be methodical in order to shorten the game given the conditions in which BYU was playing. Watching Doman continue to guide the ship that way and watching Heaps rebound from critical mistakes positively gave me great hope for the future.

8.) I still think really consistently great football for this core of players is one more year away. I might not be seeing holes that exist, but I think this squad might be able to take the jump from this year to next that many of us were expecting from the 2007 squad to 2008.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

As great as the Van Noy sack and fumble recovery for a TD was, I agree with you that I was of the belief that BYU was now moving the ball and would've scored had the defense simply held and forced a punt.

In some ways, it almost feels like it would've been better for the that team if it had ended that way. The defense already has all of the confidence in the world. The offense was lacking. And once the TD was scored, they went into conservative mode to run clock.

On the other hand, if not scoring the last TD puts a sense of urgency into the offense, I'm OK with that too.

Comment

I came away a bit worried about Heaps. Not his physical tools and his ability to throw the ball, but his mental tools. No not that. He is a smart articulate kid. I wonder though if he is a John Beck or Max Hall type. I think those guys would work their tails off to make sure they were at the top of their game.

Sometimes I wonder if Heaps talks his tail off to be at the top of his game. No way am I calling for any changes. He has proven to be a dang good QB. I just wonder if he has "it" and will be a dang, dang good QB.

Comment

Napper -

I agree. Bronco sold out to stop the run...so much so, that I was worried all game long as I saw the safeties first initial reaction was to "step toward" the line of scrimmage instead of stepping back for pass coverage.

I was worried all game long that they were going to hit one deep on us for 6. Great gameplan, coach had studied well the weaknesses of Ole Miss and rolled the dice and came out on top.

Fun, game overall. Real battle of will on both sides.
        "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
          I came away a bit worried about Heaps. Not his physical tools and his ability to throw the ball, but his mental tools. No not that. He is a smart articulate kid. I wonder though if he is a John Beck or Max Hall type. I think those guys would work their tails off to make sure they were at the top of their game.

Sometimes I wonder if Heaps talks his tail off to be at the top of his game. No way am I calling for any changes. He has proven to be a dang good QB. I just wonder if he has "it" and will be a dang, dang good QB.
          I think Heaps is really motivated. There is no way a kid could be that polished that early in his career without a superior work ethic.

I thought that the way he recovered from both the sack and the mistakes indicate he is very mentally tough. I think that he will be dominant as both a junior and a senior. This year will be some great games and some decent games. I really believe he will be really good once he and his skill players are more experienced.
          Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
          -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
          -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Worries:
            - Didn't try and tackle a dude
            - Really got shaken after that hit

Positives:
            - Recovered after a horrible first half to have a terrific 2nd half
            - Showed no lack on confidence in himself and brought us right back down the field after a back breaking pick 6

We definitely learned a lot about the kid, more of it good than bad.
            So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

I've noticed that quite often the teams that have a good QB that has good stats are quite often also the teams with a QB who just puts the ball out there and gives his WR a shot at getting to it. Sometimes the guy is wide open, sometimes he is covered and makes a play.

We kept hearing that BYU's WR's couldn't get open against man coverage. Well, I watched a lot of games over the weekend in which WR's in man coverage had a DB right with them and caught the ball. But the QB has to give him a shot.

I don't want Jake to be careless with the ball - but I would be OK with him having a little bit of trust for his 6 foot plus WR's to make a play and catch the ball.

Of course - I would also love to see Apo catch more like Chambers. It doesn't matter if you are 6'3" and the DB is 5'9" if you are catching the ball at waist level. I'd love to see him catch it high where the DB can't knock it down.

And I think the USU onside kick failure is a great example of why you don't jump and try to catch the ball into your stomach. You've got to go up and get it before it someone else can.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                Of course - I would also love to see Apo catch more like Chambers. It doesn't matter if you are 6'3" and the DB is 5'9" if you are catching the ball at waist level. I'd love to see him catch it high where the DB can't knock it down.
                I know what you are saying but...Chambers?
                Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                  Say what you want about Chambers, but he did catch with his hands. The guy even fielded kickoff returns over his head with his hands like he was catching a pass. Scared me to death.

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                    OK - let's use Harline, or Pita, or even Collie. All examples of guys who would sometimes catch it high. Chambers was just the most recent example I could think of - and he REALLY got his hands up to catch the ball. I like that about him.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                      Worries:
                      - Didn't try and tackle a dude
                      - Really got shaken after that hit

Positives:
                      - Recovered after a horrible first half to have a terrific 2nd half
                      - Showed no lack on confidence in himself and brought us right back down the field after a back breaking pick 6

We definitely learned a lot about the kid, more of it good than bad.
                      Heaps seems to be a kid who plays best when there is a little bit of pressure, with a chip on his shoulder. He was money in the 2nd half, save the INT which was a great play by the safety to bait him into that pick. Hopefully he learns from that and he should be fine.

One stat that was surprising to me was that Saturday was the largest comeback for BYU under Bronco Mendenhall, overcoming a 13-point deficit to win. I was most impressed with the resiliency of the team in that I never felt that the game was out of reach, save the moment that the pass to Ole Miss' WR was heading for his wide open hands in the EZ which would have put them up 17-0.

Comment

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
                        Heaps seems to be a kid who plays best when there is a little bit of pressure, with a chip on his shoulder. He was money in the 2nd half, save the INT which was a great play by the safety to bait him into that pick. Hopefully he learns from that and he should be fine.
                        Definitely noticed that as well. He doesn't seem like the Hall type in that he's going to get up in a defenders face or be real aggressive physically, but rather he's going to channel it into his play. He looked dialed in after the shitty first half and was really letting go of the thing in the 2nd.
                        So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Working...
                        X